I'm still contemplating on whether I should get a new amp or stay with my starter pack Ibanez amp (I've been playing for 7 months), anyways I'm sick of my Ibanez starter pack amp because the cleans sound guttural and the distortion sounds weak, I'm also contemplating whether to use the money on Mortal Kombat 9 and other stuff or a new amp, so would a Peavey Rage 258 be good for a Thrash Metal tone?
No. It wont be much of an upgrade.
go for a peavey vypyr 30 or a cube 30 or something i you want a reasonable upgrade that'll be better then your ibanez practice amp for not much money.

Plus then you'll have a decent practice amp when your taste develops/you have more money/both and you get into tube amps

I'd probably take the vypyr out of those two because it has a 12 inch speaker which is a lot better for metal.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 15, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
No. It wont be much of an upgrade.
go for a peavey vypyr 30 or a cube 30 or something i you want a reasonable upgrade that'll be better then your ibanez practice amp for not much money.

Plus then you'll have a decent practice amp when your taste develops/you have more money/both and you get into tube amps

I'd probably take the vypyr out of those two because it has a 12 inch speaker which is a lot better for metal.

Huh, I heard that Vypyr amps can be unreliable,
vypyr is the way to go
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yeah but anything besides modeling amps? I've heard modeling amps can sound stale, or is it just Line 6?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Modelling amps are fine for practice amps.
The line 6 SPIDERs are very bad but apart from that..

Huh, so its not like you'll get sick of the Vypyr's tone? Because the transtube on the Rage sounds promising, but not so promising if it won't be much of an improvement.
transtube is just marketing speak..

the rages arent very nice amps. They where fine back in the day before modellers for a practice amp (yeah they didnt sound very good but whatever) but these days theres really no point in getting a low end transistor amp...

you'll get sick of the rages tone far quicker if you got it trust me
The Rage is actually a solid little amp, a friend has one and gets some surprisingly good tones from it. I've never played a vypyr so I can't compare but they're supposed to be very good as well (for a practice amp).
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
The only good Rage is the one Craig gutted and built a valve amp into.
Seriously, they are crap. Save your pennies until you can buy something decent. You'll be glad you did in the long run.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification