Hey all! I have a 5 string bass with a 34" scale and I tune it ADADG. I like my strings to have a decent amount of tension, and, being mainly a guitar player, I wasn't sure which string gauge would work best giving my drop tuning and shorter scale length. I was thinking I'd need at least 130-135 for my low string, but any information you guys could provide would be great. Thanks!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Where does one find such heavy gauges? I'm looking around and the lowest I can find is a 135
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
depends what brand you look at.

I know for a fact you can custom-order from D'addario, DR do stupidly high gauges and Warwick go up to at least .170.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
depends what brand you look at.

I know for a fact you can custom-order from D'addario, DR do stupidly high gauges and Warwick go up to at least .170.

Last I checked, D'addario only go up to 145, Warwick go up to 175. Not sure about DR though.

Rotosound also make a 175, but it only comes in a 4 string set. (seriously Rotosound? Seriously?)
pinga
was thinking about that tuning for a long time :-) (i tune my 4 banger CFCF)

if you're not too short on money I would recommend doing a custom set. I use a DR DDT 135 set. When I tried ADADG then tension on the 3 upper strings was too high compared that of the 2 others.

I never tried them, but Circle K Strings make custom sets and get much loving on other bass forums.