I currently own a Fender Blues Deville. It is a nice amp, but I'm in a band now, and its really not the tone of the band. My buddy has a Marshall Stack and the Deville's stock OD channel is pure excrement! I use a bunch of OD pedals, and none are quite the same. I'm thinking of selling the Deville(I love the tweed) and am just not sure what to get. We are a loud band! Hard Rock/Punk, and our drummer is a massive hitter and of course a Marshall stack fires up too. I must say the Deville has had no trouble keeping up and thats a good thing(but its never fully clean). I love my Built to Spill and indie rock, so the Fender works awesome for that, but I'm willing to sell it for a better band tone. So now, anyone recommend an amp that has a heavy crunch OD but can still get Fender clean tones for when I'm home? My buddy keeps saying get a Mesa get a Mesa. I've been looking at Egnaters and they seem to be well liked? I heard a guy shredding at a small shop with a Egnater stack and was pretty amazed! I really want a Fender Bassman silverface, but that's not gonna get that Marshall OD tone. Also, I've never really read how well Mesa and Egnater take pedals? Mainly Big Muff

TLDR:
I need Headroom, Fender-esk cleans, and Marshall-esk OD!

Thanks
I feel like, if you have the opportunity, a person should get a Mesa...But I'm really digging the Egnaters. Less Pretentious maybe? I am no star guitar player. I feel I'm progressing nicely though...
If you have messa size budget i suggest looking at a blackstar series 1, they have fender cleans and the big massive distortion sounds that a messa has but with even more tonal shaping available.
Cornford and stick a Surh Riot through it. For cleans, you can't beat Port City!
Just get a messa dual rec or something..
whats your budget if you sold the Fender??

used Roadkings are like $2000 i think, but you'd need a cab as well so add in another $500 for a decent one.

good shout on the Royal Atlantic, from the clips i've heard it would be a pretty good buy but they're not out yet and will be about the same as a used Roadking which is better in every respect
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at May 15, 2011,
Quote by ktgmeasap
I feel like, if you have the opportunity, a person should get a Mesa...But I'm really digging the Egnaters. Less Pretentious maybe? I am no star guitar player. I feel I'm progressing nicely though...

I suggest it all the time, but the Renegade sounds great for what you want. I almost dropped my money on a Stiletto II, but it didnt sound half as impressive as the Renegade.

EDIT: And as suggested above, Traynor is a good option as well. I forgot the model nbame but it's comparable to a Renegade.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
If your budget would alow a Mesa I'd go that route , but your looking at a head and cab which will set you back @$2000 used, more if you go new. The Egnater is a great amp and would work with out a doubt for all of you needs and cost way less.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i owned a renegade for a year ago or so and sold it six month later, i thought it sounded good.

i plugged into one at GC the other day and i it just sounded terrible. not as good as i remember it, and nothing was wrong with the amp. was planning to pick one up again for a versatile beater tube head, but was really disappointed.

maybe it would sound great to you, i don't know as everybody has different ears, but again you have to keep in mind i am spoiled by the amps in my studio.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
There are people who like the sound of the Royal Atlantic? I'd take a Stiletto any day of the week, if not an Electra-Dyne. Both amps sound so much better.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

I'm looking to go the combo route. We practice at my buddies, so always having to lug stuff. And from the looks of Egnater, there combo's are heavy! My Deville isn't too bad, but its fairly tall, and that's worse than weight imo(steep stairs and corners). I would probably really only want to spend about $1.5K max.
Quote by ktgmeasap
The Mark IV is tempting. Not sure about a single 12" though..

well if youre looking to get a combo you might wanna take a look at 112s cause 212 tube combos are heavy as hell. maybe a head and a 212 cab? would be much more portable
~~~~~~
LTD EC-256 - AGED VINTAGE BLACK
Schecter C-1 Plus - BLACK CHERRY
Peavey 6505+ 112
BOSS NS2
DigiTech Bad Monkey OD
Maxon SD9

~~~~~~
Quote by plunkett
well if youre looking to get a combo you might wanna take a look at 112s cause 212 tube combos are heavy as hell. maybe a head and a 212 cab? would be much more portable

Is 1-12" enough for small venues? This weekend I'm playing mic'd so no big deal, but for smaller places unmic'd can it still kick ass? I've got 4-10" now so I don't even need to be mic'd, but did use a Deluxe with a 12" vintage 30 once and it did do pretty good in a small bar. How is the headroom with a Mesa 1-12"?
Quote by ktgmeasap
Is 1-12" enough for small venues? This weekend I'm playing mic'd so no big deal, but for smaller places unmic'd can it still kick ass? I've got 4-10" now so I don't even need to be mic'd, but did use a Deluxe with a 12" vintage 30 once and it did do pretty good in a small bar. How is the headroom with a Mesa 1-12"?

It doesnt matter how many speakers you have. You're still stuck with the same no of watts.
More speakers=thicker sound.
More speakers =/= louder sound

85W all tube is BLOODY loud.

EDIT: It should be quite high, its a pre amp gain based sound. So powertube dist is best avoided in these amps.