hey guys, i just recently picked up guitar again after about 2 years of just occasionally picking it up and i've decided i desperately want to learn how to play correctly. i've played guitar on and off since freshman year (3 years) and can play some death metal riffs, along with some simple punk songs (main Raining Blood riff, first few riffs in Suicide Machine, some Bad Religion songs) so i'm not awful when it comes to technical ability - my problem is actual musical knowledge and rhythm.

So, I was hoping you guys could help me figure out or share some efficient metronome excercises, for the past 2 days i've been determined to get my groove on so i've been playing 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 notes over 60bpm... I would also like to start learning music theory as well, so some good sources for music theory transcribed to guitar would be greatly appreciated! For a while i've just been using justinguitar.com as a source for good excercises, but i figured straight up asking some fellow guitarists for help would benefit me quite a lot. Thanks in advance
Hey, Giles.

Unfortunately, theory is such a huge topic that it would take far more than a single post to really cover even the basics. Based on what you're already playing, I'd say get a solid handle on your major and minor scales. Learn the 3-note-per-string patterns of these scales in their 7 different positions on the neck. Just google 'guitar major minor scales' or something along those lines.

Additionally, I'm not sure if you have yet or not, but learning the fretboard notes is an absolute must if you're wanting to wander into theory territory.

Consider checking out this browser based game that helps you memorize the notes on the fretboard:

Now on the topic of rhythm, you've got the right idea, I think. Always use a metronome. But to gain some solid timing, try alternating between quarter notes and triplets instead of just subdividing into 8ths, then 16ths, etc.

So, for example, try playing 4 quarter notes, then play 2 quarter note triplets in the same tempo. Count aloud the whole time. 1, 2, 3, 4...1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3...1, 2, 3, 4....etc. I hope that makes sense.

If you're feeling squirrelly, you can up it to 4 8th note triplets. So, you'd then be playing 3 notes for every beat.

It's hard to explain this without an audio example, but hopefully you get what I mean. This video might help a little bit to give you a better picture:

This will break you out of your comfort zone a bit, but will force you to really listen to the pulse of the tempo. I hope that helps. Let me know how it goes.
Danny L. Small
Guitarist/Teacher/Composer

hey danny, thanks for the tips man. and no, i wasn't expecting anyone to sum up guitar theory for me in a post lol, i was just looking for some good sources, but your advice helps a lot. keep it coming guys