I would like to think that I am decent at guitar. I can sweep pretty good, I can play some pretty difficult songs, but other than that, I really do not know any foundations.

I mean, I can play a lot of different chords stuff, and I can also decently improvise, but really I have no solid knowledge of what is going on when I play.

I feel that I must learn what is typically taught to guitarists so I can have the knowledge to create a good sounding song. I was thinking of taking lessons but they are quite expensive and I would prefer an online or otherwise free method of learning.

What can I do from this point on?

Thanks
Quote by MuffinMan
I hope for a day when circumcised and uncircumcised penises can live together in harmony!

Quote by Kensai
Cowslayer, I recognize you as the Emperor of the universe. I applaud you in your awesomeness.
It's good you can sweep. That separates good guitarists from bad since you need actual coordination to do that.

Now just listen to what you feel and make it come out on the guitar. Not too hard. Go get dumped or something, then write in D minor.
As is the typical answer that most people give, you can try these resources right away:
http://www.justinguitar.com/
http://www.youtube.com/
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/

But don't stop there. Figure out what your goals are as a player technically, theory-wise and as a composer. Then research specific topics and study them. Just make small, but very focused steps forward every day.
Danny L. Small
Guitarist/Teacher/Composer

How is your theoretical knowledge? IE How scales are formed, how to form chords/arpeggios from a scale etc
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by ElitiusMaxim
It's good you can sweep. That separates good guitarists from bad since you need actual coordination to do that.

Now just listen to what you feel and make it come out on the guitar. Not too hard. Go get dumped or something, then write in D minor.

sorry but I have to point this out, there is way more to guitar than being able to sweep, and having good articulation does not make you a good guitarist, it makes you an articulate guitarist, but it doesn't make you a good guitarist. incase you forgot the guitar is a musical instrument, so being musical is kind of a bigger requirement than being articulate.

seriously more of the guitarists that I personally know, that can't or don't choose to sweep are much better than the few guitarists that I know who can sweep. sorry sweeping is not the end all be all of guitars.

TS: learn some theory:

musictheory.net is a great site for theory.

also begin listening to songs, and just pay attention to what is going on in the music itself.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
incase you forgot the guitar is a musical instrument, so being musical is kind of a bigger requirement than being articulate.

I was going to say the same but I had a similar dispute with that guy in another thread and decided to just ignore him.

Also +1 to learning theory and putting it into the context of songs, it seems that TS wants to understand everything better and its the best way. If getting a teacher is a possibility then go for it, it will be better than online lessons.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by ElitiusMaxim

oh that's a good one, tell us another

TS, post an mp3 to your profile, or even better link to a YouTube video - there's no way people can know how good you are based on a an forum post. And if they don't know how good you are they can't tell you the best way to improve.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by krypticguitar87
sorry but I have to point this out, there is way more to guitar than being able to sweep, and having good articulation does not make you a good guitarist, it makes you an articulate guitarist, but it doesn't make you a good guitarist. incase you forgot the guitar is a musical instrument, so being musical is kind of a bigger requirement than being articulate.

seriously more of the guitarists that I personally know, that can't or don't choose to sweep are much better than the few guitarists that I know who can sweep. sorry sweeping is not the end all be all of guitars.

TS: learn some theory:

musictheory.net is a great site for theory.

also begin listening to songs, and just pay attention to what is going on in the music itself.

Quote by steven seagull

oh that's a good one, tell us another

Find me a guitarist who has perfect clean sweep technique but can't play anything good.
You see, to get good at advanced techniques, you have to have mastered all the easy techniques first. If you suck at anything like doing scales, vibratos...etc, you can't do sweeping cleanly. And I mean clean, like Jeff Loomis clean. Not half this crap on youtube.

The only way someone can possibly negate what I've said is if they only practice sweeping. But that doesn't end well because anyone who JUST does sweeping ends up becoming one of those crap youtube kiddies who can only do a 3 string sweep and has zero vibrato. They don't love guitar enough to have built a good foundation.

It's like science. You can only get good at the hard stuff if you truly understand the easy stuff flawlessly. Therefore, if you have clean sweeps and can do tapping with your right hand and left hand like Broderick, you are guaranteed to know the guitar solid enough to have all your other techniques down.

So prove me wrong. Find me someone who can sweep cleanly (and I mean razor sharp clean) who plays everything else really wrong and badly.
Proof is all that is required.
Last edited by ElitiusMaxim at May 16, 2011,
there's nothing to prove.

If you can sweep then you can most likely play other things well, but not being able to sweep doesn't mean you can't play well - after all it's a niche technique that many guitarists won't ever bother with.

I agree 100% with your quote that you can only get good at the hard stuff if you truly understand the easy stuff flawlessly - I bang on about that myself all the time. But just because someone hasn't bothered with the harder stuff doesn't mean their technique can't be flawless for the material they choose to play - it's a backwards argument.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ElitiusMaxim
Find me a guitarist who has perfect clean sweep technique but can't play anything good.
You see, to get good at advanced techniques, you have to have mastered all the easy techniques first. If you suck at anything like doing scales, vibratos...etc, you can't do sweeping cleanly. And I mean clean, like Jeff Loomis clean. Not half this crap on youtube.

The only way someone can possibly negate what I've said is if they only practice sweeping. But that doesn't end well because anyone who JUST does sweeping ends up becoming one of those crap youtube kiddies who can only do a 3 string sweep and has zero vibrato. They don't love guitar enough to have built a good foundation.

It's like science. You can only get good at the hard stuff if you truly understand the easy stuff flawlessly. Therefore, if you have clean sweeps and can do tapping with your right hand and left hand like Broderick, you are guaranteed to know the guitar solid enough to have all your other techniques down.

So prove me wrong. Find me someone who can sweep cleanly (and I mean razor sharp clean) who plays everything else really wrong and badly.
Proof is all that is required.

I'm not saying that they can't play other techniques, but unfortunately thechnique is only like 35% of playing guitar. the other 65% is musical knowledge and most of the guitarists around here that can sweep suck at phrasing, and writing anything slow. and why is that? it's because they all decide exactly what you say that "if I can sweep perfectly then I'll be a great guitarist" and they only focus on perfect technique and forget to pay attention to everything else. yeah they are great at copying and playing fast but they almost all suck at playing music and sorry but the music is the most important part of playing a musical instrument.

guitar is a musical instrument, made to make music not play as perfectly as possible. would you say that hendrix was a bad guitarist? no you wouldn't and I don't think I ever heard him sweep.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.