Hey guys i gotmy first valvew amp today and am trying really hard to get this right, so far to my knowledge, to turn it on, you turn the power on, then the standby? then off, you turn the standby off, then the power? is this right and how do i just keep it in standby while i go somewhere for afew minutes?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
That is correct, but when turning on leave it in stand by for a few mins to let the tubes heat up. To leave it just turn stand by on
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
When you turn it on you flip the power switch, wait about 30 seconds and then flip the stanby switch so you can play. When you shut the amp off flip the standby switch and once the amp fades away completely you can shut the amp off. You can leave your amp in standby mode if you are going to venture a way for a bit, but definitely don't leave it running for too long of a time.
But which switch do i flick off to put it in standby? the Standby or the power?
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Also, my power valves kind of tick over when i turn the amp off, is that normal?Like a car bonnet cooling down?
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Power on + Standby Off (away from 'active', etc) for power up, power down, and short breaks.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by LEPIV at May 15, 2011,
Quote by ProphetToJables
But which switch do i flick off to put it in standby? the Standby or the power?

You flick the standby switch. Powering the amp down wouldn't make sense if you were trying to put it in standby. Don't worry so much man, you will get the hang of it and your amp won't blow if you flick the wrong switch once or twice. It happens. And yeah I get a clicking sound when my amp powers down too. Its normal.
Quote by ProphetToJables
Also, my power valves kind of tick over when i turn the amp off, is that normal?Like a car bonnet cooling down?

This is normal. They're just cooling down.
Thanks so much for your help guys
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Are there any other tips and tricks you know?
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
tricks for what?

it's very simple... when you turn the amp on, make sure it is in standby mode, give it 20-30 seconds and then take it off standby mode (different amp makers label this differently which is confusing sometimes when people say "standby on/standby off").

There is no need to put it on standby when turning the amp off. I will never understand why people suggest this. It does not help the tubes cool down, 1) the heaters are still on 2) the tubes will still be hot from having 300-500VDC shot to them, so anything those heaters do will be insignificant anyway.
Last edited by al112987 at May 15, 2011,
I meant valve/amp care in general
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Ah... ok. Well... tube amps are much easier to maintain than people seem to think. You will need to replace the tubes regularly (how regularly depends on how you use the amp). When tubes do go you will sometimes have to re-bias, and depending on how they go you may need to replace a fuse and a resistor or two. So having a good tech is useful. What kind of amp is it?
Last edited by al112987 at May 15, 2011,
Bugera 6262 212 combo
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables

UH OH!!! Sounds like a bomb! Toss it out into your front yard to be safe... I'm an ex-military EOD guy, I'll be by in a minute to check it out for you....by the way, what was your address again?

OK OK, yeah, that's normal.
There is no point to putting an amp in standby when walking away from it for a bit, taking a break, etc. That is not what standby is for. If you take a break in rehearsal or take a set break or walk away for a few minutes or whatever, just leave the amp on or turn it all the way off. Doesn't matter which you do, but don't put it in standby.

An amp can sit running for long periods of time with no problems, standby is only used on initial startup to allow the tube heaters to heat up the cathodes.