So, I was talking about this with someone...

I was thinking, even though I can imagine being strongly disagreed with, is Hugh Grant one of the greatest actors of the past 20 years?

I know it might sound stupid but hear me out...

Take someone like Johnny Depp, a great actor, really diverse, critically and commercially very successful, talks of his love of acting and challenges, then there's Hugh Grant, who has spoken openly about his lack of passion for acting and how he does most of his films for the money, only doing films every year or less recently.

BUT... although i am big Johnny Depp fan, i could never say his acting has full on made me feel better or made me think he has something all those other critically acclaimed actors don't have, but I can definitely say that Hugh Grant has made me feel better or made me laugh in a way that no other actor could, and I think the reason for this is that during films Four Weddings and a Funeral and Notting Hill (his later films, except about a boy and love actually, were pretty boring) he pretty much was playing himself, which brings me something that i don't think i could ever say about anyone in any other role, in those films his acting is perfect, the real thing, he doesn't need the passion to do it because he IS it,

Also, if anyone now plays a role similar to the mumbling romantic englishman they would immediately be compared to Hugh Grant, so he possibly also owns a type of character, which is something i can't think of anyone else doing.

So basically, although i'm sure most people will say Hugh Grant is just some rubbish actor who plays the same character because he can't play any others, do you in some part agree?

and if not, do you think a character in a film has ever been played 100% perfectly?
Last edited by guio/billie-joe at May 15, 2011,
Rachel Green and Jennifer Aniston. God - that woman is annoying. She defines the character or personality type called "Rachel Green". I can't explain it but God it's annoying. I always call annoying women Rachel Green.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Hugh Grant is a type cast, he has one character, the awkward, romantic Brit.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Do I agree with you TS: 100% no. An actor who plays the same role over and over on purpose is not displaying a wide range of acting, which is one of the best qualities of a good actor.

Do I believe a character has been played 100% perfectly: yes. See Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Hannibal Lecter.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by boreamor
Michael Cera has my full hatred.

I know what you mean, I would say he has been typecast as someone who can be done by other actors possibly better, unlike Hugh Grant, who has been typecast, but in a role that i don't think anyone could come near to playing as well.
I was expecting some kind of epic mash-up with someone putting a collection of his greatest lines over the Nightmare song but I'll take what I can get.

I quite like him tbh, I'd say he's the acting equivalent of ACDC, they both know they do one thing really well and stick to it, which is up to them. I normally find that when actors just play themselves that it works really well, which might be why I love Two and a Half Men so much.
Also, About a Boy is one of my favourite films ever, due mainly to Hugh Grant's brilliant performance.

About roles being played 100% perfectly, I'd say the "wise cracking action hero" character was played perfectly by Bruce Willis in the Die Hard films
Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman, one of the best performances i've seen.
Kudos to the user who posted Depp/Sparrow and Ledger/Joker.
Quote by zgr0826

Do I believe a character has been played 100% perfectly: yes. See Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Hannibal Lecter.

I will have you for supper.
Quote by Trowzaa

He does play a good enormous arsehole though.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Quote by boreamor
Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow is some of the best acting I've ever seen. Same with Heath Ledger and the Joker.
See more acting.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Keanu Reeves in the movie Point Break.

You might be asking yourself right about now, "what is this guy trying to communicate with this post?"

My answer to that would be:

Keanu Reeves in the movie Point Break.
Balls.
Depp is easily one of the better actors on the big screen currently. Hugh Grant...yeah, he's obviously got something, but he is typecast. It gets predictable after a short while, but that's not an argument for being bad.
Orlando Bloom however....
he just seems to play himself in every movie, regardless of the role in question.
IMO Tom Hanks is probably the best actor of the last 2 decades.
Andy Lau in Infernal Affairs Trilogy
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Robin Williams in World's Greatest Dad. He played that role perfectly. No one else could have even touched the raw emotion while still giving the comedic indifference. Also Ryan Reynolds in The Nines or Chaos Theory. Both roles are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, yet he managed to play them perfectly.

Outside of movies and onto the Tele, Jim Parsons from the Big Bang Theory is perfect. Down to the facial twitches and just full body control, he is by far the best actor on television.

As far as Hugh Grant goes, he annoys me to no end. I do not think it takes talent to be yourself.
Quote by guio/billie-joe
then there's Hugh Grant, who has spoken openly about his lack of passion for acting and how he does most of his films for the money, only doing films every year or less recently.

Something I've just started thinking about reading this part, why is it a problem that he doesn't have a passion for acting? Maybe he just sees it as a job, it's something he can do very easily and well and it's given him fame and lots of money. Most people don't have a passion for their jobs, and most people's jobs aren't nearly as lucrative.

It'd be like me, I don't know, playing drums for Justin Bieber. I wouldn't be passionate about it but I'd certainly do it because it'd be easier, more fun and better paid than most jobs. Would you criticise me for my "lack of passion?"
Quote by Trowzaa

You say it like it's a bad thing. I lol'd at everything he said and did in that Morgans movie with Sarah Jessica Parker... even though it is really an awful film, Hugh Grant made it bearable and hilarious.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by due 07
Heath Ledger as the Joker was totally lackluster.

Yea, I thought it was a bit lifeless.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SilentHeaven109
Something I've just started thinking about reading this part, why is it a problem that he doesn't have a passion for acting? Maybe he just sees it as a job, it's something he can do very easily and well and it's given him fame and lots of money. Most people don't have a passion for their jobs, and most people's jobs aren't nearly as lucrative.

It'd be like me, I don't know, playing drums for Justin Bieber. I wouldn't be passionate about it but I'd certainly do it because it'd be easier, more fun and better paid than most jobs. Would you criticise me for my "lack of passion?"

He actually said he thinks of it as his job more than anything else, i think people just assume that people who make money out of art must have a passion for it, which most do.
Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler was actually the most moving and genuine perfomance i have ever seen in a film

maybe this isnt so effective without the context of the film, but this scene is probably the only scene in any movie that has given me this type of emotional reaction

edit: ive watched this movie like three times and its still sad :[
Last edited by piratemetalhead at May 15, 2011,
Quote by white_ibanez10
I will have you for supper.

My dear sir, that's rude. I don't like rude, not at all. If you keep acting like that, Dr. Hannibal will have to end up doing this to you...

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
About A Boy FTW

I Hugh Grant.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb