I went to the guitar shop today and asked for some 7 string guitar strings and the guy at the shop said I should try .010 .013 .017 .030 .042 .052 .060
which is light top/heavy bottom with an added string for the B string

has anyone tried it like this?

and would the B string be a big enough step up from the E string? (tone wise)
Probably depend on the scale length of the guitar. I'm using 10 - 54s or 56s or something on a 25.5" 7 string and I like it a lot but the strings are pretty loose so probably not for everyone. If you're on a 25.5" I reckon a 60 would probably be reasonably tight in B but still have enough slack for bends and stuff. But I can't guarantee it as I've only used the 54/56 (I forget what it is exactly )
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Im very interested in this too, I have heard people suggesting up to 70's for b standard and drop A, but I havent had any experience myself.

From what I read I was thinking .068 for b standard or drop A
my guitar is 26.5" scale
My Gear:

BC Rich Metal Master
Schecter Omen Extreme 7
Coffin Case Blood drive
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Marshall DSL 401
I play a 72 on the B. I play drop F# though. It's a little loose but not terrible by any means. Other than that though it's all heavy. It's 13-17-22-42-56-65-72.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Tone wise it is perfectly fine. That 6 will be able to keep you till G#. Then it'll get quite loose.

The gauges on a 7's B (scales 25.5-27) would be fine with 56-70 depending on your preference.

for Drop/Standard A go with 60-74, again choose to preference.

What tone are trying to get?

Quote by xkreedx
I play a 72 on the B. I play drop F# though. It's a little loose but not terrible by any means. Other than that though it's all heavy. It's 13-17-22-42-56-65-72.

It's no longer a B then though, is it?
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at May 16, 2011,
With the 52 at E, im guessing you like the lower strings to be a little bit tighter, i reckon a 64/66 would balance a little bit better in regards to the overall tension. I've found that it is just a case of experimentation with the gauges, finding out what you like really. A 11-56+72 set works for what i need in B standard, but everyone has their preferences.
Quote by Deadlock Riff

I'm kinda after a korn sound but at the same time when I do cleans I wanna be able to notice they are clean so they won't be to heavy or to soft they will be in the middle. I also don't want the strings to be to loose when I do drop tune but still wanna be able to bend them in standard tuning
My Gear:

BC Rich Metal Master
Schecter Omen Extreme 7
Coffin Case Blood drive
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Marshall DSL 401
26.5" scale? 12-68 in standard tuning. Oh you want to bend them? Are you telling me not everyone can bend a 12 on a baritone scale like me? :O
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by Deadlock Riff
Tone wise it is perfectly fine. That 6 will be able to keep you till G#. Then it'll get quite loose.

The gauges on a 7's B (scales 25.5-27) would be fine with 56-70 depending on your preference.

for Drop/Standard A go with 60-74, again choose to preference.

It's no longer a B then though, is it?

Lol you know what I meant.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans