If you have a few minutes, try watching this video (it's only 3:26 minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

Isn't that interesting?

How does this relate to guitar you ask? Do you think that what we see in our guitar gear influences the sound that we think we hear? For example, the name on the headstock. Let's say we're playing a Gibson Les Paul through a decent amp, then we're given a different Gibson Les Paul, except this one says Epiphone on it. How do you think you would truthfully react? Now lets say we're given an Epiphone except it says Gibson on it.

I think that's interesting. I'm not saying cheap guitars can be just as good as high end ones, or any other assumptions regarding low/mid/high end stuff, but maybe there's a possibility that what we see and know can influence what we think we hear from our gear. The same goes with selecting wood in guitars.

What do you guys think about this? This also reminds me of the placebo effect.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at May 15, 2011,
The guy sounded like a sheep.

OT: I found that really interesting. It kind of reminded me of the placebo effect, in a off-base kind of way.
Fascinating.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Makes sense, one of Prince's favourite guitars is a $200 Hohner Telecaster knockoff IIRC, and he's a fucking rocket.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I agree that it is a sort of placebo effect. And when he "changed" to Fa, I didn't believe it, so I held my hand over the screen and IT WAS THE SAME ZOMG!!!! But yeah, I do believe that people will misconcieve an expensive guitar as a "good" guitar. I've go a two Ibanez prestiges, a Gibson SG, and a Jackson RR3 Rhoads. And I must say, the Rhoads (that I paid $300 for as it was a "discontinued to lack of sales" model) is my favorite.
weird shit, it's interesting very......interesting
Gear:
Boss MD-2
Fake Gibson Les Paul
Washburn BD12R
Kawasaki Acoustic

Quote by Lots O' FX
digoutyerarse: none dig deeper

I"M SO RANDUMZ LOL
Quote by SilentHeaven109
I didn't watch the video, just want to say that I highly approve of your Hizaki avatar

that's the (guy?) from versailles, right? i still have a lot of trouble believing that he's a dude...
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by carlos_almighty
that's the (guy?) from versailles, right? i still have a lot of trouble believing that he's a dude...

He is a man, a man who's far more attractive than many women but a man nonetheless. To be fair any of us could look like that with enough make up and effort
Quote by carlos_almighty

Well, if you believe hard enough maybe you'll hear a female voice instead of a manly one when you listen to Hizaki talk :P
Quote by zincabopataurio
Well, if you believe hard enough maybe you'll hear a female voice instead of a manly one when you listen to Hizaki talk :P

Hearing his voice was strangely disappointing for me, I genuinely did expect him to have a female voice, kinda like how I expect all women to have American accents during sexy time

He's said that's why he never sings or talks on stage, to keep the feminine illusion up.