Page 1 of 3
I bet half of you thought I'd be making another tele
Here we go, found a good deal on a piece of walnut, and it was time to make something new to present future customers, all experience is good experince as far as Im concerned, so here it is!
Designed for: Thrash, Metal, Heavier stuff

Kisakae (updated aug. 8th

Neck:

Construction: Bolt On
#of frets: 22
neck wood:mahogany
fretboard: ebony
scale: 25
radius: compund
headstock style: Jackson
Binding (headstock): cream
Binding (fretboard):cream
Nut: bone
Inlay: white dots
Finish: glos

Body:

Back Wood: walnut
Binding top: cream
Carve: belly, arm
Bridge:black wilkson trem, strat style

Electronics:

Pickup Config: H x H
neck: Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
Middle: x
bridge: Bareknuckle Cermaic Nailbomb
pickup rings: black plastic
Switch: 5 way blade
Controls: 1 vol 1 tone
Knobs: black strat
Input jack: football plate
Pics!
I'm debating carving the top

About to be glued up!

I still gotta make the body template,and do the hardware order, then the pickup order, so this will probably be complete by....the end of summer, hopefully sooner!
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Last edited by nowa90 at Aug 8, 2011,
why dont you try your hand at a set neck? those can be real shreddy. cause bolt ons feel meh to me. unless your doing an ibby bolt of type deal?
I think I will make my LP set neck, and if it feels good I'll do it on this one too....I just think bolt-on is simpler and easier consider applying finishes and that stuff. I could do a schecter heel, even though my bolt-ons never really get in the way.....
More updates, this is just a fun guitar to work on!

Cut out, with drilled relief for my shitty jigsaw.

Sanded a bit with 50 to remove planer marks.

Some color correction, and rough bridge placement.
Last edited by nowa90 at May 16, 2011,
sweet

have you considered a carve instead of a flat top with the arm contour?

and I won't lie, I skimmed the title and opened the thread expecting to see a tele

edit: oop, I missed where you said you'd consider a carve. do iiit
Quote by james4
sweet

have you considered a carve instead of a flat top with the arm contour?

and I won't lie, I skimmed the title and opened the thread expecting to see a tele

edit: oop, I missed where you said you'd consider a carve. do iiit

atleast you admitted it
I'll probably do it like on the template, but smoothed out, I'll lay out the control first then draw it up. Think I should make the ledge carve, or just a straight angle to the edge like I did on my Les Paul.?
the straight angle's pretty cool, but I think the ledge kinda carve would be super nice on this

the only thing that looks a bit out of place to me in the carve you drew out is how it's not even at the butt end of the guitar. like, there's more carve at the arm contour which may end up looking a little bit funky
Quote by james4
the straight angle's pretty cool, but I think the ledge kinda carve would be super nice on this

the only thing that looks a bit out of place to me in the carve you drew out is how it's not even at the butt end of the guitar. like, there's more carve at the arm contour which may end up looking a little bit funky

Thats why it didn't look good to me, so simple but so not happening. I'll sketch it up in a second, or find a picture.

EDIT: It'll be most likely like this
Last edited by nowa90 at May 18, 2011,
Ba-boomp!
Update, ~3 hours put into it today.
sketched up

And routed, I also made the neck shape after this picture, and need to route the neck pocket soon.
The ass carve looks kinda thick compared to the rest of the guitar.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Once I get the bridge I'' bring it back a bit, just so it all looks good.
Quote by nowa90
Once I get the bridge I'' bring it back a bit, just so it all looks good.

At another glance...it does seem fine, keep it up man, lookin good so far!
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Quote by Ippon
That'll have a very nice neck access. I'd dye it TransBlack.

Sure hope so. I almost did it JEM (24 fret is the deepest part of horn) style, but I like where it makes the bridge fit, so it'll be super comfortable to play standing/sitting, plus the carve that's happening.
We'll see about finishes, I know it'll be some sort of black though. Stain tests this weekend....
Quote by Ippon
It's got enough figuring, use dye, not stain, if going with Black.

I did a stain test, and the grain still comes through fine, and I could sand it a bit. I'll put some clear on it and take a picture.
Black Stain *replacede*
and black stain, sanded back in the center, red over.*replaced*
Sorry the pictures are shit, our camera is dying slowly......

EDIT: Found some proper light, and a good shake repaired the camera.

The red looks well, but it just doesnt feel right for this guitar, so it will most defiantly be in black! I also made the stewmac order up + fretting tools, comes to 470 (320$ for just hardware.) Then another 200 or more for the BK pups. I feel like I may just wire this baby up with the GFS power rails and VEH I have lying around untill then; we'll see how quick I finish this.

@Ippon, I just watched this great vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ygOsqYsOY&feature=channel_video_title and I feel like I may use dyes, if the money situation is A-OK for it.
Can I use linseed or tru-oil over the black stain?
Last edited by nowa90 at May 23, 2011,
I just put in a 300+$ order from Stewmac with fret tools and some buffing equipment, so once I'm done the LP and have another ~400$ Im going to order the pickups and hardware for this bad boy. I'll carve the top when the order comes in though (I'll have the binding router bit and some binding to put on first)
Nice build so far!
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Thanks man! If it wasn't Canada day weekend I'd have these things sooner, but they probably wont come now untill wednesday.
You guys are gonna be happy, or atleast I am!
almost 300$ of tools and hardware came in!

A mock up. Gold wilkonson trem because black wouldnt be in stock for another 1-2 weeks, I think it adds some class, may go with gold tuners.

All routed out

The half thats pretty close to being done

And this side needs some more loving.

And an artsy shot, for being so slow with updates.
is it just me, or did you seriously jack up routing that neck? and the neck pickup.

am i nuts???
I didn't route for the neck, as I didn't buy a nut or make one yet. I just took some material out. I'm pretty sure the pickup is fine....
Another ~3 hours on it today
Mock up

sanded to 80 grit. Inside of the horns will be done when I route the neck pocket.

carved top
Not at all. I'll do it when I have the neck made, but for now its just to get some material out of the way so I could drill the channel for the pickup cables.
oh ok cool . I always thought it would be much harder to make the neck to suit the body than make the body suit the neck (you already have your bridge routed) but i guess theres a million and one ways to do anything. Awesome shape and wood btw
Looking great so far.. Is routing into the spring cavity intentional?
Quote by michaelbot9000
oh ok cool . I always thought it would be much harder to make the neck to suit the body than make the body suit the neck (you already have your bridge routed) but i guess theres a million and one ways to do anything. Awesome shape and wood btw

Well I can then let the fretboard hang over a bit, or make it flush. Im just going to make it work, its hard to explain being so tired.

Quote by matt154
Looking great so far.. Is routing into the spring cavity intentional?

Not really, but I was too lazy to go back to the basement and make a template for it from MDF, so I said screw it and just made it the whole 1" deep. Behind the scenes it doesn't matter, and just takes some weight off of it.
Yeah i can't see it being a problem, you can probably put the ground wire for the bridge through there instead of making an extra hole..
Quote by matt154
Yeah i can't see it being a problem, you can probably put the ground wire for the bridge through there instead of making an extra hole..

basically he did make an extra hole, just a little oversized

looking good though, i thought you were gonna do a crazy design at the base of the neck, thuoght you were experimenting with something tonally i should have made better pup templates for mine... everyones come out so nice and uniform!
Defiantly grab the ones from stewmac, they save your ass a lot of time. They are really thin, so just tape them to some MDF (since they are also not wide enough to clamp and use your router) and transfer it. I always make "wings" for my templates where the clamps can go and won't interfere with the router itself.
It might be just me, or just the angle you shot the picture from - but it doesnt look like (from the placement of your bridge and pickups) that your strings will be correctly aligned over the bridge pickup.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
The bridge has a bit of wiggle room, and will probably line up just fine. When I put that one in for the mock up I couldn't have cared less if it was center
Fair enough, it was just a small observation, but if thats the case, sounds good! Good luck with the build!
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Is that the final bridge you'll be putting in? The bridge route is far too large for it.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Yea it is :\
The template comes with the side for strat bridges, and the other for 2 screw ones. I used the center line for the strat on by accident, and then the shit happaned. I'm just going to glue a chunk of walnut in to fill it. It's where my hand will be while playing, so no real big deal. This is why I never sell my prototypes - you live you learn
Quote by nowa90
you live you learn

Exactly. Either way, well done. Its gonna be a sweet build.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
its actually a vent for when he dive bombs and lets go, it relieves pressure in the trem cavity

i bet once you get it filled you wont even notice it. it almost could pass as a shadow from the bridge or something from a distance
Quote by xadioriderx
its actually a vent for when he dive bombs and lets go, it relieves pressure in the trem cavity
i bet once you get it filled you wont even notice it. it almost could pass as a shadow from the bridge or something from a distance

Because I made the back cavity so deep, the trem actually will get a lot more slack when I do some dive bombs. The bridge is strudy as hell too, defiantly recomend it to everyone.
Thats what my mom said too. Its mostly aesthetic anyways, so it doesn't even matter in the big picture.
Page 1 of 3