I have 12 songs and they are all in this form: Verse 1/ Chorus , Verse 2 / Chorus , Verse 3 / Chorus x2 . Does anyone can tell me any other form of song. Btw i'm on mobile phone and i didn't search forum.

Edit: of course,all chorus are the same.
Last edited by Saint_Zg at May 15, 2011,
Well, a different form could just be mixing it up a little, like adding a bridge, interlude, breakdown, solo, or anything of that type. Maybe have a nice intro riff, and a cool outro section to end it nicely.
Quote by Shayden2008
Well, a different form could just be mixing it up a little, like adding a bridge, interlude, breakdown, solo, or anything of that type. Maybe have a nice intro riff, and a cool outro section to end it nicely.

All that can be said, right there.

EDIT:

Quote by Saint_Zg
Yes,I have solo and intro riff.. but I'm talking about lyrics form.

Why didn't you specify that in the OP then?
I like to use less often-used song forms. I often use a form that never repeats a section (ie ABCDE etc) but I usually keep it to just 2 or 3 sections. I'd suggest listening to some radiohead (In rainbows specifically) or any Muse's exogenisis pieces. They often use really interesting forms, and when they dont they often mix it up by arranging a section differently when it comes back around.
Something I found interesting was a cyclical or pantoum form.
In the cyclical one you start on the first verse go through a chorus and a verse or 2 depending on their length and the length of the song you want. Then you come back to the first verse to end on. That can be really effective when the first verse has a lot of interpretations and the other verses suggest one of them.
The Pantoum form is something I like to use sometimes just to mix it up. Can't really think of any songs that use it. The form is like this (lines not verses) ABCD BEDF EGFH etc. But yeah I mean I usually use that to get me going on some tougher lyric songs but it could have some pretty cool effects.
An easy form is just to use the usual

Verse 1, Chorus, Verse 2, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus

You can also add a prechorus... which is obviously before the chorus.

Or you can double up the verses:

Verse 1, Verse 2, Prechorus, Chorus, Verse 3, Verse 4, Chorus

Sometimes to direct a point instead of a bridge the first chorus or prechorus is repeated, sometimes sung slightly differently. But thats up to you.
I just had to post this, didn't I.
I found songs that don't repeat sections annoying for the most part. People need the familiarity of verses and choruses to connect with the song. Just mix it up like others have said. Some of the Beatles trick included beginning with the chorus- Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus, Verse, Chorus. Or using pre choruses only every once in a while, Verse, Pre-Chorus, Verse, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Bridge, Verse, Chorus. Lots of options.
there are so many different things you can do in a song! listen to the newer of Montreal albums. they pretty much made me change how I look at song structure.

in addition to verses and choruses, you can do bridges (yeah, there can be more than one), key changes, time changes, tempo changes, etc.

the way I see it, no one can tell you what you can and can't do in your song.
As a previous poster stated, you could mix things up a little by adding a bridge somewhere in the song to break up the repetitivity.

ron666
My structures are normally something like this
INtro
verse1
verse 2
chorus
bridge
verse 3
chorus
breakdown
chorus
solo
verse4
and round it off with an outro
Some interesting things you can do are

A B C D solo D C B A
A B C D solo C D A B
A B C B B C A

You can try writing songs in two parts, New Age by the Velvet Underground is a really cool song as far as that stuff goes. I would recommend studying everything Radiohead have done since OK Computer if you really want to delve deep.

As far as mixing things up goes, if you have roughly 5 structures you can really just stick to those (roughly) and providing the music is good it stays interesting. If you're into melody more so than guitar heroics, you can always try writing a great chorus, then use that as a prechorus and try to write an even better one. The Strokes do it on Under Cover of Darkness, it's what the songwriters for all the top 40 stuff do too. And if you're into guitar heroics, then odds are you don't need a ton of different song structures.
"We're not really interested in the individual instruments sounds. We just like the way they dance together in the air." - Fabrizio Moretti

http://www.baconorbeercan.com/