As a bassist, how are you supposed to hold the pick? I noticed guitarists usually have their hand resting on the bridge. Where are you supposed to rest it as a bassist? And what angle do you hold the pick at and with what fingers? Thanks in advance!
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
You can hold it anyway you like. There really isnt much of a difference, but it also depends on the tone you want. If you want a more growly bright tone, pick near the bridge.

When I do use a pick, I hold it between my thumb and index, or thumb and middle. It all depends. Im not a pick player though.
pinga
I keep my hand floppy with the pick between my index finger and my thumb, just like with my guitar. Usually I see bass players with their hand not resting at all when playing with a pick.
with your hand.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
if you rest it near the bridge it sounds twangy, so you can either rest your arm on the top of the bass so your wrist has lots of movement or float your hand abover everything, so your whole arm has lots of movement.

Elitists will moan about the first suggestion.. but if you can play it.. who cares?

You also need to let more of the pick hit the strings than on guitar and a little bit more force... but that's about the only difference.

EDIT: Lord_Doku has a very good point too.
Last edited by Silent Murder at May 15, 2011,
Alrighty! Is there a certain angle I should hold the pick? Straight the pickups or what?
I really prefer using my first two fingers vs a pick so if I REALLY must use one I hold it with my thumb and pinky
Quote by The Vicker
I really prefer using my first two fingers vs a pick so if I REALLY must use one I hold it with my thumb and pinky

Quote by GrStMyGn

He's saying that he likes using fingerstyle, but if he does use a pick, he holds it in a way that it doesn't limit the use of his fingers so he can switch. Like how guitarists play hybrid style, but with the emphasis on fingers instead of pick.

Actually I was being a smartass. I don't know of anyone that holds a pick that way let alone me.

In all honesty though. I hold a pick with both hands.
Last edited by The Vicker at May 15, 2011,
proper pick holding form is the same on both instruments. resting your hand on the guitar is actually bad form but people do it a lot and it works just fine. it is best to keep your hand floating.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Thanks gents! I still don't get what angle to hold it at though.
Last edited by Rawshik at May 16, 2011,
the angle of the pick depends on how you are playing.I keep the edge of the pick parallel with the strings normal and at a 45 when tremolo picking.

I keep the pick itself perpendicular to the body like tabdog said. and keep it angled when strumming chords.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Makes sense. Thank yas!
I've been trying to find a new way to hold and play, of late my bands be doing some more heavy sounding stuff and it's left my thumb taking a beating during playing. After one 45 minute set I couldn't move it and it was shaking... it's clearly not healthy
depends what kind of sound you're looking for. Playing closer to the neck gives it more grind and rattle, which I personally enjoy. Depends what kinds of picks you like too. I'm not big on the giant paddle bass picks, 1.5mm gator picks work pretty well for me.