Just would like to know your thoughts on a good guitar for pop punk as I'm looking into getting a new guitar. I play lead guitar in my band with a marshall dsl 50. I honestly would like a fender but if you guys have any other suggestions that would be great. Please do not suggest signature guitars as I really dislike playing guitars with someone else's name on them (except for les pauls). Looking for something new and my budget would be around $1000. I'm located in the US.

ALSO please DO NOT rip on pop punk, pop punk artists, or say something like "it's pop punk it doesn't matter." Thank you.
anything with a humbucker in the bridge.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Blacktop Strat/Tele would be pretty cool.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Any guitar will do, preferably one with a humbucker in the bridge position.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Nevermind what was originally here, I didn't read the original post correctly.

I think your best bet would be a Fender Telecaster Deluxe:

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/Classic-Series-72-Telecaster-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar.site1prod511141.product
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at May 14, 2011,
I second the tele deluxe!!!

it has a bright sound and nice cleans, which gives softer bits and single note stuff enough chime to keep things upbeat sounding while still having enough muscle to play heavier stuff.

also, an LTD EC-1000 (with either the SD alnico II pickups or the SD JB/59 set) would be quite good too. a little bit more aggressive, but certainly very well suited to pop-punk
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt

Kidding.
You just need a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge.
Last edited by IEatKahlers at May 15, 2011,
I can't believe no one has suggested a Les Paul yet.
i'd have to say a les paul junior would be the "best" for that but that's just my opinion.

my motto is "if in doubt just use a les paul junior". unfortunately i don't actually have one
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i'd have to say a les paul junior would be the "best" for that but that's just my opinion.

my motto is "if in doubt just use a les paul junior". unfortunately i don't actually have one

This man talks sense.
Rather than a Junior, I'd say a Les Paul Special. Just that little bit more versatile and capable of smoother cleans which is important for the pop half of pop punk. A Tele Deluxe has a very similar tone with just a bit more bass to it. At the two extremes, SGs are a good fit for the harder end of pop punk and Jazzmasters and regular Teles are good for the softest end.

Pretty much any standard solid body guitar will do, basically. You can only go wrong if you buy a really "metal" guitar or a big jazz box or something like that. I would say full carved top Les Pauls aren't the best for it either.
Tom Delonge strat or any fender with a HB in the bridge. A LP Jr would work well also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Les Paul Junior, Regular Les Paul, Rise Against (Yes, they are technicially hardcore, but still) uses LP Customs, but I imagine thats way out of your price range.

Fenders are good as well. HSS strat, and a Tele are good PP guitars.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Actually it really doesn't matter and there is no "ULTIMATE guitar" for any music style.

Personally I'd say anything with a humbucker or P90 in the bridge, the rest is up to you.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Actually it really doesn't matter and there is no "ULTIMATE guitar" for any music style.

This.

I'm going to say a Blacktop Tele or a 72' Tele Deluxe Re-Issue. They'll both be perfect for what you want to play and can handle just about anything else you want to throw at them.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but there is no 'ultimate' guitar for pop punk, or any genre. Try out everything, buy what you feel most comfortable with, put it through a good amp/distortion pedal and it'll be fine.

That being said, if you want a specific idea I'd suggest a HSS strat or a Les Paul Junior. I would be leaning towards the strat however, for the simple reason that they are awesome.
What you really need is a new amp...

But seriously, get a telecaster with a humbucker in the bridge.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
By les paul special I presume you mean the les paul with a flat top and 2 p90s?

Also, this is what my band sounds like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi8UtUhj1dY

Really thinking about a jazzmaster now. But they don't make them in white anymore (in my budget). I guess at this point it's between the les paul special and a jazzmaster. What do you guys think?
Gibson /Epiphone les paul would be the ultimate IMO . come factory equipped with humbucker ,Gibson les paul were the pretty much the standard of every band of the 90's skate/punk rock era ( NOfx , bad religion , no use for a name , lagwagon , millencolin ) .

strat hss could be ok .. but you have to change the humbucker to a higher output IMO .

les paul jr with a p-90 ??? i dont think so personally , not enough output .

but pretty much everything could do the job . whatever YOu feel is right for ya .

I personnaly play modified Squier mini / stratocaster JR ( short scale 3/4 size children guitar ) .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by Skysc
Gibson /Epiphone les paul would be the ultimate IMO . come factory equipped with humbucker ,Gibson les paul were the pretty much the standard of every band of the 90's skate/punk rock era ( NOfx , bad religion , no use for a name , lagwagon , millencolin ) .

strat hss could be ok .. but you have to change the humbucker to a higher output IMO .

les paul jr with a p-90 ??? i dont think so personally , not enough output .

but pretty much everything could do the job . whatever YOu feel is right for ya .

I personnaly play modified Squier mini / stratocaster JR ( short scale 3/4 size children guitar ) .

What the hell do you need high output for when playing pop punk?

Also it's not like you would really need pickups with high output for anything.
When the amp has enough gain - and most amps today have riddiculous amounts of it - you can play Death Metal on low output single coils.
JesusCrisp :

Depend of your taste but ive tried a lot of pickup and always felt that chunky palmmuting riff sound better with high output pickup .

a duncan sh-6 , sh-4 , sh-8 always sounded better than a Duncan pearly gates for palm muting and heavy riff . thats my taste but punk rock have sounded better through pickups that were built for that purpose ( or metal ) .

if pickups really didnt matter , then why builder would take time to suggest them for specific styles ??
"Everything is good for every genre .. only the amp matter" .

doesnt make sense , go with high output to play punk rock , the palm muting will sound a lot better .

the p-90 doesnt have any power .. it might be good if you play newer green day stuff or light stuff , but doesnt have the balls to play punk rock .

for a dookie , imsomniac , nimrod , kerplunk sound ... the jeff beck , distortion , or any other duncan ( 15k + ) or dimarzio high output win it over the p-90 ( 9k ) .

billie joe isnbt the ultimate reference of pop punk , so isnt tom delonge BTW . "billie joe use this so you should" . green day doesnt anything like they used to sound , so does blink .

or maybe we should define pop punk ??? the genre seem to have take the turn to POWER-pop/pop-punk band like Simple plan which make slow tempo love song for radio . for that matter , any guitar could do the job

i define pop-punk all the band for the skate punk rock era ( epitaph , fat wreck chord ) , bad religion , nofx , no use for a name , rancid , lagwagon , goldfinger , strung out , ten foot pole , guttermouth , offspring .

allister , punchline , better luck next time , blink 182 , sum 41 , fenix tx , green day would be the pop-punk more "Happy" with catchy riff

better luck next time - let it go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8nAtPR-Bs0&feature=related

better luck next time is the best pop-punk band right now IMO .. catchy ala blink 182 riff but better IMO . too bad they arent popular .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at May 15, 2011,
But OP didn't say punk rock, OP said pop punk. Also the difference in output between a pickup that measures at 15k and one that measures at 9k is almost nothing. The only practical difference is that the 15k one will have a harder time rolling back to clean when medium or high gain is used and the difference in volume between that clean tone and the full distorted tone will be bigger. The 9k pickup will roll back quicker and more smoothly while maintaining just about the same overall volume.

Perhaps you should like, learn how pickups and amps work before you go ragging on someone else about them.

OP's DSL50 has more than enough gain to do anything up to hard rock with any pickup and with active pickups or a boost pedal it can get into classic metal territory. Even the clean channel gets pretty crunchy. I know, I've got the 40w combo version and the extra 10w the head has doesn't make too much difference to headroom. Having high output pickups wouldn't make sense for playing pop punk with that kind of amp. Even though the difference between a high output and a medium output pickup isn't all that much every little helps and a medium output or even a low output one will give OP more options. Plus the smoother and wider tone of low output pickups is a much more appropriate tone for pop punk.
Quote by grohl1987
But OP didn't say punk rock, OP said pop punk. Also the difference in output between a pickup that measures at 15k and one that measures at 9k is almost nothing. The only practical difference is that the 15k one will have a harder time rolling back to clean when medium or high gain is used and the difference in volume between that clean tone and the full distorted tone will be bigger. The 9k pickup will roll back quicker and more smoothly while maintaining just about the same overall volume.

Perhaps you should like, learn how pickups and amps work before you go ragging on someone else about them.

OP's DSL50 has more than enough gain to do anything up to hard rock with any pickup and with active pickups or a boost pedal it can get into classic metal territory. Even the clean channel gets pretty crunchy. I know, I've got the 40w combo version and the extra 10w the head has doesn't make too much difference to headroom. Having high output pickups wouldn't make sense for playing pop punk with that kind of amp. Even though the difference between a high output and a medium output pickup isn't all that much every little helps and a medium output or even a low output one will give OP more options. Plus the smoother and wider tone of low output pickups is a much more appropriate tone for pop punk.

Actually a pickup with higher output will drive an amp into overdrive more than one with lower output. To my ears most punk bands don't use a lot of gain. They also dont need real high output pups. Most any guitar will do for pop punk. I'd say whatever guitar you like on your budget. I'd stay away from active pups tho
anyway guys , maybe everything is fine . but the duncan sh-6 i putted in my hss strat over the stock humbucker is a major difference and suit punk and metal a lot better than the stock . the palm muting is just "crunchier , more tight , responsive" and overall better than the stock medium output fender humbucker . and since palm-muting is a big part of pop-punk , punk rock , a high output humbucker will always get my vote over a low or medium . It just feel more right , with my epiphone les paul jr 57 with a p-90 or the stock humbucker of my hss strat , i felt like it just wasnt right and lack the balls .

depend what you wanna play . Pop punk is getting more power-pop with crappy "radio friendly" song . maybe im stuck in the 90s with nofx , bad religion , green day , no use for a name .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
Can you guys please just stop arguing? Take it somewhere else. All I wanted was my questions answered not an argument over what's pop punk and what's not.
Quote by glamourkilledme
Can you guys please just stop arguing? Take it somewhere else. All I wanted was my questions answered not an argument over what's pop punk and what's not.

Your question has already been answered.
Go out and play some guitars.
YOU have to like the guitar, not we.
Quote by stankepanck
Actually a pickup with higher output will drive an amp into overdrive more than one with lower output.
Not really. That's the theory and is does apply when you're comparing extremely different pickups like a low output PAF copy to an active humbucker but comparing a 9k alnico V passive humbucker to a 15k alnico V passive humbucker, there's not going to be any noticable difference in the level of distortion or how quickly a valve amp will distort, unless you're talking about a tiny 1w amp that's already maxed out.

Different pickups will effect the character of the distortion and higher output pickups tend to have either extremely boosted or extremely scooped mids which effects the tone a lot but in terms of the sheer output and volume there's no real difference other than the lower output pickup will clean up a little more smoothly.

Quote by Skysc
anyway guys , maybe everything is fine . but the duncan sh-6 i putted in my hss strat over the stock humbucker is a major difference and suit punk and metal a lot better than the stock . the palm muting is just "crunchier , more tight , responsive" and overall better than the stock medium output fender humbucker . and since palm-muting is a big part of pop-punk , punk rock , a high output humbucker will always get my vote over a low or medium . It just feel more right , with my epiphone les paul jr 57 with a p-90 or the stock humbucker of my hss strat , i felt like it just wasnt right and lack the balls .
Again that's the character of the distortion and the tone, not the output.
Also, I just want to add, in my experience, high output pickups with high gain makes a brittle tone. Lower output pickups with high gain gets that grittier chunkier sound.
Quote by Skysc

depend what you wanna play . Pop punk is getting more power-pop with crappy "radio friendly" song . maybe im stuck in the 90s with nofx , bad religion , green day , no use for a name .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvKjGnApeZE

Here, metal on a P90 equipped guitar, not even a high-output P90, just a regular Gibson P90. But yeah, P90s don't have any power in their tone.

Maybe your P90 guitar is a generally bad sounding one or has a crap pickup (which is the usual problem with Epiphones).