Page 1 of 2
My friend gave me this 16gb iPhone 4 4.1 for some "stuff" I gave him. I want to sell it. Problem is, it has a locked SIM. Anyway to get around that and unlock it or whatever so I can make some money off it?

P.S. I'm not asking for any moral standpoints or anything like that. I know it's probably not his or whatev but I am desperate to pay rent so I just need some help with getting around this.
Last edited by Stoner0405 at May 14, 2011,
yes. next time buy an iphone with cash instead of weed.

you're more likely to get legit buyers.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
its an iphone 4

you cant get 4G on iphones.

and yes you can unlock phones, try google and do some research how about? itll cost you about 20$.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Your avatar and sig suggest that the "stuff" you gave him was weed.

EDIT: And your username
Check out my fitness blog here
If you don't want to spend the money to get it unlocked, research the process for "jailbreaking" the phone. I know people that have done it and it has no limitations at all anymore.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by Sewn Up
If you don't want to spend the money to get it unlocked, research the process for "jailbreaking" the phone. I know people that have done it and it has no limitations at all anymore.

wrong.

jailbreaking doesnt release the simcard lock.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
If I jailbreak it rather than unlock it (i dont even know the difference ) will that inhibit how much money i can get for it? Cause ive seen some on ebay that are unlocked going for over 500 bucks. Then other iphones going for like 200 or 300 and i dont know what makes them different.

EDIT: ^ok so nevermind that then.
Quote by Stoner0405
My friend gave me this 16gb iPhone 4 4.1 for some "stuff"

PENIS!?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Call up o2 or orange or whatever network it's on and ask them to unlock it. Will probably take about 10 hours.
Seriously, why are you saying "stuff" when your username, avatar and sig tells everyone what this "stuff" is with a megaphone?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
one thing i know is unlocking a simcard for an iphone is a buthurt and annoying as fukc thing to do. i spent a month on my dad's iphone trying to unlock an irish O2 number.

just fukcing resell it to some stoner for your weed back and make some weed profit.
You can unlock the iPhone, and Jailbreak it, those are two different things, but can be done with the same program. Unlocking/Jailbreaking will not reduce the amount of money you can get for it, it might even increase it. Just look on YouTube for the steps required. It is free. Good luck.
Quote by Brad_Bassist
You can unlock the iPhone, and Jailbreak it, those are two different things, but can be done with the same program. Unlocking/Jailbreaking will not reduce the amount of money you can get for it, it might even increase it. Just look on YouTube for the steps required. It is free. Good luck.

again wrong,

simcard unlocking and jailbreaking have nothing to do with eachother.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Spend less time smoking/dealing pot and spend more time learning about technology.
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
again wrong,

That's why I said "Are two different things" Learn to read.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
again wrong,

> jailbreak
> open cydia
> add source
> open sourced app
> unlock phone

they may not be involved but they can be linked.
There is no point in unlocking the simcard as whoever buys the phone will get a new simcard from the carrier

what you want to do is unlock the phone so it can use any simcard placed in it

*edit*
If you know who the carrier was you can try calling them and asking for the unlock code
\
_\,,
"-=\~ _
\\~___( ~
_|/---\\_
\ \
Quote by Brad_Bassist
That's why I said "Are two different things" Learn to read.

they cant be done by the same program like you said. Learn to knowledge.

unless a new program has been released which breaks the rules of how it worked before.

Because simcard unlocking has to do with the carrier and knowing the proper unlock code for you specific phone. You need the password for your phone provided by the carrier, most of them get leaked and you can get them for about 20$ online.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by Unicorns
There is no point in unlocking the simcard as whoever buys the phone will get a new simcard from the carrier

what you want to do is unlock the phone so it can use any simcard placed in it

And I can do this without having to bypass the sim lock? Also, I hear there is no unlock/jailbreak method for the version 4.1 Any knowledge of that?
Quote by Stoner0405
And I can do this without having to bypass the sim lock? Also, I hear there is no unlock/jailbreak method for the version 4.1 Any knowledge of that?

update it to 4.2.2 or whatever the most recent release is.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
they cant be done by the same program like you said. Learn to knowledge.

unless a new program has been released which breaks the rules of how it worked before.

Because simcard unlocking has to do with the carrier and knowing the proper unlock code for you specific phone. You need the password for your phone provided by the carrier, most of them get leaked and you can get them for about 20$ online.

Redsn0w has been able to unlock iPhones for a long time now. Look it up for yourself if you want. I know what I'm talking about.
Quote by Stoner0405

with a latest software ver. of the latest model, your chances are slim. don't fukc up your iphone and get your weed back. i'm being serious.
Quote by Brad_Bassist
Redsn0w has been able to unlock iPhones for a long time now. Look it up for yourself if you want. I know what I'm talking about.

you have a point. which is very surprising i wonder how it finds the code.

however from what i am reading it only unlocks the variants of 4.0.x

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
update it to 4.2.2 or whatever the most recent release is.

I can't update it or do anything because of the sim lock.

Quote by laid-to-waste
with a latest software ver. of the latest model, your chances are slim. don't fukc up your iphone and get your weed back. i'm being serious.

I gave him like 50 bucks worth and this iphone could be worth a shit ton so im gonna work with it.
Quote by Stoner0405
I can't update it or do anything because of the sim lock.

the updater runs through itunes im pretty sure...

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by Stoner0405

I gave him like 50 bucks worth and this iphone could be worth a shit ton so im gonna work with it.

the guy's either stupid, or he knows he's just given you something worth nothing.

i don't know him though so i'll leave that up to you.
Just jailbreak and unlock it...
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by JimmyBanks6
you have a point. which is very surprising i wonder how it finds the code.

however from what i am reading it only unlocks the variants of 4.0.x

Ultrasn0w 1.2 can unlock 4.2.1. Many videos about it on Youtube. Problem solved.
Last edited by Brad_Bassist at May 14, 2011,
Quote by Brad_Bassist
Ultrasn0w 1.2 can unlock 4.2.1. Update to that by downloading the 4.2.1 iOS file, plug it into your computer, hold shift+check for update, open the firmware, and wait. Then run Ultrasn0w and unlock. There. Problem solved.

TS do what this guy said

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Take out the SIM and buy a new one?
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by rock.freak667
Take out the SIM and buy a new one?

Quote by JimmyBanks6
TS do what this guy said

If the phone is Sim locked chances are its stolen and the actual owner called apple and had them remotely shut it off. to which I think they're useless.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Okay, you guys obviously don't know much about iphones. TS, I'll clear this all up for you.

In order to unlock the iphone (make it work with any SIM card), you'll first need to jailbreak.

When you jailbreak, what you're doing is essentially removing the blocks apple set up on the phone to stop people from modifying it in a way that apple doesn't want.
A good forum if you need help is at ifans.com (this better not get me banned, it's not advertisement and has no competition with UG.)

they can help you with specifics if you have any problems.

Before I can help you though, do you have a Mac or a PC?
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
Okay, you guys obviously don't know much about iphones. TS, I'll clear this all up for you.

In order to unlock the iphone (make it work with any SIM card), you'll first need to jailbreak.

When you jailbreak, what you're doing is essentially removing the blocks apple set up on the phone to stop people from modifying it in a way that apple doesn't want.
A good forum if you need help is at ifans.com (this better not get me banned, it's not advertisement and has no competition with UG.)

they can help you with specifics if you have any problems.

Before I can help you though, do you have a Mac or a PC?

it's sim locked, meaning he can't even activate it.

also, jailbreaking an iphone 4 is risky right now.
Quote by laid-to-waste

he can always hacktivate it, I know PwnageTool does that, at least.

what's risky about it? DFU + restore can fix pretty much anything.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by laid-to-waste

why would jailbreaking it be risky right now?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by fearofthemark
he can always hacktivate it, I know PwnageTool does that, at least.

what's risky about it? DFU + restore can fix pretty much anything.

too many DFUs can actually fukc up the hardware. not kidding. it made me go to the apple store one too many times.

also, some things aren't solved by a restore + DFU. yes, i'm talking about software. some things you fukc up when jailbreaking doesn't fix. jailbraking an iphone is not an apple procedure, restoring is. it's like calling the police to find your missing weed.

Quote by JimmyBanks6
why would jailbreaking it be risky right now?

the only jailbreak out for the iphone 4 is tethered; incomplete, experimental and risky.
Page 1 of 2