Page 1 of 4
EDIT: Have instead opted for a 7 for myself. More practical at the moment.

Other plans were scrapped, decided instead to opt for an 7 string, and since the girlfriend asked, I'm building her a 7 string that she designed herself.

Specs for the 7 string:

Mahogany body
Maple neck
Bloodwood
Grover tuners
Hipshot bridge
BKP pups
26 inch scale
White paintjob, custom black graphic on it. Undecided on that.

Specs for the 7

Mahogany body
Maple neck
Grover tuners
Hipshot bridge
BKP Painkillers
26 inch scale
Red and black paintjob.

So, these are the two guitars templated. (The 8 string I got a bit...antsy on. Thats why the line is there outside of the outline. Failed idea. :P )

My 8 string. (Essentially an RG 228)

Girlfriends 7, her design.

So, these babies are gonna be bandsawed and routed here fairly soon, and then the fun work begins.

Suggestions, input, fascination, cool story bros, or anything else?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at Jul 30, 2011,

I'm just waiting on a guy to get back to me, he's my contact for the bandsaw and such. He's got some other work he's doing, but within the next week and a half or so, these things should be at LEAST cut out, if not routed as well.

EDIT: Fun fact about her design, she's not one for wasting space, so the way its going to be laid out, think bass-ish. If you guys have seen how a lot of basses have the bridge down near the end of the body, thats how this will end up.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at May 14, 2011,
Nice to see my design is getting some praise Particularly happy how the design came out considering I started with all intentions of basing it off of a Breedlove Mark II. I'll be checking back in this thread pretty often as well since I've got a lot of involvement in at least my guitar. And although everything's been pretty decided in regards to specs, I'd like to see any suggestions anyone may have on it to keep in mind for stuff I might be involved in working on in the future.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
i just hope that the se7en dosent turns out to be a pink guitar with barbie graphics
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by sadSTATUE
Nice to see my design is getting some praise Particularly happy how the design came out considering I started with all intentions of basing it off of a Breedlove Mark II. I'll be checking back in this thread pretty often as well since I've got a lot of involvement in at least my guitar. And although everything's been pretty decided in regards to specs, I'd like to see any suggestions anyone may have on it to keep in mind for stuff I might be involved in working on in the future.

With a 7, you may consider a 26.5" scale. That extra inch makes quite the difference in tension on that B. nice to see you going with passives though. I love the passives in my 7.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Seven looks unique...lookin forward to this build.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Something to the think about:

If the guitar body is neither A) Extremely tiny or B) Going to have less bottom horn than shown, then the upper fret access is going to sadden me.

(Implying you really are putting the bridge right near the end of the body.)
Quote by deepsal
i just hope that the se7en dosent turns out to be a pink guitar with barbie graphics

I resent that
Actually I'm toying with the idea of doing a deep red stain with the edges in black.
Quote by shaggydogJV
With a 7, you may consider a 26.5" scale. That extra inch makes quite the difference in tension on that B.

Very much considering. The scale was chosen based on one I've played that I was incredibly comfortable with. Although it DID have a lot of tension related issues with the strings it had. Anyone would know how the 26.5" might handle flatwound 11s?
Quote by Knurlheim
Something to the think about:
If the guitar body is neither A) Extremely tiny or B) Going to have less bottom horn than shown, then the upper fret access is going to sadden me.

That was originally brought up when I did the very early stages of the design. Although that's a very true point, given my playing habits, it won't affect anything too much. May make a few adjustments though to make it a little more comfortable just in case.
I compared your gear and your girlfriend's gear side by side :faceplam:
shame on you
btw i'd love to see you play that 8 with spiderman ii
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by deepsal
shame on you

He doesn't have that anymore. I made sure of it.
I personally don't really like the design of the body. But your guitar i suppose. I think that having a longer scale is a good idea if you're tuning below standard tuning because it gives you a bit better tension on the lower notes without having to use thick strings. I think 11s should be fine mate. There is no reaosn it should be a massive problem.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by deepsal
shame on you

I h aven't updated that list in aaaages

I sold that POS years ago. I'm still saving for a better amp, but I'm running a valveking at the moment.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

For the 7 I'd say make the bottom horn a wee bit smaller for higher fret access, and I can't help but feel that there's SOMETHING missing with the bottom... Not sure what, but SOMETHING.

As for the 8, I'm saying design yourself a more original body shape, like your girlfriend has.
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by sadSTATUE
I resent that
Actually I'm toying with the idea of doing a deep red stain with the edges in black.

Very much considering. The scale was chosen based on one I've played that I was incredibly comfortable with. Although it DID have a lot of tension related issues with the strings it had. Anyone would know how the 26.5" might handle flatwound 11s?

That was originally brought up when I did the very early stages of the design. Although that's a very true point, given my playing habits, it won't affect anything too much. May make a few adjustments though to make it a little more comfortable just in case.

I used to play 12s and a 68 B tuned to standard on my 26.5". It should hold 11st fine.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by MickAlmighty
For the 7 I'd say make the bottom horn a wee bit smaller for higher fret access, and I can't help but feel that there's SOMETHING missing with the bottom... Not sure what, but SOMETHING.

This is a good point to bring up that around the sides and bottom, there are going to be beveled edges, which is what those faint lines indicate that you may or may not have seen. Depending on what we end up having the ability to actually do, I'll probably thin out the bottom horn with a fairlysharp bevel as well, keeping the shape but making access to the higher frets much easier. As opposed to keeping it as is, that is.

Quote by shaggydogJV
I used to play 12s and a 68 B tuned to standard on my 26.5". It should hold 11st fine.

Excellent In that case, I think I'll be making that change to the specs.
Last edited by sadSTATUE at May 18, 2011,
Fair enough, sounds good. Looking forward to seeing these in process. Will the body not be a tad bulky? Especially on (no offence or sexism meant) a female? Unless your freakishly huge? Haha
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
You'd think that, but when you find out I'm 12 feet tall, things tend to change

I kid of course, but the shape, although inspired by a Mark II stylewise, is actually based loosely around a Tregan Shaman, since we have immediate access to one for measurements. And from what I have access to (which is quite a lot as I run a guitar shop >_>, this one was a) closest to what I'm trying to achieve and b) incredibly comfortable for me to play as well.
GOD DAMN! And I thought Andre the Giant was tall!!

Whatre the measurements for the body??? Widest part of the body and whatnot?

Still looks abit beefy?

Unless the pics are just fairly close up on the wood, making it look bigger than it is
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...

Lessee... *grabs ruler* Widest point is about 11 in., midline is 13.5 in, and the overall length from bottom point to the longest point on top horn is about 18, if that gives you some idea.
Ah, so it's not really as big as It looks from the pictures then?

Looking forward to seeing this in action!

And convince the chap to do a more original design! I demand more custom guitars to be properly custom!!! I DEE-MAN-DUH EET!!!
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Quote by MickAlmighty
Ah, so it's not really as big as It looks from the pictures then?

Looking forward to seeing this in action!

And convince the chap to do a more original design! I demand more custom guitars to be properly custom!!! I DEE-MAN-DUH EET!!!

Now you've got him thinking, he's standing over the blank staring at it talking to himself.
Got someone thinking?

My work here is done! I shall return in approx 45 minutes, expecting to see ATLEAST ONE new idea!

If I dont... There WILL be consequences!
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
God damn right you got me thinking

My only problem here being that I marked it out with marker. So its sorta already on its path to creation. That, and the rotozip line is very, very permanent

My thoughts here, depending on how it turns out, I'll sell it, get higher quality wood, and build me my dream guitar. Thats what its looking like so far.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

There's always the other side... Or paper?
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Well with the other side, I run into the issue of hitting that rotozip line. My impatience has become this roadblock of insurmountable proportions.

By paper you mean drawing out the ideas? Because that is very much doable.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

In which case... Paper or cardboard

Or White spirit? Should remove the marker and not damage the wood?
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Then I still have that rotozip line to worry about

I could remove the marker, but that line is very permanent. And I don't want wood filler mucking up my beautiful guitar. I dunno, I'm hitting roadblocks here. I'm thinking about buying yet another blank off ebay (**** yeah cheap blanks) and goin crazy with it.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Aye, probably for the best then eh?
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Aye =/. I wish I would've had the foresight to realize I actually wanted to keep this one. It had actually started with the full intentions of making it look good, and selling it for a minor profit to make a better one for me. I wasn't entirely concerned with making it look custom at the time, again due to the whole selling it idea. Seems a bit late to turn back now though, so I'll push ahead with this one, possibly sell it, and build me the design my girlfriends helping me draw up now

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Sounds good to me.

Get some pics up of the new design dude!
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Here's a rough sketch up

The upper horn is undecided, may go in a bit, and the cut out on the bottom may go deeper. The main idea here is comfort. I want the ultimate guitar in terms of comfort.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at May 16, 2011,
Hmm... Looks a little like a metalled up rickenbacker

Try making that top horn abit ricky?
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
I didn't even realize it till now, but yeah, you're right

I'm givin it a look now, if it's fairly subtle, it actually looks pretty neat. I'm not sure how well it'll work with my plans for the shape, but I've got it down on the design right now and it works fairly well. I just don't want to copy rickenbacker

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Call it the Valenbacker :P
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...

DO IT.
Done. It shall be the Valenbacker.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112