I have a schecter omen 6 fr, and I still have the pickups that came with it. I play mainly Children Of Bodom style stuff, and I am looking to get a much more meaty tone when i set my Roland Micro-Cube to the R-Fier setting.. So I was lookin around on the interweb and came across the EMG Afterburner gain booster. Would this suit my purposes? How cheap would it be to get it installed? I also heard somewhere that EMG Pickups give out the kind of tone that I want. However, I can only get new pickups OR the Afterburner. Which would you go for?
TheRipperA7X
Turn your midrange up. That will get you a meatier tone.

An afterburner is just a 20db gain boost. All it will do is compress the signal more, which takes away from beef.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
As long as you're using a Micro cube you're always going to sound like you're using a Micro cube, regardless of what kind of shenanigans you play with your electronics. There's a reason CoB doesn't record with them.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
save your money and buy a better amp, that will improve your tone a lot more than new pickups will
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
i got emgs a while back, they completely changed my tone for the better. I got the emg h4 for my bridge, which is what youll need for bodom. they have a really nice, chunky tone that works well with lower tunings. the afterburner only boosts, i would get that later.
Buy a better amp.

If you really like Roland Cubes, go with an XL Cube, which has an equalizer.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Ok thanks. The only reason I have a Micro-CUbe is because that's the first amp i had and my parents think that all amps are the same just some are louder and more expensive others aren't, and they say I don't need a louder one. I try to tell them but they dont listen
TheRipperA7X
One other thing I forgot to mention is that I have a boss me-50 which I use sometimes as well
TheRipperA7X
Did you notice he's playing a top-of-the-line Jackson through an Engl (~$3000 USD) head out of a Marshall (~$1000? 1200 for V30 greens) cab? I did the same tone chasing when I first got into gear. I owned two Peavey Rage 158s and thought that if I could lose my yamaha hollow body and pick up a Jackson I'd have it made for metal. Truth is, if you take Laiho's Jackson and play it through your microcube and then find an acoustic/electric nylon string and play it through a mesa or an engl you're going to be DRAMATICALLY closer to the tone in your head with the acoustic guitar. The body wood and pickups are going to INFLUENCE the sound, your amp will VOICE your sound, and your cab will SHAPE your sound. You following?

Think of your fingers, strings, guitar body, pickups, amp, and cab all in a line. They can all be fine tuned to get a specific sound. The most dramatic changes come from the farthest down the line. A speaker upgrade makes a world of difference in tone. Same with your amp. Strings? Sure, new strings vs. old, flat vs round wound. But they don't make as big of a difference as a change of amp.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that your amp limits your tone in a much bigger way than I think you understand right now. Borrow a friend's guitar. Go to a GC and play a bunch of different guitars through your amp. You'll notice they all sound about the same. Then play your guitar through a mesa triple rec, or an Engl fireball. It'll rock your world.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Quote by cds+stereo=life
Did you notice he's playing a top-of-the-line Jackson through an Engl (~$3000 USD) head out of a Marshall (~$1000? 1200 for V30 greens) cab? I did the same tone chasing when I first got into gear. I owned two Peavey Rage 158s and thought that if I could lose my yamaha hollow body and pick up a Jackson I'd have it made for metal. Truth is, if you take Laiho's Jackson and play it through your microcube and then find an acoustic/electric nylon string and play it through a mesa or an engl you're going to be DRAMATICALLY closer to the tone in your head with the acoustic guitar. The body wood and pickups are going to INFLUENCE the sound, your amp will VOICE your sound, and your cab will SHAPE your sound. You following?

Think of your fingers, strings, guitar body, pickups, amp, and cab all in a line. They can all be fine tuned to get a specific sound. The most dramatic changes come from the farthest down the line. A speaker upgrade makes a world of difference in tone. Same with your amp. Strings? Sure, new strings vs. old, flat vs round wound. But they don't make as big of a difference as a change of amp.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that your amp limits your tone in a much bigger way than I think you understand right now. Borrow a friend's guitar. Go to a GC and play a bunch of different guitars through your amp. You'll notice they all sound about the same. Then play your guitar through a mesa triple rec, or an Engl fireball. It'll rock your world.

Great post.

TS this is 100% correct you could spend bits of money here and there as a "band-aid" for your tone but the plain truth is until you are ready to drop some cash on a pro setup you are never going to get pro tone.

I would just stick with what you have and save up as much as you can for a new amp and maybe guitar. In the long run you will have spend as much money on new pickups, pedals, speakers etc as you would have on just getting a new better setup.