But can you get a good (or even decent) sound out of a bass guitar playing through a guitar head+amp?

My gf was interested in playing bass (hot, I know ) and I was thinking if she didnt follow through with it, I could take it off her hands. Now, could I still get the regular bass sound out of a guitar amp?

...As I post this I realize that she would have to get a bass amp herself to play her bass, but my question still stands.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Your gonna bust your amp.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
well i guess you could raise the bass and some mids

but i wouldnt play it too loud as the speaker might get screwed up

now if you had a bass cab...that might sound better...
Last edited by supersac at May 15, 2011,
Coming from experience, it can be done, and it wont sound completely shitty. BUT, you probably don't want to do it because you risk damaging your speakers/equipment. If you have a beater amp you don't care about, go for it. i used to play bass through an MG30dfx until i actually got a real bass amp.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
I think it depends a lot on both the head and the speakers. I know that a lot of ye olde Sunn tube amps worked equally well for both guitar and bass. I'm not sure about the speakers they were generally run with or the likelihood that you'll have a Sunn amp or anything that works in a similar way.

Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
So usually bass guitar into guitar head + cab = explosion.

Essentially.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
if you happen to just have a fender bassman laying around, you're solid.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
I don't think you'd be looking at an ampsplosion but as above you do risk damage to your speakers. I've seen plenty of cases of people using guitar amps for bass and vice versa.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
In my experience, if it is a valve combo it sounds delicious. It was a fender P through a fender combo, can't remember which though, almost certainly wasn't a bassman.
What is mind? no matter. What is matter? Never mind.