Hi guys !
This time it's for sure, I really wanna buy an acoustic, since I simply can't play my electric in my room without bothering my family. And I've wanted an acoustic for a long while anyway...

My problem is however that in Switzerland, because of the very strong swiss franc, and music stores taking full advantage of it, buy in a store is between 1.5 to 2 times more expensive. So I'm set on buying on-line, anyway if I don't like it, I can allways sell it further and only lose ~10% of what I paid.

My price range is between 250 and ~400 euros for a steel string acoustic. I'd like a solid top guitar, I don't care that much about the body shape, but a cutaway would be a plus. I don't really need electronics either, but most guitars with a cutaway have some electronics.
Last but not least, I dislike most guitars that come with natural finish... that's kind of an issue, but I just find them boring.

TLDR So far, here's what I've found:

Epiphone Hummingbird (with solid spruce top): http://www.thomann.de/fr/epiphone_hummingbird.htm
The reason why it might interest me is because it's cheap, looks okay, and has a solid top... So it should sound decent ?

Art & Lutherie cutaway : http://www.thomann.de/fr/artlutherie_cutaway_tb_cedar_cw.htm
It's quite sexy, it has a cutaway which is a plus. But it's 100 euros more than the hummingbird, and I kinda feel like I'm paying for electronics I don't need. If the unplugged sound isn't any better, I'm not sure it's a good deal. I like the looks better however than the first one.

Yamaha FG 730S : http://www.thomann.de/fr/yamaha_fg_730s_vcs.htm
I've heard these are very solid guitars for the price. I own a yamaha electric and I'm very pleased with it. It's probably the guitar I've found out of these with the best reviews. My only complaints are that it doesn't have a cutaway, and I don't like the finish that much.

Walden CG-570: http://www.thomann.de/fr/walden_cg570_wce_whitehorse.htm
It had a cutaway, and I absolutely LOVE the white finish. The only downsides are that I can't find any review about it, and it's also the most expensive out of the four guitars I've listed.

I'm kind of attracted to the last one because it's looks so classy, and I've experienced that acess is quite difficult on models without cutaways... But I really need your opinion guys.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Do you have any developments ?

I wish I could play them all, but unfortunately where I live it's not an option... I could probably find the Epiphone and the Yamaha, but not the two others .
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
I'd say that the Yamaha is the best option. They're truly good guitars for the price.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by PanamaJack666
What you really need is a new amp.

I plan on buying a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister once it comes out and I have the money... I'm not sure if this was meant to be funny or if it was serious.

Anyways that's not the point, I'm asking advice about an acoustic because I want one, this is totally unrelated.

Edit: The yamaha seems to be "the reasonable choice", however, I'm not sure that compromising is allways the best thing when it comes to music... I'm scared that if I buy it, and I'm not 100% happy with it, I'll regret I didn't buy the walden.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Last edited by Doogy-Style at May 15, 2011,
the yamaha or walden would be my choice. i don't care for the epiphone, although you may feel differently, but not all solid tops are equal in sound quality - there are a lot of variables that affect tone including the wood under the back and side veneer on the laminate back and sides, the bracing, the bracing wood and thickness, how tightly the joints and back and side wood laminates are glued and the neck woods, kerfing quality and wood, not to mention thickness.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
^ Do you have any experience with walden guitars in general ? I'm asking because it's rather hard to find any reviews... I know the yamaha would be the safe bet, but the walden attracts me more.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
i've played several waldens, although not that model, and they sounded very good for their price range, and good in general. the yamaha sounds good also, and is a good bet. btw, in case you don't love the guitar you buy, doesn't thomann have a 30 day return policy?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Oh, indeed they do !

I had totally forgotten about that, even though it's not the first time I'm buying stuff from them. Well, then this will hopefully solve my problem then.

I'll probably try the walden then, because the only thing I really like better on the yamaha (on paper) is the price. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
I haven't tried any of the guitars you mentioned, but I got an Ibanez V12ECE for less than 250 Euros a few years ago, and it's a great electric acoustic! (I've heard some people stating the opposite, it really is great!)