Hi you guys, im a bass player who wants to learn to play electric guitar. so i need to buy one, duh!

the candidates:

- ibanez Darkstone DN520K-SSB (http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page11.php?data_id=230&color=CL02&area_id=3&year=2011&cat_id=1&series_id=482)
- ibanez E-gen-8 (http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page11.php?area_id=3&data_id=275&color=CL01&year=2011&cat_id=1&series_id=446)
- ibanez S 770 FM- ATF (http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page11.php?area_id=3&data_id=241&color=CL01&year=2011&cat_id=1&series_id=486)
- Schechter Hellraiser C-1 (http://www.schecterguitars.com/International/Products/Guitar/Hellraiser-C-1.aspx)

my budget is around € 600.- for the guitar. im planning to get a Marshall MG 30 amp.

im asking for your help 'cause all my friends give me different advise. i mostly listen to rock, metal, funk. my band (were i play bass) plays alternative rock.

could you give me some help? i'm a total newbie with 6 strings, so please be kind.

Wout.
Don't get the MG. Really bad rep. I'll suggest a Vox Valvetronix instead.
I'd get Schecter since it's not a trem, which can be really annoying, especially for a first guitar.
Blacktop Telecaster and a Roland cube 15XL or 30, brilliant for rock.

EDIT: Stay away from MG as others have said, bad amp is bad.
Don't get a trem on your first guitar. So get either the Darkstone or the C-1.

I'd personally recommend the Darkstone. The pickups will most likely sound better through a low wattage SS amp than active EMG's will.

Also, don't get the MG. It's a terrible amp for the price. A Peavey Vypyr is a much better amp especially for what you play.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 15, 2011,
I've heard great things about the Schecter C1 Hellraiser.

Also, why not look at some Ibanez RGs?

For your amp, I recommend a Roland Cube [any of the models]. They have amp models which are fantastic for metal.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
get the darkstone or the hellraiser. you should probably stick to fixed bridges at first. then, after you've learned how to play guitar, you can learn how to **** around with the flyod rose.
Play them all and see what neck fits your hand best. As a bass player you might have trouble with those skinny little shredder necks. Also, pay attention to the guy who said not to get a trem on your first guitar. You need to spend time practicing, not dicking around with your bridge setup.
Out of those options. Hell raiser c1
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
Oke, so stay away from the MG. why? is i may ask?

its down to 2 guitars, the schecter or the darkstone. no trem on a first guitar, got it! (thanks for the advise)
Quote by groenejw
Oke, so stay away from the MG. why? is i may ask?

its down to 2 guitars, the schecter or the darkstone. no trem on a first guitar, got it! (thanks for the advise)

It just sounds bad. For the same price, there are amps that sound better, and are way more versatile (have a lot more effects and settings.) The "good" practice amps are the Peavey Vypyr, the Vox Valvetronix, and the Roland Cube.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'd say Dark Stone, especially because active pickups sound like complete shit through solid state amps.
hi guys, just to let you know, in the end, i bought the Schecter c-1 hellraiser. your help really came in handy. maybe the ibanez darkstone dn 520 SSN in the future, but for now im really happy with my Schecter. also, im planning in staying away from the Marshall MG serie. most likely its gonna be a Roland cube or VOX.
congrats on your schecter! as others said, stay away from the MG series unless you absolutely need "crushing overdrive". I like the Cube models and obviously im a fan of Vypyrs. Either would work well for what you want
one of the new charvels and a roland cube 30 or peavey vypyr?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by I-Heart-Guitar
a Roland cube 15XL or 30, brilliant for rock.

EDIT: Stay away from MG as others have said, bad amp is bad.

This.
MGs have the worst distortion for an amp that isn't a stock amp.
I have a Roland cube 15X. It's a brilliant and very versatile amp. You'll love it.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!