i want to buy a new pickup for my guitar (bridge) i have an epiphone les paul special 2...i play pop punk...i really love tom delonges sound...on his fender signature...he uses a sh 8 invader...i could buy one for 50 from this guy...or i could pay around 100 for the pickup he uses in his signature gibson...a dirty fingers...which would sound better in my guitar? no one on yahoo answers knows anything so i came here to ask for better help...so ya...which would be better in my guitar...ooo i forgot to say that i will use clean sounds too and some like chorus and flanger...but i like the semi dirty sounding clean sounds...if u know what im talking about..so ya...any help would be appreciated...i dont know much about pickups...o ya...im playing thru a line 6 spider 2 150w...so ya...thats all

ok fine...i dont want to sound exactly like him...just similar...jesus christ...i cant buy a new guitar or amp for a LONG time...so instead of waiting a good two or three years...i just want to imrpove my sound a little...so now can u guys help?
Last edited by greenday4u at May 15, 2011,
non.

save your money and buy a new amp in the future.

there is no point, none what so ever in spending money on your guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
You're not going to sound like Tom Delonge so you might as well save your $50.
Yeah, I'd get a new amp and then guitar, in that order. We all know about Spiders and the LP Special II is just a starter guitar that shouldn't be upgraded except as more of a hobbyist thing.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
You really won't be able to hear a sound difference with that setup, sorry. It'd be awesome if you could spend $50 bucks on a pickup and have a noticeable impact on your tone, but it's just not realistic. For what it's worth, you could take the $100 you were going to spend, sell your amp, and get an amp that would do a ton of good for your sound.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
You really won't be able to hear a sound difference with that setup, sorry. It'd be awesome if you could spend $50 bucks on a pickup and have a noticeable impact on your tone, but it's just not realistic. For what it's worth, you could take the $100 you were going to spend, sell your amp, and get an amp that would do a ton of good for your sound.

what would u suggest i do?
he just told you.

take the $100 you were going to spend, sell your amp, and get an amp that would do a ton of good for your sound.

thats what i would do given your situation.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
he just told you.

thats what i would do given your situation.

thanks smartass...i meant like..specifically what would he recommend i do...like what would he sell it for...what kind of amp would he buy...all that crap...do u have any suggestions?
Quote by greenday4u
thanks smartass...i meant like..specifically what would he recommend i do...like what would he sell it for...what kind of amp would he buy...all that crap...do u have any suggestions?

dont be so quick to call somebody out, especially when you are new around here. i am not trying to be an ass, its just that you didn't seem to comprehend what he said.

we don't know the magic amp for you so...

if you would give us your budget, general area (for buying used), wether or not you are open to buying used (IMO you should be), and an idea of what tones you are after we would be happy to help you.

okay so we know you like pop punk. lets go from there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
dont be so quick to call somebody out, especially when you are new around here. i am not trying to be an ass, its just that you didn't seem to comprehend what he said.

we don't know the magic amp for you so...

if you would give us your budget, general area (for buying used), wether or not you are open to buying used (IMO you should be), and an idea of what tones you are after we would be happy to help you.

okay so we know you like pop punk. lets go from there.

sorry bro just like..everyones being such a dick about this...im not educated in pickups and gear...i just play...so i like a lot of overdrive...but i need some good cleans too...like i said...a blink 182ish sound...but im trying to migrate over to more of an angels and airwaves tone at times...like for my band...im trying to make more music like ava cuz my singer doesnt like pop punk he likes ava type music...but i still wanna play my pop punk stuff...the reason i dont wanna sell my amp is because its really big and like...my budget is really low...i dont have a job...so money isnt really my thing...im totally down to buy used stuff...my amp used to cost 500+ when it was sold and i got it for 120..thats why im so like...not so quick to sell it...so ya...what else would u like to know lol
if you can sell your amp for $150-$200 (i have no idea what its worth), and have $100 in your pocket and are patient, you could easily score a decent tube amp. read up about tubes, they are not nearly as scary as most people new to them think to be. i see Peavey Valve King 1x12"'s go all the time for the money you have, or a peavey classic 30's, or quite a few others i cant think of off of the top of my head.

size is not nearly as importiant of a factor as some people make it out to be. also tube watts are louder than solid state (what you have now) watts (we will not get into the reasons why now), and in most cases 30watts is more than plenty to gig with on a small/med gig, and if you do something larger, you are usually marked.

so just see what you can do, a new amp will do wonders for your tone. certainly the best bang for your buck, even if there is a little temporary inconvience.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if you can sell your amp for $150-$200 (i have no idea what its worth), and have $100 in your pocket and are patient, you could easily score a decent tube amp. read up about tubes, they are not nearly as scary as most people new to them think to be. i see Peavey Valve King 1x12"'s go all the time for the money you have, or a peavey classic 30's, or quite a few others i cant think of off of the top of my head.

size is not nearly as importiant of a factor as some people make it out to be. also tube watts are louder than solid state (what you have now) watts (we will not get into the reasons why now), and in most cases 30watts is more than plenty to gig with on a small/med gig, and if you do something larger, you are usually marked.

so just see what you can do, a new amp will do wonders for your tone. certainly the best bang for your buck, even if there is a little temporary inconvience.

Ooo so I should be looking for something like a peavey valve king? What is the difference between a solid state and a tube...like I said I don't know anything bout gear...I just play
Quote by greenday4u
Ooo so I should be looking for something like a peavey valve king? What is the difference between a solid state and a tube...like I said I don't know anything bout gear...I just play

First of all (And I mean this in the most sincere way, so I really hope it doesn't come across as douchebaggery): Get educated on gear (which it appears you're trying to do). The more you know, the more wise choices you can make, and the closer you can get to your ideal sound. The phrase "I don't know anything about gear, I just play" scares me because I've seen too many guys stick to that mentality and either get scammed into buying crap gear for too much money, or they limit their sound by playing through crap gear.

The difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp is that a tube amp gets it's tone (and usually power) from vacuum tubes. They give you a more natural overdriven sound, and in general they just sound better to most player's ears.

As far as an amp to get, keep an eye out on the local used music stores/craigslist/etc for a Valveking, they're a great choice for a first tube amp and they'll probably have more power than you'll ever use. Blackheart and Jet City are other amp brands that would have new or used amps in your price range.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
First of all (And I mean this in the most sincere way, so I really hope it doesn't come across as douchebaggery): Get educated on gear (which it appears you're trying to do). The more you know, the more wise choices you can make, and the closer you can get to your ideal sound. The phrase "I don't know anything about gear, I just play" scares me because I've seen too many guys stick to that mentality and either get scammed into buying crap gear for too much money, or they limit their sound by playing through crap gear.

The difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp is that a tube amp gets it's tone (and usually power) from vacuum tubes. They give you a more natural overdriven sound, and in general they just sound better to most player's ears.

As far as an amp to get, keep an eye out on the local used music stores/craigslist/etc for a Valveking, they're a great choice for a first tube amp and they'll probably have more power than you'll ever use. Blackheart and Jet City are other amp brands that would have new or used amps in your price range.

Ya I just checked my local craigslist...and found a valveking 212 for 375 and then I think like a 112 for 225...so u think either one would be sufficient? And then some guy said eventually buy a new guitar later...I was thinking bout an Epiphone dot...what do u think? Im a lefty so my choices are very slim (lucky me) And ya...I'm trying to be more educated in gear cuz everyone in my band is retarded when it comes to this stuff
Quote by greenday4u
Ya I just checked my local craigslist...and found a valveking 212 for 375 and then I think like a 112 for 225...so u think either one would be sufficient? And then some guy said eventually buy a new guitar later...I was thinking bout an Epiphone dot...what do u think? Im a lefty so my choices are very slim (lucky me) And ya...I'm trying to be more educated in gear cuz everyone in my band is retarded when it comes to this stuff

A Valveking 112 would be perfect. I wouldn't bother with the 212, just more to carry around and you won't really need it. If you're going for the AVA sound exactly, a good amp, a dot, and a delay pedal will get you far. Make sure you know the basics of operating a tube amp (And how to inspect one before you buy it). I'd go into it all, but I think theres probably a sticky or a guide somewhere online for it. Anybody?
Quote by souperman08
A Valveking 112 would be perfect. I wouldn't bother with the 212, just more to carry around and you won't really need it. If you're going for the AVA sound exactly, a good amp, a dot, and a delay pedal will get you far. Make sure you know the basics of operating a tube amp (And how to inspect one before you buy it). I'd go into it all, but I think theres probably a sticky or a guide somewhere online for it. Anybody?

Alright...so now I have to sell my amp...hmmm we'll see how long that takes lol...maybe I'll have some extra so I can buy my guitar by the end of summer...Hopefuly sooner...dude I really appreciate all the help...any more advice?
When I sold my spider amp, I sold it as a package that was great for beginners. I also added in the FBV express pedal thing that I bought with it. These amps can be sold relatively easily, you just need your advertisement to stick out of the bunch easily.

You don't have to blatantly lie about stuff, but using words which, to the buyer sound like a good thing to have you should sell it kinda easily.

Mine was also a Spider 2. I talked a little bit about it being a discontinued amp so it's getting a little harder to come by, which is a shame because its a great amp for practising. Also, I'd definitely say it has all the gain you'll ever need. Because it just does.
150w is a fair amount of power, you could say how it will definitely be loud enough for gigging and band practises, but it can still get nice and quiet to play at night at home and still sound good.

Things like that will help your sale come quicker, because when the person come to your ad on ebay/gumtree/craigslist or whatever you're going to have to make the amp a little more appealing than the ocean of other ads for the same amp that just have a copied and pasted paragraph from the manufacturer in the description.

10 bucks below the normal price that they're selling is 10 bucks you won't really feel, but will make the amp sell quicker 'cause it'll look way tastier for the customer. Depends on how long your prepared to hang on to it though.
Good luck!
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by greenday4u
Alright...so now I have to sell my amp...hmmm we'll see how long that takes lol...maybe I'll have some extra so I can buy my guitar by the end of summer...Hopefuly sooner...dude I really appreciate all the help...any more advice?

Soak up all the knowledge you can. You can learn alot from people here on UG (just make sure you mind the difference between fact and opinion). Just keep research, ask questions, and keep an open mind.
Quote by souperman08
Soak up all the knowledge you can. You can learn alot from people here on UG (just make sure you mind the difference between fact and opinion). Just keep research, ask questions, and keep an open mind.

so im still a little lost on this tube amp thing...is there really a big difference between my amp and a tube amp? like i understand mine is a solid state and all that...but why switch to a tube?
Quote by greenday4u
so im still a little lost on this tube amp thing...is there really a big difference between my amp and a tube amp? like i understand mine is a solid state and all that...but why switch to a tube?

there is a bigger difference than you can probably fathom. tube amps for the most part are superior in just about every way, with few exceptions. google tube amps and do some researching on your own. listen to sound clip demos of tube vs SS on youtube, i am sure there are plenty of them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
after that you'll probably want to sell and upgrade your guitar. the special II won't cut it don't bother putting money into it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by trashedlostfdup
there is a bigger difference than you can probably fathom. tube amps for the most part are superior in just about every way, with few exceptions. google tube amps and do some researching on your own. listen to sound clip demos of tube vs SS on youtube, i am sure there are plenty of them.

What he means here is that the more "modern" solid-state amplifiers have circuits that typically tend to attempt to replicate old-fashioned tube amps. However, those circuits are also typically built out of much cheaper stuff than the tube amps they try to replicate, so the overall tone of a solid state sounds a lot less "natural" than would a tube amp. That especially comes into play with modeling amps that try and pack in a bunch of digital effects and amp simulations onto what's basically a computer inside the amp; everything sounds very digital and computerized (read: processed) and the majority of players prefer the natural clarity of a tube amp.

But, remember, it's all subjective.