Hey guys,

I have an Ibanez RG120, but I hate the FAT10 bridge.
I want to put a new bridge in, but I noticed the there is
more wood cut out for the locking bridges in other RG models.
Is there a locking bridge that can fit in my RG120?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
where is the excess routing to? Is it routed too much near the fine tuners, or near the tremolo arm?

Also, can you post a pic of it? I googled the guitar, but I see a few different bridges on them. I have an Ibanez with a FAT10, and it is indeed shaped differently than other tremolos
Excess routing? I'm guessing that means the hole for the trem, am I right? The hole is only big enough to fit the FAT10.

There are no fine tuners of the FAT10 bridge - there are only the little things that you use to adjust the saddles on the bridge for intonation.

Also, I googled your guitar and found it had the same bridge [like you said].
Why did you want me to upload a pic?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I wanted a picture to be sure you have the exact same bridge as me, but if you do, than we're good

OK, good news, I had a floyd rose tremolo kicking around and I was planning on changing the strings on my Ibanez anyway, so I went ahead and swapped tremolos.

It fits (with a little persuading) but it needs additional routing in order to function properly.

Firstly, there would need to be routing done so the slot for the tremolo arm itself can fit into the pocket. What I had to do was push one side in, and screw the right height screw (closest to the arm) in about half way and screw the left height screw in about 10% of the way. Once the tremolo was under both screwheads, I used the torque of the screwing to secure the tremolo in place. You only need about 1 or 2 millimeters to make the tremolo slot fit sensible, so a router isn't even really necessary. You can use a drill, powered screwdriver, or even sandpaper!

Secondly the biggest issue is that there needs to be routing behind the floyd, where the fine tuners are, in order for the tremolo to be able to move. As the tremolo sits now, it's completely stationary, and won't move up or down (I don't mind, I had mine blocked anyway) Now, my biggest concern about not doing any routing behind the tremolo is that IT RAISES YOUR ACTION SIGNIFICANTLY and you won't be able to lower it without adjusting the truss rod for "controlled relief" which many consider a real tone sucker, so use at your own risk!

But the good news it that the fine tuners work, and it holds tune well (it should, it's basically a hardtail now!)

OK I have a question tho, were you wanting to swap the FAT10 because of tuning stability, or did you want a floyd to go all "whammy-crazy?" I hated the FAT10, so I blocked it, which solved the problems with changing tunings and the instability

Any questions, just ask :-)
sorry for the double post but I just found something that really needs to be said:

With regards to not routing any space for the tremolo arm, It messes up your string spacing! All the strings are a mm or two towards the right.

Now I took the tremolo out again, and routed space for the arm, but I can't tell if the string spacing is just a MICROMILLIMETER off. I'm using an import floyd which I'm assuming uses metric spacing, and I'm pretty sure the import Ibanez trems are metric too. But, it still seems just a microscopic bit off, but maybe it's just me.
Quote by argentotenebre
where is the excess routing to? Is it routed too much near the fine tuners, or near the tremolo arm?

Also, can you post a pic of it? I googled the guitar, but I see a few different bridges on them. I have an Ibanez with a FAT10, and it is indeed shaped differently than other tremolos

I'm amazed at how lame the answers that are being given are

The TS is talking about the back routing that makes the assorted and sundry Ibanez Edge bridges fully floating.

With that said if you want an axe with a floating Floyd rose bridge buy a guitar that has one.

The axes below are about the minimum price point for a licensed Floyd Rose (LFR) bridge that actually works correctly.

$300 axes with LFR bridges have horrible intonation issues and just won't stay in tune worth a shit.

Sticking to Ibanez these would be good choices

Ibanez S420

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S420-Electric-Guitar?sku=584140http://

Ibanez RG470MH

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG470MH-Electric-Guitar?sku=H69989
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier