Hey guys, I recently got a Schecter Hellraiser Anniversary C-1 to use for gigging and I absolutely frikkin love it. However, I have been a long time Gibson/Epiphone Flying V fan and when I found out about the Jeff Waters Annihilation V, I began lusting for it. I'd love to get them both but it's either one or the other and Jeff happens to be my favorite guitar player. They are the same price and I am still within the 30 day return policy for Guitar Center so if I wanted to, I could just go and exchange the Schecter for the Epiphone.

What do you guys think? Which guitar would sound better in general?(I play metal but I like messing around with blues, jazz, and dark/instrumental guitar music) Also, which one can take a bigger beating? Because I plan on playing it a LOT.
well the schecter is about twice the price of the epiphone so itll probably be better built and better quality, both have coiltaps and high quality pickups,(altho emgs are generally pretty poor for cleans and jazz like tones and annihilator have a lot of clean parts in their songs so the cleans from the epip must be good) Also the epi has a killswitch which i personally think would be pretty awesome. Id say the schecter is priobably the better guitar but id get the v because it looks awesome, has a killswitch and i love jeffs tone
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Hellraisers are built like TANKS!! i can say hands down they one of the most reliable guitars iv played and a lot of other people would agree, if your a metal player then the EMG's are good if your into actives, i also get an amazing clean tone out of my 707's

the hellraiser will have a thicker neck than the epiphone so i guess thats better if you have bigger hands, but if not the epi would get that one. If im not mistaken the hell has a longer scale length that the epi so (from a personal view on tone/string tension/ ect.) that would win it (for me)

personally Id keep the hell but i am a massive fan boy.

why not just send the schecter back, get the epi and test it for a bit, then if its not for you go back and get the hell, if its in good nic they cant say no!
I would go for a Gibson Flying V. I think they look better and they're better quality than the Jeff Waters V. I'm also not a fan of the Schecter guitars' neck in general. It's not that hard to get a killswitch and after all, I think Jeff's sound are his own fingers and picking and also his amps, not mainly his guitar.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by RetroGunslinger
well the schecter is about twice the price of the epiphone so itll probably be better built and better quality, both have coiltaps and high quality pickups,(altho emgs are generally pretty poor for cleans and jazz like tones and annihilator have a lot of clean parts in their songs so the cleans from the epip must be good) Also the epi has a killswitch which i personally think would be pretty awesome. Id say the schecter is priobably the better guitar but id get the v because it looks awesome, has a killswitch and i love jeffs tone

At guitar center, they're actually the same price haha. But it does seem like the Annihilation V has more features. I've heard a lot of good feedback about it too so I doubt its like the other Flying V's Epiphone's made. It seems like Jeff really wanted to make sure it was not just another cheap version of a Gibson guitar like most other Epi's are.

Quote by mr7string
Hellraisers are built like TANKS!! i can say hands down they one of the most reliable guitars iv played and a lot of other people would agree, if your a metal player then the EMG's are good if your into actives, i also get an amazing clean tone out of my 707's

the hellraiser will have a thicker neck than the epiphone so i guess thats better if you have bigger hands, but if not the epi would get that one. If im not mistaken the hell has a longer scale length that the epi so (from a personal view on tone/string tension/ ect.) that would win it (for me)

personally Id keep the hell but i am a massive fan boy.

why not just send the schecter back, get the epi and test it for a bit, then if its not for you go back and get the hell, if its in good nic they cant say no!

It does seem pretty solidly built. I totally agree with you on the EMG's being good for metal but RetroGunslinger mentioned, Jeff uses clean tones a lot and his selection of pickups for the Annihilation V might be a bit better. But in terms of the neck, I do love the Hellraiser's more. It feels more comfortable on my hand for some reason and it's really easy to do hammer ons and pull offs.

You're right though, I have to definitely try it out on the same amp to make sure. However, the guitar center in my area doesn't have any Annihilation V's in stock and I'd probably have to get them to order it from their website so I can't really try it out.

Hmmm... its tough lol.

And Sakke, I have a Gibson Flying V. It's pretty amazing but I've done several modifications to it. I honestly did not like the stock pickups for it and swapped them out for Duncans. Also got grovers for it. I am not looking for another Gibson Flying V though. I want something other than the 1967 model and that's usually all that Gibson ships out unless it's a pricey special edition one or a signature.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I'm confused.

So do you have the Schecter, or are you choosing between that or the V?

I bought a Schecter Hellraiser Anniversary edition C-1. Then I found out about the Annihilation V and began considering returning the Schecter and getting the Annihilation V instead.
^To me, your post sounded like you are A FAN of Epi/Gibson Flying Vs, not that you own one.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.