I have been playing electric guitar for about three years and I think I have a decent level, I mostly play metal, metal all the way, I can shred but I don't know other chords than major chords, minor chords and power chords, and when I learn a new chord is more difficult to me to learn it than a difficult solo, I like classical music, and I play some pieces from paganini, bach, beethoven and mozart, of course all of them in "metal version" aka without basses and playing with a pick.

but I have decided to expand my horizons learning classical guitar, I have started learning the beginning of asturias and moonlight sonata first movement all of this in my electric guitar, I don't have an acoustic guitar yet, also I have seen a couple of videos of the correct position for my right hand, and how to play correctly with fingers.

so any advice? exercise or songs do you recomend me? also I only have a couple days trying classical guitar, but I feel frustated because the maximun speed I am able to play with my fingers in one string (this is called tremolo, right?) is something like eighth notes at 140 bpm, this will improve only with practice? o maybe I'm doing wrong and have to learn a proper technique? or both?, if it is this way, where can I learn it? also some advice for this?

sorry for long long post, but answers will be greatly appreaciated, thank you
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
I had started in a similar way, playing on and off for 2 years on an electric. And didnt feel to be learning anything from playing it. So I started having lessons on a steel string acoustic and basically started learning again from scratch.

Got myself a Manuel Rodriguez classical guitar and a support and havent really put the guitar down for 9 months. Up around grade 5 now, but am in the same boat as you with trills.

Chromatics are a pretty good exercise to play around with, as is the spider to split fingers 3-4.

Also trills between fingers 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 are really painful but build strength and greater control (start with fairly low speed and try not to move too far off string). As far as you can down the neck and back, stop when its getting difficult and rest.
Quote by JColls85
I had started in a similar way, playing on and off for 2 years on an electric. And didnt feel to be learning anything from playing it. So I started having lessons on a steel string acoustic and basically started learning again from scratch.

Got myself a Manuel Rodriguez classical guitar and a support and havent really put the guitar down for 9 months. Up around grade 5 now, but am in the same boat as you with trills.

Chromatics are a pretty good exercise to play around with, as is the spider to split fingers 3-4.

Also trills between fingers 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 are really painful but build strength and greater control (start with fairly low speed and try not to move too far off string). As far as you can down the neck and back, stop when its getting difficult and rest.

thank for your answer, well I'm not feeling that I'm not learning form electric, I love electric guitar and I am satisfied with what I can do with it, the thing is that I want to learn more about the instrument I love, new techcniques, a new way to play it.

also right now I'm seeing what guitar I would buy, I have a considerable small budget, (around 100$) I could get a decent classical guitar for a begginer like me with 100 bucks?

also what grade 5 means? sorry I doesn't know a lot of things in this subject

I have already work with chromatics before in electric guitar, I'm fairly good with those, also I am good with 1-2 trills, but in electric I never play a lot of 2-3, or 3-4, I will practice those, my biggest problem is that I really suck changing from a chord to another, but I'm practicing really hard, now I have almost a week and I want to dedicate to this a loooot of more time.
Quote by Våd Hamster

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Quote by andras67
thank for your answer, well I'm not feeling that I'm not learning form electric, I love electric guitar and I am satisfied with what I can do with it, the thing is that I want to learn more about the instrument I love, new techcniques, a new way to play it.

also right now I'm seeing what guitar I would buy, I have a considerable small budget, (around 100$) I could get a decent classical guitar for a begginer like me with 100 bucks?

also what grade 5 means? sorry I doesn't know a lot of things in this subject

I have already work with chromatics before in electric guitar, I'm fairly good with those, also I am good with 1-2 trills, but in electric I never play a lot of 2-3, or 3-4, I will practice those, my biggest problem is that I really suck changing from a chord to another, but I'm practicing really hard, now I have almost a week and I want to dedicate to this a loooot of more time.

You will get faster with practice of course and a good right and left hand technique is important.

Don't focus on speed though, focus on getting a good sound. If you go to Germany or some other European country, all of the players there are blisteringly fast and accurate but they have shit tone. Too many players are Malmsteen fast and they're nothing special when everything they play sounds like flies buzzing around your ear.

Instead of speed, work on getting a beautiful tone, if you can make a resonant sound that projects from your instrument, you'll sound far better when playing pieces than another player who can play super fast but has shit tone.

Get a teacher. Seriously. Classical guitar is quite rewarding but you will need a pair of very good ears to help you along. There are countless things that you can get away with on electric guitar that you can't on classical guitar. Please don't tell me that you think your ears are good enough to figure out what's 'good' and 'bad' either, listening to classical guitar music is worlds apart from listening to electric guitar music. A good teacher will be able to help you spot out what you should be listening for when playing and show you how you should be doing things.

Learn to shape your right hand nails to get the best sound you can without compromising your playing.

Don't play Asturias or Moonlight Sonata just yet either, you need to really get the basics of actually holding the instrument and making it sound good down before even thinking of playing either of those pieces. Asturias is considered to be a difficult piece even though so many people know the first few bars, they sound like shit when they play it. The same goes for Moonlight Sonata, just because it's slow doesn't mean it's easy.

And don't listen to JColls85 about practice. Playing should never be a painful experience, if you experience some sort of pain while practicing, you're doing it wrong and on the way to injuring yourself.

Grades in classical guitar (and other instruments) are just a level of accomplishment that is set by a certain music examination board.

Here in Australia, we have the Australian Music Examination Board, their grades include:

Preliminary
Grades 1-8
Certificate of Performance <<That's considered grade 9
Associate of Music
Licentiate of Music
Fellowship of Music

Grade 5 in classical guitar is about between beginner to intermediate level.

You probably won't get a decent classical guitar for $100, I would save up and buy a mid-level instrument if I were you if you're serious about taking classical guitar up.

I recommend Alhambra guitars to all student players up until the 4P model, which is good enough to last up to grade 6-7. The 4P model from Alhambra is about the best value for money you can get from Alhambra before the cost exceeds the quality of the instrument.

Get stuck into some of Carcassi's studies. Look up Op. 60.

Fernando Sor also has some fantastic studies for beginners too.

Hope you enjoy learning how to play!
try to play some etudes by famous classical guitarits like the ones mentions above, to them I'd add Giuliani, Carulli, Tarrega, de Visee etc'...
Plus try to play those by sheet music and not by ear.
Quote by XianXiuHong
You will get faster with practice of course and a good right and left hand technique is important.

Don't focus on speed though, focus on getting a good sound. If you go to Germany or some other European country, all of the players there are blisteringly fast and accurate but they have shit tone. Too many players are Malmsteen fast and they're nothing special when everything they play sounds like flies buzzing around your ear.

Instead of speed, work on getting a beautiful tone, if you can make a resonant sound that projects from your instrument, you'll sound far better when playing pieces than another player who can play super fast but has shit tone.

Get a teacher. Seriously. Classical guitar is quite rewarding but you will need a pair of very good ears to help you along. There are countless things that you can get away with on electric guitar that you can't on classical guitar. Please don't tell me that you think your ears are good enough to figure out what's 'good' and 'bad' either, listening to classical guitar music is worlds apart from listening to electric guitar music. A good teacher will be able to help you spot out what you should be listening for when playing and show you how you should be doing things.

Learn to shape your right hand nails to get the best sound you can without compromising your playing.

Don't play Asturias or Moonlight Sonata just yet either, you need to really get the basics of actually holding the instrument and making it sound good down before even thinking of playing either of those pieces. Asturias is considered to be a difficult piece even though so many people know the first few bars, they sound like shit when they play it. The same goes for Moonlight Sonata, just because it's slow doesn't mean it's easy.

And don't listen to JColls85 about practice. Playing should never be a painful experience, if you experience some sort of pain while practicing, you're doing it wrong and on the way to injuring yourself.

Grades in classical guitar (and other instruments) are just a level of accomplishment that is set by a certain music examination board.

Here in Australia, we have the Australian Music Examination Board, their grades include:

Preliminary
Grades 1-8
Certificate of Performance <<That's considered grade 9
Associate of Music
Licentiate of Music
Fellowship of Music

Grade 5 in classical guitar is about between beginner to intermediate level.

You probably won't get a decent classical guitar for $100, I would save up and buy a mid-level instrument if I were you if you're serious about taking classical guitar up.

I recommend Alhambra guitars to all student players up until the 4P model, which is good enough to last up to grade 6-7. The 4P model from Alhambra is about the best value for money you can get from Alhambra before the cost exceeds the quality of the instrument.

Get stuck into some of Carcassi's studies. Look up Op. 60.

Fernando Sor also has some fantastic studies for beginners too.

Hope you enjoy learning how to play!

thank oyu for all the information.

well, nowadays I'm broke I only have the 100 bucks, I can't afford a teacher right now, I'm planning to be selftought a couple of months now that I'm in vacations, next semester in my collegue I will take classical guitar classes, I have heard the classical guitar progam at my collegue is very good.

meanwhile I have a friend who is studying classical guitar at the conservatory in my home town he will teach me some things like how to hold the guitar, and how to cut my finger nails, but I need a guitar, as you say I need to learn to a get a beautiful tone, I don't think I can work to much on this if and in how I have to hold my guitar if I'm practicing in my electric flying V, I haven't seen alhambra guitars at local stores I google them, it say the cost around 350-400 bucks, I am not having this money in at least two or three months, that is why I tought that it was a good idea to buy a cheap guitar only for practicing three of four months and later upgrading it, my friend tells me the same thing like you, that I can't get a decent guitar for 100 $, but I convinced him to help me search for something decent just to practice 3 or four months, he say It would be great if I could get a guitar made of dalbergia palescrito "palo escrito" as the said in my country, or at least from cedar, what do you think about this?, well I found in a craiglist a 100 $ used cedar classical guitar, and I show it to him and he says it is a decent one only for prafticing some months, he also says for a little more something like 150 a luthier he knows could make me a nice begginer guitar. what do you think is my best choice?

I read your answer today I doesn't have time this day to check that carcassi etude, but I will check it out tomorrow, promise

also my friend told me that it would be great if I could start reading sagreras book, I have bought it and I'm also starting to read it tomorrow
Quote by Våd Hamster

Quote by andras67
thank oyu for all the information.

well, nowadays I'm broke I only have the 100 bucks, I can't afford a teacher right now, I'm planning to be selftought a couple of months now that I'm in vacations, next semester in my collegue I will take classical guitar classes, I have heard the classical guitar progam at my collegue is very good.

meanwhile I have a friend who is studying classical guitar at the conservatory in my home town he will teach me some things like how to hold the guitar, and how to cut my finger nails, but I need a guitar, as you say I need to learn to a get a beautiful tone, I don't think I can work to much on this if and in how I have to hold my guitar if I'm practicing in my electric flying V, I haven't seen alhambra guitars at local stores I google them, it say the cost around 350-400 bucks, I am not having this money in at least two or three months, that is why I tought that it was a good idea to buy a cheap guitar only for practicing three of four months and later upgrading it, my friend tells me the same thing like you, that I can't get a decent guitar for 100 $, but I convinced him to help me search for something decent just to practice 3 or four months, he say It would be great if I could get a guitar made of dalbergia palescrito "palo escrito" as the said in my country, or at least from cedar, what do you think about this?, well I found in a craiglist a 100 $ used cedar classical guitar, and I show it to him and he says it is a decent one only for prafticing some months, he also says for a little more something like 150 a luthier he knows could make me a nice begginer guitar. what do you think is my best choice?

I read your answer today I doesn't have time this day to check that carcassi etude, but I will check it out tomorrow, promise

also my friend told me that it would be great if I could start reading sagreras book, I have bought it and I'm also starting to read it tomorrow

Wood of the guitar doesn't really make a difference in entry level guitars, the difference is very subtle and the laminate on the guitar will kill the sound of the wood anyway. But, if your friend knows what they're doing and the luthier's good, I suppose getting him to make a guitar would be fine (but I have never heard of a luthier making and selling a guitar for $150). If you get the chance, play some of the instruments the luthier has already made and compare them to the other ones in your price range, if you like the ones the luthier makes, go with that. I don't know if you actually mean to cut your nails but just to make sure, you don't cut your nails when you play classical guitar. You file your nails instead.

Cutting your nails will damage them and cause them to flake and give a terrible tone. Your friend should have a nail care kit of some sort, get him to do your nails. It sounds very gay but having someone do your nails for you for a while will help you get the idea on how to shape and take care of them.