My band have got this gig at a local 'festival' and we've been given 30 minutes. I must admit the first time I saw that number I almost fell off my chair. Longest set i've ever performed is 15 (3 songs). Is 30 minutes going to be much different to that? Anyone got any tips for me? To do with anything relative as I need all the info I can get. I'm going to be playing guitar at some points and drums on other songs. No complicated effects for me. Thanks for any help you can give as i'm a little nervous.
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
And any performance tips in general would be good too
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

Just be at ease as best you can... Relax and i'm sure you'll be fine. Maybe even do some jams instead of going from song to song... know, just throw in random riffs between songs etc, helps keep things varied and different, i think.
Dom, look... I Caught a PWOPER fish
What KingHenrik said and think of something to talk to the crowd about for a a couple minutes as well.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Got any more songs?

Assuming the other three are originals, you could throw in a cover to lengthen things a bit (or, write more songs :P)
To be honest its not bad at all.
My first gig was 30-45 mins and it went fine, you just get into the flow and the time flashes by.

As long as you know your songs well and your band is tight it will be a success.

Some tips:
Try not to stand about doing nothing it's a show/entertainment after all. (But it's understandable if you don't feel comfortable to move yet)

Bring at least 4 plectrums, spare cable (unless they are supplyed), guitar strap, etc The Basics really (you wont believe how many idiots forget the basic stuff)

If your a drinker have a couple beers (or whatever) to loosen up but don't have too many! But then again im not a drinker so im not so sure about that advise.^

Don't fanny around, no "are you readys" in the middle of the gig, it makes you look unprofessional.

Go to the toilet before the gig (if you need to obviously)

Most of all, try to have fun. Don't worry too much about the time it just flys by when your playing..

EDIT://

Don't speak to the crowd, get on with it.
Don't play little riffs/interludes UNLESS YOU HAVE PRACTICED THEM BEFORE AS A BAND!
Last edited by SumFX at May 15, 2011,
Quote by KingHenrik1967
Just be at ease as best you can... Relax and i'm sure you'll be fine. Maybe even do some jams instead of going from song to song... know, just throw in random riffs between songs etc, helps keep things varied and different, i think.

Like, say... I dunno... muse do?! nice sig. :P

Interact with your audience but do not over do it

P*ss/sh*t before you get onstage.

Bring water to drinks.

Bring picks. Tape your picks everywhere [on your scratchplate, headstock, on your amp and even on your arms]
Get a pick holder to put on the back of your guitar's headstock

Take a backup guitar

Brings spare cables

I say DO some improv or something similar between songs. The audience don't want to feel like they are in their bedrooms listening to a CD
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
What I've done with smaller groups is at some point, between two songs, I have a Name-That-Tune thing. I'll play a bunch of riffs, and get the audience to call out the song.
Make sure you know the riff though. It''ll be pretty embarrassing if you play half of "Stairway to Heaven" then say you forgot the rest.
just play your music, and bring energy. GO CRAZY, don't think about what others think, you aren't embarrassing yourself. 30 minutes really isn't that long, I regularly gig 45 minute-1 hour slots that go by quick.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

yeah, 30 minutes isnt that long. first gig was an hour and a half at a party haha. confidence is key. they is a very noticable difference between a guy thats onstage that looks like he knows his shit and a guy that looks scared to death
Whoever does vocals for the band needs to have a personality. Other than that there's not much you need to do other than not **** up. When you're an unknown band playing a short set nobody gives a shit about anything other than that you don't make mistakes, you don't come across as dickheads and your singer isn't a lifeless gimp. In fact nobody ever gives a shit about anyone other than the headline act. That may sound harsh but it's the truth. Support acts barely rank above roadies.
It's been said, but add in a cover song if you don't have enough original material to make up a 30 minute set. If you count small down-time between songs and maybe a little stage banter (don't overdo it though!), you may need more like 25-27 minutes, if that helps take the edge off a little

Most important thing is confidence, which was also mentioned already (I'm so helpful, right?). Even if you screw something up majorly, having confidence and presence will get the audience over it quickly. Most importantly: just have fun and make it a show. People pay for an event, not a visual CD experience
Matthew 6:33

Uniting the World, One Bridge at a Time.
I was just at a show last week for the band my son joined. It was another cd release, but the first one since he joined. The opening solo act blew a string during the first song and was going to take the time to restring because he didnt have a backup guitar! If quickly restringing isnt part of your stage act (i've heard of that, too!) dont do it! Most people think waiting for someone to restring is really dull. Fortunately the guitarist from my son's band suggested that the kid borrow one of his guitars. Oh yeah, my son's set was nearly 3 hours. He said it seemed to go by much faster than practices.
My band played our second gig last weekend.. My bass player got so drunk that he couldn't play one of the songs. Don't do that! If we weren't such good friends with him, he'd probably be out already. But I find that a drink helps to loosen you up a bit.

For extra time, as people have said, play some jams. A song like Johnny B. Goode can be put together in a couple of minutes, and it's a lot of fun to play and people will know it.

What style does your band play?
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
Use the songs you guys play best as first and last since that is what most people remember, and if you got 3 very good songs split it at 1 in front (getting crowd) and build it up to the less good songs, and the final has to be awesome, see if you could do something with a light technician, and tell your drummer to go mad with his double bass and cymbals at the last choruses.
Quote by Woffelz
Bring picks. Tape your picks everywhere [on your scratchplate, headstock, on your amp and even on your arms]
Get a pick holder to put on the back of your guitar's headstock

My old bassist used to keep a (clean) pick in his mouth. He'd bite down on it to "stay focused." He was weird.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
My old bassist used to keep a (clean) pick in his mouth. He'd bite down on it to "stay focused." He was weird.

I always liked to hold mine between my butt cheeks
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
It's just like playing for 15 minutes... except 15 minutes longer why do you need tips if you already have experience of doing a 15 minute set?

If you have enough songs you shouldnt have a problem and if you dont then your band isnt gig ready.
enough said.
My first gig was half an hour and after you're settled in you'll have finished in no time!

Tips:

1. Take a drink
2. Take spare pics
3. Loop your cable through your strap
4. Check tuning when you can, and tune in between songs
5. Turn up early to soundcheck and make sure your band's sound levels are ok (i.e guitarist can be heard)
6. Take spare strings/Backup guitar (nothing worse than a string snapping!)
If I think of any more i'll add them. Also, try not to have too many beers, or you'll think you're doing great but playing sloppy.

Most importantly, have fun! Good luck
Check out my fitness blog here
Last edited by maiden_man_666 at May 19, 2011,