So my custom guitar is nearly complete, but i am yet to instal harware, i really want to use humbucker pick ups just because i dont have a guitar with a set. This guitar is going to probably be set a drop C tunning so would humbucker do the trick to get a heavey, but clear sound?

Finally, would i have to get new pedals? I can't imagine why but just being safe
Quote by behind_you
Ostrich thread would've been much better.

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
it completely depends on your music style. single coils would be much noisier under high gain. single coils ring out each string a little nicer but has a twang to it. humbuckers have more of a darker, meshed wall of sound.

have you routed the guitar for pickups yet? if you are really undecided, route it for single coils for now and get rail pickups (single sized humbuckers). duncan hot rails are amazing.

no new pedals required.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Its not routed, here is the humbucker i was looking at, i honestly don't know much about this sorta stuff, if just learning.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP100-Super-Distortion-Pickup?sku=302000

Thats what i was considering, but i am very open to new ideas
Quote by behind_you

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
The super distortion is not a bad pickup, and it'll be plenty clear under high gain, just like single coils, but single coils tend to mud up under lots of gain.

If you want to buy really good pickups, take a look at Bareknuckle Pcikups, or Rock Monkey pickups.
I listened to several sound clips of the Bareknuckle Warpig, i really like that one!
Quote by behind_you

Quote by JustRooster
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_32&zenid=80f8b4bb17d0410bb4eeb16dfbfcc0e8

Please help me out with this one, explain what the different packages mean
Example; Calibrated Open set, Cover Bridge, etc
Quote by behind_you

Quote by JustRooster
im not really sure what calibrated means (pre-adjusted poles?), but covered means it will come with a chrome/gold cover already installed on it if you want that look.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Okay and what about the open neck?
Quote by behind_you

Quote by JustRooster
same thing. covered means it has a chrome/gold cover, open means it does not.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Okay I think this is my last Question, I know you definatly get what you pay for, "crap in crap out" But what are opinions of this model pickup?
Quote by behind_you

Quote by JustRooster
Calibrated means that the bridge output and neck output are balanced so when your switching from each pickup, there isn't a massive volume difference, because, you stick a bridge pickup in the neck where it's naturally more loud and bassy, and it'll overpower your bridge pickup which the strings are more trebly and less loud.

Open just means the bobbins are exposed, so you can see the pole pieces, and covered means they just have a cover.
Get humbuckers and coil split em? Then you can have both!
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Get a humbucker with ceramic or neodynium magnets. Or go active. Don't go single and don't go with alnico because the single won't give you the full low end you want and alnico goes mushy with low tunings.

No you won't need new pedals.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Get a humbucker with ceramic or neodynium magnets. Or go active. Don't go single and don't go with alnico because the single won't give you the full low end you want and alnico goes mushy with low tunings.

No you won't need new pedals.

Erm??? BKP The Sinners are not muddy, and they are alnico V single coils.
Quote by Rossmillertarn!
Get humbuckers and coil split em? Then you can have both!

+1 for this idea
Quote by seemeel
He needs a new amp. Definitely. The Spider IIIs are potentially the worst sounding amplifiers you can buy.
Humbuckers sound like a must for what you are after. Coil splitting was already mentioned earlier which is a good idea. If you are going to be playing with lots of distortion, I would suggest using series/parallel wiring because you'll still be able to switch between Full Power and a thinner sound, but there will be no 60 cycle hum. I posted a picture of such wiring on my blog that you can check out if you want here .
Quote by ethan_hanus
Erm??? BKP The Sinners are not muddy, and they are alnico V single coils.

I didn't say muddy, I said mushy. Mushy low end isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't work well for low tunings. Also, the comment about the alnico was referring to humbuckers, not single coils. They work very differently. The reason I thought the TS should stay away from singles was because singles don't have nearly as much low end as humbuckers with comparable outputs.
Not taking any online orders.