This question might seem like blasphemy to some people, but I was just recently watching some videos on youtube by Mathias Arp, demoing the Vypyr 30 with a bunch of songs off his record(hes dead now though), and the sound he played for his extremely versatile styles, were as good to my ears as any tube amp. He said that the tube vypyr, once cranked up, sounded just as good as a real tube amp.

heres matts channel to see what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mattrocks01

the recordings to me, sounds like really good quality stuff. So when versatility is what you want, and you want to save as much as you can is it better to go with a real tube amp or a vypyr 120? Why?
Some tube amps are really versatile but they cost alot of money.

if you have >$500 maybe a modeling amp might be for you
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Honestly you can really get by with those Peavey Vypyr amps. I have a few students who have them and whenever I have students ask for low end starter amps I recommend the Vypyrs. When playing in a live situation, remember that most audience members are listening for good "recorded" guitar tones, not the sounds that you and I are accustomed to hearing come out of an unmic'd cab. The mid-range solid state units deliver those tones pretty well in my opinion. I mean it might not beat a Peavey JSX or something of the like, but it will be pretty darn close.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

I play on a Peavey Vypyr and i play a lot of different types of music. Its really nice for all kinds of music. I play at my church with it through my Strat, and i play heavy metal with it as well.
Depends on the amp. I have a three channel amp than can do anything you throw at it from sparkling cleans through mid-gain crunch to Mesa styled Brootz. Good luck finding one though. Something like a Laney VH100R will get you close too. I have the amp mated with an old part analog multiFX rack unit in front and a Quadraverb in the loop. I can use either to boost or cut the signal so I can switch in any gain structure and effects I feel like. Basically, I get all the main advantages of a modeller but can still run a pure valve amp with no SS wizardry any time I feel like it - which is very often. "We don't need no stinking modeller.
So it is possible but I am sure a Vyper tube would satisfy you and you get it all in one package, you'll just never have a pure valve thing going with all the marvelous dynamics that provides. You can get close to the right sound with the Vyper tube, you just don't have the same amp talkback but you will get out of it cheaper.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 15, 2011,
the amp i owned the longest was a line 6 vetta. partially for versatility, and mostly for the decent sound plus headphone jack. it was great too cause i didnt need to spend anything else on pedals bc it was all on board. i could set all the memory channels and just click around instead of fiddling every time i wanted to change my sound. i only changed to my mesa because i realized i started only using a few channels on the vetta, so why not upgrade the sound (my mesa also has a headphone jack, which is a deal breaker).
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by BrianFantana
I play on a Peavey Vypyr and i play a lot of different types of music. Its really nice for all kinds of music. I play at my church with it through my Strat, and i play heavy metal with it as well.

budget? just church and band practice with the br00tz br0s?

new or used? local market? etc...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.