I'm looking at giving guitar building another shot here soon (my previous attempt ended in tragedy after an unfortunate clamp slip at the worst possible moment), and I cannot find anywhere to buy suitable wood for guitar making. I ordered a body blank and pre made neck online last time, and paid way too much. I've google searched and phone book searched every lumber yard in the area, and I cannot find anyone locally that sells guitar woods.

Do you master craftsmen of UG buy your wood products locally, or do you order them online?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Onlien will always be more expensive. There must be a lumberyard that has pine, maple, mahogany, rosewoods, or some sort of hardwoods. My "local" one has over 50 species, most of them are usuable. You don't have to be confined to a wood species, as long as it can hold a neck and a bridge in it, it can be used.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by nowa90
Onlien will always be more expensive. There must be a lumberyard that has pine, maple, mahogany, rosewoods, or some sort of hardwoods. My "local" one has over 50 species, most of them are usuable. You don't have to be confined to a wood species, as long as it can hold a neck and a bridge in it, it can be used.

damn thats tough to hear cause the closest place only sells wood of the ply type
and the next closest is way too far
All the yards by me only seem to sell lumber you'd use to build a house or something. I'm not building a guitar out of pressure treated pine 2X4's. The cheapest online retailer I've seen still wants $80 for a simple alder body blank full of knots and pinholes. That's incredibly expensive for alder.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Wow, thanks! That site has a good amount of variety and their prices are pretty decent. Could order enough to make an alder blank for less than half what I paid last time.

Do they have minimum order sizes? Is shipping reasonable?
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
I don't believe they have minimum order size, as for shipping it's pretty decent but I'm not sure how it is for international orders, u can email them for a quote, they also have a few shipping options, some more expensive of course
For common woods like Hard Maple and Mahogany and Pine (and maybe Ash depending on location), your best bet is a local lumber yard. For more exotic and figured stuff, your best bet for affordability is still local lumber yards. Unfortunately many lumber yards don't stock the rarer stuff, and in that case you may have to look online.

I've worked with these guys in the past: http://www.woodworkerssource.com/ Their prices are fair and they stock pretty much any wood you'll want.
Last edited by Seref at May 16, 2011,
Guess I'm spoiled... I have 3 lumber yards near me that sell all the good stuff as well as construction lumber... They have some stuff thats $130 /bf! I don't know what it is as I go the heck out of that section before I damaged anything...
If you are looking for a very specific wood then a lumber yard. But, you could look at a thrift shop/garage sale for an old table/dresser/etc... and just hack it up. They are dirt cheap. The table may be the best choice for a thicker piece unless you want to bond some together for the body... It's what my uncle does for all his basses and it works every time.
Quote by swilcox26
If you are looking for a very specific wood then a lumber yard. But, you could look at a thrift shop/garage sale for an old table/dresser/etc... and just hack it up. They are dirt cheap. The table may be the best choice for a thicker piece unless you want to bond some together for the body... It's what my uncle does for all his basses and it works every time.

Thats a good point and the wood should already be stabilized too...
Thanks for the tips guys. I may be moving in a year or so, and I really hope the city I'm going to will have more options for local lumberyards. I'd be set here if I were trying to make a guitar out of plywood, or framing studs.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes