This has really perplexed me.. I've tried 3 amps now that have 1 Tube in them but are for the most part Solid State and they sound fantastic to me.

Even my own Vox VT20+ Valvetronix amp sounds great and at least the clean channel on the Marshall AVT's we use in college sound fantastic.

Do these tubes really play a part in the tone or is it genuinely a marketing gimmick to sell them? I'm so happy with my VT20+ though I'm certain an all-tube amp will blow me away I can't help feeling like these hybrids sound f'amazing as well.
Sparrow Twangmaster Telecaster
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
The AVT sounded fantastic??? You don't get out much do you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

does the SS state portion of the amp make the tube part sound worse?

i smell a thread!

edit: no offense TS, it's just that your thread titles crack me up. it's totally normal to have questions about stuff you don't completely understand. some hybrids sound great. my personal fav is the peavey xxl.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 14, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
The AVT sounded fantastic??? You don't get out much do you?

Might have just been the room, my guitar, pedals I don't know but it sounded pretty decent on the cleans. The distortion was god awful but I got some really punchy cleans with my Ash Tele and massive headroom.. then again Solid State would get really massive cleans, wouldn't it?
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
Iirc correctly the tube only kicks in when you hit the distortion channel. Not all SS amp have good cleans. The AVT does have passable cleans I guess.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well this is all mostly relating back to my VT20+ I have about 4-5 amazing tones from this amp that have genuinely blown me away at both bedroom/conversation volumes and when it's cranked up.

I'm honestly tempted to upgrade to a higher wattage one just for gigging and keeping the one I have for my room.

I currently have the amp set 100% manual so none of the 'models' or secret digital EQs are affecting my tone.

I have the amp in manual mode and in the models I have the "Pure EQ" setting which means it removes all 'amp' effects and puts the amp into it's own natural voice and EQ and I have a beautiful clean tone coming from it just now and with my OD pedals kicked in over it it's bliss.

I don't know if I'm being modest or optimistic but either way, to my ears, it sounds delightful.
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Vox VT20+
if you are happy, that is all that matters.

personally i think that the AVT's are terrible, but thats just me.

however i do have this 80's ampeg amp that i bought and split into a head and cab, and it has one preamp tube (obviously some SS in there as well, in both preamp and poweramp), and it gives me just a little bit more dynamics than other SS amps give, honestly its like a perfect cross from a Roland JC, and a Fender twin. i love that amp, but only for its cleans.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The VT does it a bit differently. Instead of just switching a preamp tube into the path on the overdrive channel, Vox use it as a driver tube for the power amp section. Does it add anything major? How would you know? You never get to hear it with a SS driver. Some of those old Vox SS amps sounded ok in their own right with no valve driver. I would be surprised if the power amp of the VT sounded a lot better than the power amp of a Status Quo type Vox.
My guess is that the colour from the modeller in the preamp of a VT would swamp anything a mere 12AX7 driver tube would provide.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification