I only really come across these kind of difficulties when playing with heavy distortion, as I want everything to be 100% free of string noise. Normally when I play an open A5 power chord I use my thumb to mute the low E string, then the thumb goes back behind the neck of the guitar(except for bends and vibrato). However since this sequence of Tornado of Souls happens very fast, I can't seem to get my thumb in place quick enough to block to low E. The G5 is no problem as the tip of my index blocks the low E. How do you guys go about this? Should I just use my picking hand(fleshy part of the palm) to block the low E? Is there another way?? Thanks heaps!!

Not hitting the low e would be a start
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Quote by !-twisty-!
Not hitting the low e would be a start

Thanks Mr. comedian. Do you even play electric guitar? You would know that not muting open strings creates string noise, or do you just play messy by default?
Picking accuracy - unless you're doing something silly like windmilling you really should have to accuracy to not hit the e-string muted at all.

It also shouldn't matter "too" much if you hit it while playing the A5 since there's already an E in the chord.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Megadeth09
Thanks Mr. comedian. Do you even play electric guitar? You would know that not muting open strings creates string noise, or do you just play messy by default?

I think he has a point. Just dont hit the E string?
Maybe you explained it badly - tab it out?
Quote by Megadeth09

Thanks captain great guitarist... you mute the string as you release it with your fingers aka. dont pull off release the note

EDIT: Watch mustaine live aswell, he's not muting with his thumb at all, its a very rock guitarist thing to do, and kinda a bad habbit, picking cleanly and muting note release are much better habbits.
Quote by TheQuailman

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Last edited by !-twisty-! at May 15, 2011,
Quote by doive
Picking accuracy - unless you're doing something silly like windmilling you really should have to accuracy to not hit the e-string muted at all.

It also shouldn't matter "too" much if you hit it while playing the A5 since there's already an E in the chord.

Thanks for the serious reply. It's not that I'm hitting the open E, but having that E open creates a bit of string noise. Granted it's not much, but I want it to be totally clean.
Quote by !-twisty-!
Thanks captain great guitarist... you mute the string as you release it with your fingers aka. dont pull off release the note

EDIT: Watch mustaine live aswell, he's not muting with his thumb at all, its a very rock guitarist thing to do, and kinda a bad habbit, picking cleanly and muting note release are much better habbits.

Thanks for clearing things up a bit. It's the open E resonating that bugs me, I'm not hitting the E at all. Like when you leave an electric guitar on resting when its plugged in with distortion, that kind of noise. Granted it's only for a millisecond..

Otherwise my thumb is behind the neck at all times except vibrato and bending.
Quote by Megadeth09
Thanks for clearing things up a bit. It's the open E resonating that bugs me, I'm not hitting the E at all. Like when you leave an electric guitar on resting when its plugged in with distortion, that kind of noise. Granted it's only for a millisecond..

Otherwise my thumb is behind the neck at all times except vibrato and bending.

Your e will always resonance in harmony to the e in the A5 chord if your intonation is right, thats just a property of waves
Quote by TheQuailman

practice playing the song named "Rock Candy" by Ron Montrose. The main riff can train your fingers to hit open strings and not be sloppy. Remember to start slow then work up to speed.
I mean I don't want to be mean, I dont know how long ur bn plyn, but that tab for this "riff" is a two string A CC A then a little riff where they toss in a G# after the F chord.
again two string chords.

Anywayz the truth is really to do it..... Any way you can>>>>
What you might be looking for is:
play powerchords with your index and pinkie fingers, and hold your middle fingers straight up so they mute the e string. then when you play the open chord, mute with the middle fingers as well.
Quote by !-twisty-!
Your e will always resonance in harmony to the e in the A5 chord if your intonation is right, thats just a property of waves

So it's not too much of a big deal if the low E resonates a little bit whilst playing an A5?
Quote by TheWahoo95
What you might be looking for is:
play powerchords with your index and pinkie fingers, and hold your middle fingers straight up so they mute the e string. then when you play the open chord, mute with the middle fingers as well.

I use my index and ring(pinky for the octave) to play perfect 5th intervals, but with an open A5, it's a bit harder, but I will definitely work on it! Seems much more economical than muting with the thumb.
Quote by Megadeth09
So it's not too much of a big deal if the low E resonates a little bit whilst playing an A5?

Open strings will always resonate when the same note is played elsewhere, theres a trick you can do with a tuning fork and folded pieces of paper to make sure your guitar is exactly in tune :P

You can always mute it if you wish but it's not vital, if it's loudly noticeable though you'll need to be working on your technique as the effect isn't massive
Quote by TheQuailman

NOOOOOOOOOO YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG!!! No but to be serious for a second, proper muting technique is to mute the strings lower than the ones you are actually playing with your palm. So the instant your pick is hitting the open A and fretted D, you palm is on top of your low E string.
I'll give it a shot using both the palm and middle finger on fretting hand. Way more economical than moving the thumb over...
Quote by rockgodman
NOOOOOOOOOO YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG!!! No but to be serious for a second, proper muting technique is to mute the strings lower than the ones you are actually playing with your palm. So the instant your pick is hitting the open A and fretted D, you palm is on top of your low E string.

Under heavy distortion you get sound as your hand moves to mute the strings... jeeez you profess as if theres only one way to mute

+ you can either mute left handed or palm mute.
Quote by TheQuailman