today i am going to bring my guitar in the shop to get it set up to drop B. what guage strings should i tell them to put in. my guitar is a Jackson RR24 with a floyd soo yeahh, thanx in advanced
Agile Septor Elite 727
Peavey 6505+
I play in B standard on my 7 string with a .60 being the minimum for the B string. If you want to retain some tension and not sound muddy as hell, I'd get a 13-14 gauge set
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
is it gonna be hard to bend?? cuz thats rrally thick, im used to playing .9
Agile Septor Elite 727
Peavey 6505+
It won't be hard to bend if you get 13's. You could always go lighter on the high strings for easier soloing. I did that for a little while. Just remember to intonate your guitar when you're done. Oh and BTW, you're probably going to need more springs for your bridge.
I use 12-60's on a 25.5" scale length, it seems to work best for me. You can swap in a 62-64 in for the low B if you want a bit more tension but i find 60 to be fine.
I used an .11 in drop B. It was fine. It doesn't sound muddy or anything. A .12 would be fine too. After all, in drop B, the guitar is tuned in standard C# with the bottom string dropped. So, C# is only a step and a half down from A440. So an .11 or .12 should be fine. But for the low E, yeah atleast get a .60. Get some nice tension.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Quote by BURNTHEPRIEST94
is it gonna be hard to bend?? cuz thats rrally thick, im used to playing .9

I think the general rule is that you up the gauge for each semitone you go down, so a .13 should be good for you at the minimum. It'll be thick but the loss of tension means that they'll be looser as well. If you try playing in Drop B with <.13 then your rhythm is going to be muddy as hell...trust me get the 13-14 gauge set.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

ok i think im going to go in between hahaa. people are saying .11 and some .13 soo ill just go with .12 hahaa
Agile Septor Elite 727
Peavey 6505+
12-52, or 13-54/56 it's the shit.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
If you are tuning in a drop tuning and locking in like that you might as well use a drop tuning string set. If you use a standard pack with a thick gauge your first 5 strings will be extremely tight. Everyone here talking about using 13-14 gauge packs is assuming that you are using a standard set.

Go a set designed for drop tuning
ohh yeahh. that would actually make more sense haha. i would then want either .11 or .12 but with the dropped set. o they make those sets?
Agile Septor Elite 727
Peavey 6505+
I use 12-56 for Drop B on my LP, but I prefer slightly looser strings.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I think your looking for the Bass forum

I honestly cant say, but I use 10-46 for drop C, and I have absolutely no issues with sound
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by BURNTHEPRIEST94
ok i think im going to go in between hahaa. people are saying .11 and some .13 soo ill just go with .12 hahaa

if you insist with a lower gauge try these out

http://store.daddario.com/category/339134/EXL148_Extra_Heavy_12-60

anything lower on the B string and it's going to be too loose. It is possible to play with lower gauges, but to play with an 11-12 gauge set on B is like playing in D standard with 9 gauge strings. You're going to get a muddy ass tone and you might enjoy it, but once you compare it to something in the same tuning with the more 'correct' tension, you'll see the difference quite clearly
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

12-56 (Or 12-54 whatever it happens to be) works great, I use the Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinky" strings.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I think your looking for the Bass forum

I honestly cant say, but I use 10-46 for drop C, and I have absolutely no issues with sound

Yep, I'll do drop C on my LP with 10's with absolutely no issues. Put on some 11's maybe even 12's and you'll be fine with drop B
Music must be honest to be timeless.