Hi guys, I've had a Mexican strat for the last couple of years but i'm looking to get into something new. I have an eclectic playing taste so I'm looking to see which one (Gibson sg or a prs) is more versitable and is good with playing mainly indie/ experiemental/ pop-punk type music but can also do metal/ hardcore (good with triplets etc.)

To give you a little taste, like this:
August burns red- meddler
Minus the bear
I may be biased but........ PRS !!!!
Custom 24 very versatile.
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
Definitely the PRS.

What amp do you currently have? Since that will have a dramatic effect on the sound you are trying to achieve.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
DEF the prs.

Like what the guy said above Custom 24 is the ultimate.
Because we seperate... it ripples our reflections.
.snoitcelfer ruo selppir ti...etarepes ew esuaceB
PRS for versatility. Although the gibsons have a sound all their own...
I have a Faded SG, and the build quality is fantastic. It's fun as hell to play, and I love the sound of it. I've played a few PRSs, but personally I'd stick with the SG. I can get some great tones out of it, from the fatness of the neck pup to the crisp highs of the bridge. Play them both, and see what you like. I'm more of a heavy sounding guy, the likes of Queens of the Stone Age, so see what fits you.
I suggest you try them both back to back through your gear and choose whichever you prefer.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
I actually just sold my amp but I'm probably going to get a line 6. What type of prs would you guys recommend? I'm shooting for under a grand
PRS, you'll be glad in the end. It works for metal (I've got mine in c# standard to play BTBAM) and it works SO DAMN WELL for blues, jazz, rock...trust me, you will not regret a PRS.

On a side note for Gibson, you might wanna check out an LP Studio, those are some seriously well made and GREAT sounding rock/metal guitars. If you're playing Mastodon type metal, Gibson might be the way to go
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Last edited by boratian at May 15, 2011,
Quote by boratian
PRS, you'll be glad in the end. It works for metal (I've got mine in c# standard to play BTBAM) and it works SO DAMN WELL for blues, jazz, rock...trust me, you will not regret a PRS.

On a side note for Gibson, you might wanna check out an LP Studio, those are some seriously well made and GREAT sounding rock/metal guitars. If you're playing Mastodon type metal, Gibson might be the way to go

Perfect because BTBAM is EXACTLY the style i'm looking for, especially their more experimental/ atmospheric side as well as blending in heavier riffs and whatnot
So yourself a favor and dont get a Line 6...jus dont..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by negrodamus
I actually just sold my amp but I'm probably going to get a line 6. What type of prs would you guys recommend? I'm shooting for under a grand

To be honest, I recommend that you invest more into an amp rather than a guitar.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Brand fanboyism at its finest (read: worst) in this thread....

Guys, TS named one line of Gibson guitars against a brand of guitars. A Gibson SG would be better for him than a PRS McCarty Soapbar.

None of you have asked him what his budget is, how much he wants to spend on his amp, etc. C'mon.... PRS guitars tend to be far more expensive than SGs.

TS, what's your budget? Do you gig? What are you using this guitar for (not asking about genre)? Because honestly, to sound like him, Ibanez and/or PRS are your best bet. But since he uses Mesa Boogies almost exclusively, unless you have enough money for that and a PRS, Ibanez and Mesa Boogie are definitely better for achieving that sound than PRS and a shitty Line 6. Remember, amp constitues much more of your tone than the guitar.
Quote by trueamerican

PRS is not a guitar, it's a brand.

Even if so, his comparison is false aswell.
You get the point i suppose
Quote by trueamerican
Brand fanboyism at its finest (read: worst) in this thread....

Guys, TS named one line of Gibson guitars against a brand of guitars. A Gibson SG would be better for him than a PRS McCarty Soapbar.

None of you have asked him what his budget is, how much he wants to spend on his amp, etc. C'mon.... PRS guitars tend to be far more expensive than SGs.

TS, what's your budget? Do you gig? What are you using this guitar for (not asking about genre)? Because honestly, to sound like him, Ibanez and/or PRS are your best bet. But since he uses Mesa Boogies almost exclusively, unless you have enough money for that and a PRS, Ibanez and Mesa Boogie are definitely better for achieving that sound than PRS and a shitty Line 6. Remember, amp constitues much more of your tone than the guitar.

Not all Line 6 amps are shitty. The TS hasn't actually said he's getting a Spider. He could just want versatility and so is going for a high-end Line 6.

Aside from that point however, I agree with your questions - we need to know budget, location, style, gigging etc.?
Adam
The SG is mostly rock-and-roll oriented, but can be used for other things as well.
The PRS, assuming a Custom 24 (SE or standard) is meant, will sound a little more versatile, but still mostly oriented toward one thing - in this case, metal.

Really it's about preference and budget - a Custom 24 (non-SE) is going to cost two to three times as much as a Gibson SG Standard. The SE version of the Custom 24, which is Japan-made I think, will set you back slightly less than a Gibson SG Special Heritage.

PS. Yes, Line 6 Spider amps are crap. The fact that he's considering 2 quite expensive guitars implies he's not going to look at those, though.
Listen to a Line 6 Vetta and then come back.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 16, 2011,
Quote by negrodamus
Perfect because BTBAM is EXACTLY the style i'm looking for, especially their more experimental/ atmospheric side as well as blending in heavier riffs and whatnot

As everyone else said, PRS is a brand so to cut to the chase, you'll want to be looking at either a PRS Custom 22 or 24 depending on your preference. There's SE models, Student Edition (AKA cheaper) and standard ones, which can run you $2000-$3000
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
I suggest you try them both back to back through your gear and choose whichever you prefer.

this is the only way to choose a guitar properly. otherwise you really don't know what you're getting until you've got it, and it's a bit of a gamble.

although i must say, PRS under a grand?

if you were comparing more high end guitars i'd definitely say you'll get better quality from PRS (assuming quality is not dependant on the particular model) but in the lower price ranges, you've only really got the PRS SE series which are nice, but can't really stand up to a gibson, quality-wise.

but it's up to you - you try some guitars and decide which you like best for yourself - that's the only way you can possibly know you're getting the best guitar for you. and remember, personal preference doesn't necessarily take quality into account.

everyone else is just going to shout out which they'd go for, which means nothing to you.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by AXEFAN88
I may be biased but........ PRS !!!!
Custom 24 very versatile.

THIS 110%.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
I'd try them both.

Thing with PRS is they're versatile to do anything but only to an average level, whereas the SG is more skewed, with it being amazing for stuff like rock, but less adequate for other styles.

The best thing to do is try both out.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Try them both and see what feels right, then swap in a set of pickups suited for your style if you don't like the stock sound. Both guitars feel very different. Get what feels comfortable in your hands. I personally love PRS but perhaps the SG will fit you better. Both I think are very versatile and able to fit the sound you're looking for.
Definitely trying to aim for under a grand, and metal isn't my main genre however i'd like to be able to play it if need be. Mainly soloing in a clean fashion (no distortion) and good with whammy's and whatnot
Wow so much fail here.

Finding a good prs CE, not an SE, a CE would be up there in quality with the Gibson. And a lot more versatile.

But it really comes down to feel.

Neck radii differ, scale length a little but not much.

I'd say play a bunch and see which one picks you.

PRS CE guitars are discontinued, but can be found used all over, and sell for $900-1100 regularly.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
How about a PRS Mira? That might be right up your alley. You can get one for about the same as an SG Standard. SO much better built than lower-end PRS models (which aren't BAD but could be a lot better). They can do pretty much anything (including hardcore) but are particularly excellent for the indie/experimental stuff. They have a less "honk-y" sound than the SGs do in my experience.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by Blompcube
this is the only way to choose a guitar properly. otherwise you really don't know what you're getting until you've got it, and it's a bit of a gamble.

although i must say, PRS under a grand?

if you were comparing more high end guitars i'd definitely say you'll get better quality from PRS (assuming quality is not dependant on the particular model) but in the lower price ranges, you've only really got the PRS SE series which are nice, but can't really stand up to a gibson, quality-wise.

but it's up to you - you try some guitars and decide which you like best for yourself - that's the only way you can possibly know you're getting the best guitar for you. and remember, personal preference doesn't necessarily take quality into account.

everyone else is just going to shout out which they'd go for, which means nothing to you.

It's more likely than you would think, Flame topped CE models regularly hang around the £800 mark and the Customs are usually just above or below the £1000 mark.

My CE24 only cost me £670.
Quote by PsiGuy60
The PRS, assuming a Custom 24 (SE or standard) is meant, will sound a little more versatile, but still mostly oriented toward one thing - in this case, metal.

Stopped reading here

TS, a CE is an absolutely amazing guitar, I love mine absolutely. SG's are great too but they're less versatile and I don't feel particularly safe playing them (poor balance, neck joint etc)
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Last edited by Dopey_Trout at May 17, 2011,
Add another to the resounding cheer for PRS.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Quote by negrodamus

Missed this earlier but i believe that both Paul's and Dustie's PRSes have had the pickups switched to D-Activators.
Quote by Terrible-Lie
It's more likely than you would think, Flame topped CE models regularly hang around the £800 mark and the Customs are usually just above or below the £1000 mark.

My CE24 only cost me £670.

yeah, good point, though i assume he means a grand in US dollars
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at May 17, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube
yeah, good point, though i assume he means a grand in US dollars

There are still a nice few on eBay for the $1200/$1300 mark, if he lucky he could snag a nice maple topped CE for around $1100.
^ good call on the mira up there.

or a used starla, that's another option if you want a set neck, mahogany body type. plus it haz teh coil tapz for the versatility.

i still think you need to try them though. some people love the flatter radius of the gibsons. some people don't notice a difference, etc.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
PRS. between the burried and me. 'nuff said.
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 Active
Schecter Damien w/ Seymour Duncan Distortions
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Visual Sound Double Trouble
Line 6 M-5