So I've got 2 issues.

I love my guitar, literally I just love it as this one particular item. I know I wouldn't like any other as much as my very first one. The thing is, she's kind of lowmid-end guitar and I need a new one but it's going to feel like cheating your own wife or something.

But it's a very minor issue comparing to the fact that...

I love my guitar more than playing. When I'm VERY ultra-examination-session-busy, I grab her 50 times a day just for a second to play few chords and scales, and just that brings a huge smile to my face. Just holding her for a while really makes the stress disappear. However practice itself is not that amusing, especially when I'm forcing it because I haven't practiced for few days due to studies or something. I lose my practice motivation everyday. But I don't want to take breaks, because I already rarely practice because of my obligations irl. Still, I won't stop "playing", just because I really love that one instrument.

This seems like a very bad approach for a aspiring guitarist. I'm not improving as fast as I possibly should. I'm still young and I've been thinking about chainging my university for a music one. But I do not love music. I love my guitar.
Why call it practice? Give yourself projects. I myself have 3 different projects at the moment.

1: I'm writing an acoustic ambient album
2: I'm writing my solo project album of song/harmonica/guitar
3: I'm trying to write songs that interpret books I've read and that mean a lot to me.

Don't call playing guitar practice. Ever. It's stupid.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
get into new music styles! Or learn to sing, then you can sing and play!

also, what guitar do you have?
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

...what?
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Are you secretly me? I have the exact same problem XD
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker
Changing courses is not the best option considering your view on things.

If you love guitar and not necessarily the grand scope of music (which a course would entitle), then perhaps it would be more wise to find or create a band and continue with your currents studies. You must never forget that having a music degree does not guarantee success in music.

You also suggest progressing fast as you "should", this is not the case. "Should" is a benchmark set by other people, and in learning guitar, everyone learns at different rates. I find that learning guitar comes in stages of 'breakthroughs' - it is only through practice, patience and enjoyment that these 'breakthroughs' are achieved.

Doing scales and learning them is all very well and good, but they do not necessarily lead to enjoyment. They are fine to warm up on, but creating and learning what you listen to and enjoy is where true enjoyment lies.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Change your university to one that offers English Language studies.

Also, GROW A PAIR. No one on here has the definitive answer to your problem surrounding motivation.

If you love guitar music; learn, practice, play. If you don't, go watch Glee.

Simples
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
Quote by mattiwillohouse

Also, GROW A PAIR. No one on here has the definitive answer to your problem surrounding motivation.

If you love guitar music; learn, practice, play. If you don't, go watch Glee.

Simples

Because shouting will solve his problem?

Motivation is key to all walks of life, however simply getting angry and forcing through - whilst it may work occasionally - may do more harm than good.

His problem with motivation lies in not being to express himself through his guitar due to his lack of time of being able to spend with it. We all feel this from time to time, life can 'get in the way' of such things. And we will all find a time when we feel that way.

If you truly enjoy it and love it, then motivation will come back to you.

As i previously stated, changing degree's will not solve your problem. Finding a band or creating your own music, might.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by mattiwillohouse

Actually I'm on a Japanese Filology atm, and I'm from Poland, thanks.
Quote by Anthony1991
Because shouting will solve his problem?

Motivation is key to all walks of life, however simply getting angry and forcing through - whilst it may work occasionally - may do more harm than good.

His problem with motivation lies in not being to express himself through his guitar due to his lack of time of being able to spend with it. We all feel this from time to time, life can 'get in the way' of such things. And we will all find a time when we feel that way.

If you truly enjoy it and love it, then motivation will come back to you.

As i previously stated, changing degree's will not solve your problem. Finding a band or creating your own music, might.

Thanks Oprah

Quote by zimmzimmer
Quote by mattiwillohouse
Thanks Oprah

No worries typical Daily Mail reader.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
No worries typical Daily Mail reader.

Seriously, who on this message board can change the way this guy THINKS about his guitar, and playing it? No one, surely.

I could visit the Ebay forum and ask why it is that I have no intention of buying a lawn mower.

Quote by zimmzimmer
Quote by mattiwillohouse
Seriously, who on this message board can change the way this guy THINKS about his guitar, and playing it? No one, surely.

I could visit the Ebay forum and ask why it is that I have no intention of buying a lawn mower.

There's always some people who try to give structured answers. If you have nothing to say to him just be quiet and find another thread.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Why call it practice? Give yourself projects. I myself have 3 different projects at the moment.

3: I'm trying to write songs that interpret books I've read and that mean a lot to me.

It's not stupid if it's actual practice. Like if you're majoring in guitar at college. like i am. Practice is not stupid, it's how you improve as a guitar player. I'm not saying every time a person picks up the guitar and plays it it's practice, because it's NOT. Noodling and aimless playing are the death of a lot of players. For recreation, it's fine.

Kid. Just start practicing things that interest you more. Might i suggest, fingerstyle guitar! It's very challenging, and very rewarding, and it's a thrill to play.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
There's always some people who try to give structured answers. If you have nothing to say to him just be quiet and find another thread.

Structured answers?

I can't find another thread. I'm involved now, it's my duty to see it through.

Quote by zimmzimmer
you have a weird approach to playing guitar. it's not an obligation to me, it's just a hobby.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by mattiwillohouse
Structured answers?

I can't find another thread. I'm involved now, it's my duty to see it through.

Constructive answer was what I meant.
What really worked for me is jamming with friends/people you like/people with skills and then discovering that they can play a part of a song or a lick that you cannot. It made me practice it over and over and over. Just because I wanted to be able to play along and be part of the jam session instead of just watching.

Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
I know practicing and such isn't fun, but the payoff is great and will allow you to enjoy your wonderful instrument even more.

A guitar doesn't really care if you have other guitars. Two guitars can get along just fine - you can always put one in a different tuning and keep using it for that tuning.

If you have an acoustic, ignore this next part.

You can also modify your guitar to fit your specifications - a new set of pickups, bridge swap, new tuning pegs, even a new neck if it's a bolt-on. Think of it as buying her a set of clothes and lingerie.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by laid-to-waste
you have a weird approach to playing guitar. it's not an obligation to me, it's just a hobby.

This guy

Quote by zimmzimmer
I don't think I've ever 'practiced' in my life. I just learn progressively harder songs that help my technique and I wouldn't call it practicing cos that makes it sound boring, but by Jesus it works.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by MvAgusta
Actually I'm on a Japanese Filology atm, and I'm from Poland, thanks.

Dude, just stop doing canned "guitar workouts" and learn or write some songs. Playing should never be boring.
Dasz rade! pzdr
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

Agreed. I do the same thing.
I had the same problem as you. I had a guitar that I loved but I stopped playing it. My solution was I bought a better guitar. Also don't think of it as cheating because it's a guitar not a wife or girlfriend. Also don't you think that it's worth it in the long run that if you buy a new guitar which motivates you to play more thus making you a better guitar player.

Also as said above don't think of it as practice. Think of it as enjoyment. I don't think of playing my guitar as practice and I probably 'practice' every day for roughly an hour without even noticing time go by. I just love playing guitar. Also search up some tabs to songs that you like. Then you can learn how to play a song that you like which would motivate you even more to play. And if a song is too hard. Then you can play over, and over trying to get it right.