Page 1 of 3
I live on Long Island in New York. Recently I've been trying to get involved in the local music scene, as a solo artist and with my band, and I've noticed we seem to be notorious for our large number of pop-punk groups (hardcore being the next most prominent). Needless to say, being in an alternative/indie/whatever you want to call it band, this can limit potential gigs and whatnot, so it's kind of a harder time for us.

I'm just curious since my knowledge is limited to Long Island, what's the music scene like where everyone else is, and how bad/good is it?
pretty much all generic hardcore and metalcore that only care about breakdowns.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

and a bit of indie pop... and my psychedelic band
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
The idiots in my town are into country.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Fucking dire.

The DJ's are shite and only play hardstyle and commercial dance, and all the bands play are covers (shitty ones at that).
In Tallahassee, we too have a disproportionately large number of pop punk and hardcore bands. (I think that's the case everywhere, as they're fairly easy styles to pull off effectively.) We get a lot of classical and jazz as well, as we have a major music college in town (FSU). Then, there's a lot of country, blues, and roots, because it's the South. Plus, there's a good amount of indie rock, because FSU has a LOT of hipsters. It's pretty diverse.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
ska
and not good ska either...
i dont like my towns music scene

it really sucks cause i like playing just abuot everything cept ska
edit im am jealous of ^
Last edited by supersac at May 15, 2011,
Bullshit, that's what it is. All this stupid metalcore and screamo trash. There's no band that plays with feeling, I intend to change that very soon.
Ska, hardcore punk/oi!, and pop-punk. Welcome to Boston...
██████████████████████████████
My town has a music scene of one band and its my friends brothers. Metalcore unfortunately.
you're a stone fox
I live in Manitoba, Canada. and in Winnipeg there's 2 complete opposites, the pop-punk/indie bands, and then there's the metalcore/deathcore frickers who nobody can stand, yet they always get shows. Oh, and some other wicked metal bands, but sadly they're outnumbered.
Hailing from Salo, Finland.
Nothing that I would call music. There are some random small-time bands that play metalcore and one that plays thrash.. that's pretty much it. Then of course my band, which tries to play death metal sort of music, but we haven't done anything big yet and are not planning to do in the close future.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at May 15, 2011,
Yea I'm in a rock band in NJ, and the majority of the scene is pop/punk and hardcore/metalcore. As someone said earlier, both genres can be pulled off effectively with relative ease, particularly hardcore, and these genres are the most common on the majority of music scenes in the US. Hardcore music fans, at least in my own estimation, want two things: screaming and open-riff breakdowns...if you can do that, then you can gain a decent fanbase.
There is none here.

Quote by Ralbert07
Ska, hardcore punk/oi!, and pop-punk. Welcome to Boston...

Trade me?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
If I had to move somewhere for the local music scene I would be off to London and Bristol in a second.
Mainly indie, a few metal (Beyond All Reason and Asking Alexandria), a few punk and ska. Mainly Arctic Monkeys wannabes.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Oh forgot one, ever heard of Greyson Chance, the 13 year-old singer who was on Ellen? Yeah he's from where I live, which is worse then metalcore
you're a stone fox
Quote by theogonia777

Pretty much this, and the occasional pop-punk band. Overall, especially being from a small town, it's very meh. There's a couple good musicians here and there, but they're really scattered and there's very little collaboration between everyone.

To give you a picture, only 7 people signed up for music theory out of a school of ~1000 people. They ended up cutting the class to save moneys.

Ah, well. Hopefully I can move to a place where the music scene is very much alive, it sucks here.
Quote by Duffman123
If I had to move somewhere for the local music scene I would be off to London and Bristol in a second.

Here in Bristol it's all metalcore, deathcore and unnecessarily heavy bands with names/logos that are insanely obscure, is that what you're looking for?
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
A lot of August Burns Red wannabes. Mostly because ABR is from where I live.

Other than that it's just some weak Attack Attack! style metalcore.

There aren't a whole lot of really good local bands here. That wasn't the case 7-8 years ago. There were some really good punk, ska, pop punk, metal, and modern rock bands. They all seem to have disappeared.
Post-Hardcore

and Cuntry
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Axelfox
Mostly Reggae,,Hiphop,r'n'b,pop.

And me being one metal guitarist.

The reggae shows must be fun.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
The reggae shows must be fun.

They suck though.

they only play basic guitar(no tapping or guitar solos or anything) I can't stand anything that doesn't have hard guitar playing in it.
Quote by Brownerz
Here in Bristol it's all metalcore, deathcore and unnecessarily heavy bands with names/logos that are insanely obscure, is that what you're looking for?

Trip Hop, Drum n Bass, Dub/Reggae and Dubstep plx.
Last edited by Duffman123 at May 15, 2011,
Quote by Axelfox
They suck though.

they only play basic guitar(no tapping or guitar solos or anything) I can't stand anything that doesn't have hard guitar playing in it.

You realize that its reggae and they dont do stuff like that? Have you ever heard Bob Marley play a solo with tapping? and actually its not that basic unless you have a good groove.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Axelfox
They suck though.

That doesn't mean they suck. Other than that, all I can say is "that's like, your opinion, man".
Quote by Axelfox
They suck though.

lol
Quote by Axelfox
They suck though.

Wow... Really? Like seriously really?
You have got to be the most close minded person ever.
So you've never chilled on a field with a few tinnys, few mates and reggae/ska blaring from speakers? You're really, really missing out.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Duffman123
Trip Hop, Drum n Bass, Dub/Reggae and Dubstep plx.

lol
Quote by Duffman123
You called?

It's just that dubstep is so shit that's all
Quote by Primus2112
It's just that dubstep is so shit that's all

How is it shit?

Please inform me oh wise one.
Quote by Duffman123
How is it shit?