Hey I bought a strat the other day that the seller said he upgraded with Texas Specials. He also said he changed the electronics to CTS pots and a CRL switch. I'm not really familiar with these parts but anyway, I noticed there's no hum coming from my single coils, which leads me to worry they aren't Texas Specials. They sound pretty good to me but I don't normally play strats so I don't know for sure. I pulled up the pickguard to take a quick glance at the pickups without taking them out and there are no markings on the back (at least on the neck pickup) but the wires look like the wires used on all the texas specials I've seen for sale (like they're covered in tweed rather than rubber). Is there anyway to verify what they are if I take them out next time I change my strings?
Most pickups I've seen don't have any markings on them to indicate what they are except for maybe a sticker. If those had a sticker and they've fallen off then there probably isn't any way to tell. I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask someone who's really familiar with the sound of those pickups.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Quote by YngwieLi
Most pickups I've seen don't have any markings on them to indicate what they are except for maybe a sticker. If those had a sticker and they've fallen off then there probably isn't any way to tell. I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask someone who's really familiar with the sound of those pickups.

Well I know my dimarzios and the stuff that came stock in my Ibanezs all had serial numbers on them but these have absolutely nothing. Pretty rediculous considering there are 3 of them and they'd be easy to mix up even in terms of bridge/mid/neck positions
If they sound good and there's no hum what exactly is the problem?

That being said, it's much more likely they are Texas Specials, and the body cavity was properly shielded when the previous owner swapped the pickups.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I can't say I've ever heard someone complain about a lack of hum. If they sound good does it matter what they are?
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
i'm pretty sure fender doesn't actually go through the trouble of making 3 different pickups for each position on the strat.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
i'm pretty sure fender doesn't actually go through the trouble of making 3 different pickups for each position on the strat.

Actually, they do. They wind the bridge pickups hotter than the other two in almost every set, the middle is Reverse Wound, and the neck pick is... um... different from those two for those reasons. It however it is true that they originally used the same pickups in each position, but they've changed it since the 50s.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I'd send pics to Fender and ask them. Or at least call them and ask what to look for. Those CTS pots are a very good brand name in pots. I'm a luthier and that's all I use.

....and yeah....count your blessings....no hum. Are the pickguard and pickup cavities shielded and grounded? That can go a long ways explaining why they are so quiet.
I read Emerson on the can. A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds...true...but a consistent reading of Emerson has its uses nevertheless.
Last edited by Zlurgh at May 15, 2011,
Don't get me wrong, I don't want hum. I'm just concerned that searching "noiseless texas special" or something along those lines doesn't bring up a single case of texas specials not humming. As for why I care what they are even if they sound good is a) I don't want to get ripped off by someone lying to me, b) I want to know what's in my guitar. I'll check in more detail next time I change strings since I can pull out the electronics then. I have to set this thing up properly anyway.