Hello,

I read on the internets that the best best distortion pedal for metal is the BOSS Metal-zone.

However I have tried it at my local music shop with a Marshall JCM 800 and a Ibanez RG but it sounded like angry bees in a tin, even when i tweaked the EQ.

Should I turn to another brand like Electro Harmonix ?
Hardwire TL-2
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Where on earth did you read that? They should be shot. The MT-2 is one of THE worst pedals you can buy for metal.

As for finding a good pedal, that depends a lot on what you want to sound like, and what other gear you have.

I recommend a Hardwire Metal Distortion pedal though - IMO the best sounding metal pedal in the price range. I also got a Boss HM-2 today, and I can't recommend it enough. Although it's more of a death metal and classic metal sound than modern. So it depends a lot on what kind of sounds you're trying to get.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Wow. How can you even consider looking at the EHX bullshit. Their idea of a metal pedal is even more buzzy/"bees in a can" than the modern boss distortions.
Boss MT-2 was my first distortion. I used it for playing Iron Maiden, Deep Purple.. It is for light stuff. For more heavier sound I highly recommend Boss ML-2. It is brutal sounding, it has 2 band EQ, controlling Bass and High, so it stays brutal and you can play screaming leads.

I have no offence for Digitech... Never tried, so I cant say nothing about it.
My Jekyll and Hyde's distortion channel is pretty hot for a smooth distortion sound. I'm assuming that's what you want for metal. They sell the hyde (distortion) side by itself too
I'm much more into the sound of (semi-)boutique Dist./OD-pedals, but a while ago I was comparing some of the Blackstar HT pedals and they really sounded fantastic. I tried 'em with a bunch of tube amps but also on a hybrid and a solid state amp, and it didn't really affect the high gain character of the pedals in such a way that it started sounding cheap like many other pedals do. You should definetly try those

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i'll sell you my EHX Metal Muff
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Digitech Grunge is the best for the price.
You just have to be REALLY CAREFUL with the EQ.
It's about 30 to 40 quid and it's built like a flipping tank.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
i say electro harmonix metal muff. it sounds great IMO. just dont use the treeble booster or whatever its called, makes the pedel sounds like a dieing horse...
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build