My friend has this crap guitar from walmart that I play with when im at his house. obviously its a terrible piece of shit, not even worth its weight.

My question is:

A) Would it be worth it to change the pickups?
B) What pickups would you reccomend if it is worth it?
Is it a First Act? Their Wal-Mart guitars are crap, but I've heard their higher end guitars aren't too bad. Anyways, I would tell him to sell and upgrade. If it were like, a Squier or something, I'd say to try upgrading. But most First Acts aren't worth the money it'd take.
Matthew 6:33

Uniting the World, One Bridge at a Time.
No, it would not be worth the money. Not even close.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Not at all.
Currently Using:

Washburn X-Series w/ SH-8 and Pearly Gates
Peavey Vypyr 120h
Peavey Valveking 412 Slant
ISP Decimator
Ernie Ball .12-.56

Quote by CannedBullets
get to Wisconsin, do a S.E.A.L Team 6 style raid on her dwelling with a few other guys, show no mercy
Order, order!

Tell him to get a new guitar...
Changing pickups is definitely not worth it.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
You can put expensive pickups in a losy piece of plywood and it would still be a lousy piece of plywood.
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
Quote by Fender Dane.
You can put expensive pickups in a losy piece of plywood and it would still be a lousy piece of plywood.

That's exactly what I told him, we decided when we have our bonfire then were gonna burn it lol
Quote by IbanezFan1993
That's exactly what I told him, we decided when we have our bonfire then were gonna burn it lol

Youtube video plz
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
First Act stuff is even hard to sell. I had a bass from their original release set in the department stores. I got it for around 30 USD if that, it was dirt cheap. I couldn't sell it at all, I actually had to talk a pawn shop into buying it. I only got around 15 for it, and had to go to 3 different pawn shops to sell it but I did. It took effort to sell them so good luck to him , but get something better, even the lowest end Squier and Epiphone is better then that, trust me. Please note that some of the dept store stuff can be sold easily I made a profit off of a guitar.
If it were me I'd keep the guitar and practice doing stuff to it like fretwork, refinishing, electronics work etc.
Quote by Necronomicon
If it were me I'd keep the guitar and practice doing stuff to it like fretwork, refinishing, electronics work etc.

This is a good point, TS. It allows you to practice so you don't mess up something a little bit more pricey.
Quote by bluezombie
Youtube video plz

Second'd.
Matthew 6:33

Uniting the World, One Bridge at a Time.
Quote by Necronomicon

Very good point. Even if it's just for soldering practice for pickups. The money you'd save from knowing how to install your own pickups in the future is probably worth more than the guitar itself if you were to sell it... then again, burning it would be sweet, but I'd hold off and just use it as a guinea pig for experimentation without the worry if something doesn't go exactly according to plan.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
You can only burn it once. Experiment on it until you no longer recognize it as a guitar, then burn it. Don't forget D batteries and accelerant.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
You can only burn it once. Experiment on it until you no longer recognize it as a guitar, then burn it. Don't forget D batteries and accelerant.

And a can of Axe for good measure...
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by Krauser
And a can of Axe for good measure...

Axe for his Axe!

Sorry , just had to get that out of my system.....
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
Quote by AWACS

+1