Hey guys I'm trying to find out if I should stick with my current Flextone 3 and buy some pedals with it? or buy a Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express and get some pedals with that?

I named this thread this way because I'm wondering if Flextone 3s accept pedals well enough that I don't need a tube amp.

It does have an effects loop, but I have not tried it, so I'm hoping there is someone that is familiar with the Flextone 3!

Thanks!
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
what doesn't the flextone do that you want?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
if u like the versatility of the flextone but want more functions, look into a used Vetta. its the flextone with a lot more features. i noticed with the vetta, the effects loop created a weird stereo phasing sound, so idk how it would be on the flextone. as to how it took to pedals, it was ok.

a better explanation of what you want might help.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by gregs1020
what doesn't the flextone do that you want?

Nothing really, I actually like it lots except I'm not sure how well it will accept pedals. I've had bad experiences with line 6 amps accepting pedals before. Not sure if the effects loop will improve it.

Also that the channel changing is pretty laggy to me. The sound is good enough for me though, and I don't use any of the effects built in to the amp.
Quote from TGM "We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our dicks."
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
if u like the versatility of the flextone but want more functions, look into a used Vetta. its the flextone with a lot more features. i noticed with the vetta, the effects loop created a weird stereo phasing sound, so idk how it would be on the flextone. as to how it took to pedals, it was ok.

a better explanation of what you want might help.

Oh, I actually only use 2 channels on the Flextone hehe, the Jazzy Cleans and the Treadplate. I actually don't use any of the rest of the functions unless I'm fooling around. So I'm not sure if I should get a different amp.

I guess I just want an amp with 2-3 channels with a pedal for channel changing and then a small pedal board to go with it. Pretty much set and forget I guess.

Not sure if that's a better explanation of what I want .
well i think the flextone is a good amp. i've not tried it with pedals myself to comment but it's a vastly better amp then the lesser series.

if you want to start playing with different quality effect pedals maybe it's time for a decent tube amp as a platform. (providing you can find one that you like the tones of for what you play.)
i'm a little confused. what effects are you looking for that the flextone doesn't offer? There are quite a few effects in there already... extra pedals seem like a waste of money if u ask me, unless there are effects not available in the amp that you really have your heart set on?
As an owner of the same amp, i can say it takes pedals as good as any other tube amp. im currently running Guitar->Dimebag Wah-> ZW44 OD-> amp. i would recommend using an OD pedal with this amp for the tighter bass because the treadplate setting is a little too floppy for me. i just keep the gain at 0, output max, and mess with the tone.

to just naswer your question, stick with the flextone, great amp, takes pedals well

*EDIT* Also very important, buy a midi interface to use with line 6 edit software. it offers a lot more effects and parameters to tweak effects. really ups the versatility
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at May 15, 2011,
Quote by EspTro
As an owner of the same amp, i can say it takes pedals as good as any other tube amp. im currently running Guitar->Dimebag Wah-> ZW44 OD-> amp. i would recommend using an OD pedal with this amp for the tighter bass because the treadplate setting is a little too floppy for me. i just keep the gain at 0, output max, and mess with the tone.

to just naswer your question, stick with the flextone, great amp, takes pedals well

*EDIT* Also very important, buy a midi interface to use with line 6 edit software. it offers a lot more effects and parameters to tweak effects. really ups the versatility

Oh! Thanks for this information! Yeah I actually think the bass is quite sloppy haha but it's fun to play with ! I guess I might not get a tube amp since this does the job for me now. I guess I should get a FBV foot switch... but I'm having trouble deciding...

Quote by AkiraSpectrum
i'm a little confused. what effects are you looking for that the flextone doesn't offer? There are quite a few effects in there already... extra pedals seem like a waste of money if u ask me, unless there are effects not available in the amp that you really have your heart set on?

Ehh... I don't really like the effects on there... so would it be a waste if I plan to use external pedals with it ? even if it has those effects built in?
I'd say its worth it to find nice tube amp and toss good pedals out front then for sure.
The effects in the Flextone should be fine for what you want.. You can't expect boutique or 250+ dollar pedal sounds out of it.

What kind of external pedals are you looking to use?
Quote by gregs1020
I'd say its worth it to find nice tube amp and toss good pedals out front then for sure.

I'd say yes to that, but I think there's hope for my Flextone 3 ! but I agree that a nice tube amp would probably be better

Quote by TheAbsentOne
The effects in the Flextone should be fine for what you want.. You can't expect boutique or 250+ dollar pedal sounds out of it.

What kind of external pedals are you looking to use?

Umm I'm looking to use a Modded DS-1 and maybe a pedal for metal. A DD-20, a Wah and maybe a Red Witch Chorus. I'm not planning to run too many pedals through it.

What do you think?

I'm not saying the effects are bad on the amp, but I'd really like it if I could just tweek it in front of me and turn it on by pressing it in front of me and I don't want to get the more expensive FBV pedal too.