Not sure what you are asking. If I understand, you mean rack gear, yes? If so, they are just units that mount in a 19" rack. If your question encompasses more than that, please explain. This is a forum, not an SMS message. You don't have to condense everything into a 2 second soundbyte, we aren't all suffering from ADHD - elucidate.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Not sure what you are asking. If I understand, you mean rack gear, yes? If so, they are just units that mount in a 19" rack. If your question encompasses more than that, please explain. This is a forum, not an SMS message. You don't have to condense everything into a 2 second soundbyte, we aren't all suffering from ADHD - elucidate.

I guess the whole concept of what a rack mount is. Like it's purpose, what it actually is, etc. vs a pedal board or something. Pedal boards are about as much as I know about effects...=P I don't use them much.
There are a few reasons people go for rack gear.
1. Generally better quality. They don't have to try to jam everything into a tiny box.
2. Convenience. You can have everything in one unit. Just plug it in and start playing.
3. MIDI. A lot of rack gear is MIDI compatible so you can have everything linked. Hit one switch and everything changes for you.
4. Security. Pedals get stolen all the time because it's easy to do. Good luck trying to fit a rack under your coat.

Apart from my guitars, this is all I have to take to a gig. The only pedal I use is a Morley wah, everything is done in the rack. I get all the versatility of a modelling amp but all the dynamics and quality of a good tube amp.

Edit: And just look at the size of the tuner. You can see it from anywhere on stage. Kills a pedal tuner.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 15, 2011,
Quote by epiphoneLP777
I guess the whole concept of what a rack mount is. Like it's purpose, what it actually is, etc. vs a pedal board or something. Pedal boards are about as much as I know about effects...=P I don't use them much.

They sit on a rack instead of the floor.
Pretty much what Cath said..

A rack is nice because you can have a fairly complicated setup that is already "set up" in your rack, you just bring the rack and plug it in.

You can tap dance on your pedal board or use a midi controller that controls whatever is in your rack to do whatever you set it up to do.
/rig