Hey guys, I've noticed while playing solos by myself, I often hit an open D or A string while playing high notes. Does anyone else do this/Is this musically acceptable/whatever?

I'm just curious as to whether its weird to play open "bass" notes like that while soloing by yourself. Normally in a band situation I wouldn't bother, but playing by myself makes the solos sound quite empty...
--- You know I can't have your ghost chips ---
You're playing it as a drone to give more color to your playing. As long as you do it on purpose and not because of flawed technique, it's fine.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Are you playing over anything, like a backing track for example?

It just depends on what kind of accompaniment you have (or don't have). If you're playing a tune written for one guitar, then I don't think there'd be a problem with that. Whereas if there are 2 guitars written into the piece, your solos would most likely conflict with the rhythm passages.

Ultimately, it just depends on the composer and the piece. That's just my opinion.
Danny L. Small
Guitarist/Teacher/Composer

Last edited by Danny L Small at May 15, 2011,
Quote by blitzbeast
Is this musically acceptable/whatever?

does it sound good?

If No, then try again

If Yes, then it is acceptable.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
if you don't do it on purpose, then your technique is not good enough.

if it's intentional, go for it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by krypticguitar87
does it sound good?

If No, then try again

If Yes, then it is acceptable.

Quote by AeolianWolf
if you don't do it on purpose, then your technique is not good enough.

if it's intentional, go for it.

Yes a combination of these two answers. Open strings are just notes...like any other note on the fretboard. If you play these meh. If you play them accidentally work on your technique.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yes.

(I didnt actually read any of the posts, just scrolled down to the quick reply as fast as possible.)
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by blitzbeast
Hey guys, I've noticed while playing solos by myself, I often hit an open D or A string while playing high notes. Does anyone else do this/Is this musically acceptable/whatever?

I'm just curious as to whether its weird to play open "bass" notes like that while soloing by yourself. Normally in a band situation I wouldn't bother, but playing by myself makes the solos sound quite empty...

Do you want an A note or a D note in your solo? If so it's fine.

Do you not actually know whether you want an A or D note in your solo? In which case it's not so fine.

Do you know if an A or D note actually fits in your solo? Again, probably not so fine.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Sweet guys, I'm doing it more to add colour to the solo's, so judging from the responses, its seems to be ok. Thanks everyone
--- You know I can't have your ghost chips ---