So pit i'm in the market for new phones and i've come to the conclusion that as well as getting kick as tones, i really want some noise reduction.

I know that the sound isolatinon with earbuds is better than noise cancelling on headphones but headphones are more comfortable and tend to sound better.

What do you guys think? And do you have any recommendations?

Budget is about $250 (aus dollars but for all intents and purposes think of it as american dollars)
Last edited by spitonastranger at May 16, 2011,
250 what? If it's for home use I'd defenately go for some sennheiser headphones. Earbuds have no decent sound at all

I have the sennheiser pro HD 280, cost me about 150 euros
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
I don't think he means earbuds but rather in-ears. They're quite different. Earbuds are like the shit that sits just barely in your ear like what comes with ipods or other mp3 players. In-ears actually go deeper into your ear and do provide good sound isolation.

It would help to know what kind of music you'll be listening to. For in-ears under $250b I would get maybe the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's, or a pair of used Westone 3's. I had the TF10's for a while and really loved them, they have really deeply scooped mids but the detail is good. The Westone's will be a bit more neutral.

For over the ear headphones I'd recommend maybe Grado 225i. Grado's are well known for being very rock-type headbanging headphones. For a more neutral headphone I recommend the AKG K701/702. I have the 702 and love it. You could also probably find the Sennheiser 600 or 650 for around your price range and are good rock/metal headphones.

Edit: By the way the AKG's are open back headphones so they don't provide much of any isolation. I believe but the sennheisers I mentioned are also open back.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Last edited by YngwieLi at May 16, 2011,
Headphones all the way!!

senhnheisers tend do be best value for money untill you start getting into pro studio headphones (+$500)
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Grados also leak like a rusty pipe that's been smashed in. Not great for the commute. And are they found at $250 AUS? They retail at £220 in the UK.

Yea Grado's are also open back and provide almost no isolation. But yea they're around $200US. I don't know what it'd be like in Aus.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR225i-Headphones/dp/B0006GCCN6
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
I have the Sony MDR-XB500s right now. They're about 50 dollars now (about 80 when I got them). They are far and away much better than anything even close to their price range. The sound quality is better than any $250 set of headphones I've tried (even Sennheisers).

Plus, they're the most ridiculously comfortable headphones you will ever try. They're like pillows on your ears.

I'd buy them and save the rest of the money for your next guitar purchase.
I hate in-ear earphones. Shit hurts, and they always fall out.

Shure. That is all. Although, I'd whole-heartedly reccomend getting actual headphones as they're so much better quality.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Cool guys thanks.
To be honest i prefer headphones as well but i travel a bit (also going on a few long plane trips soon) so my concern is that i wont be able to hear anything with regular headphones, especially if they're open back.

Do closed back headphones block out any noise?
250?

I've never bought a pair of heaphones for over 15€..
Am i missing out on something here?
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Krieger91
250?

I've never bought a pair of heaphones for over 15€..
Am i missing out on something here?

Yeah you are. Whatafreak.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yes you are. But then again it's my job to tell people that they are and then sell them expensive things.

An honest man.

Tell me, if I was in the market for a nice set of earbuds, limit ~$200, what should I look at? I'm looking for good isolation and sound (obviously). I'm partial to Klipsch because they have a good warranty but I'd rather get something reliable enough to where it doesn't need a warranty.

I don't need a set of regular headphones, I have some Sennheiser HD650s for home use.
I hate earbuds... just the fact of something that deep in my ears scares me. I would just go out and try a bunch of things out at a store, see which one suits me best. I think you have more than enough money to buy a good pair of headphones or earbuds.
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Klipsch are reliable. In hifi, look at warranties more as 'We're more than happy with this product. Piss off, you have quality and we have your money.'

Unfortunately, models and prices don't often transfer well between currencies, j-man. Look for AKG, Klipsch, Grado and Audio-Technica in your budget.
For headphones, I almost always go for open back ones. The sound isn't as stifled as a closed one. Yes, that means that it is used only for home listening. When I go out, I use in ears (RE0).

^There's a UE600 at $150
I don't mind earbuds. Also am I the only one here who buys 20 € earbuds? After all, they're the N1 lost item after picks for me, so it seems crazy to buy anything above 30€. But I am considering buying some headphones so I can turn up my amp a bit when I'm playing at night

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
I don't mind earbuds. Also am I the only one here who buys 20 € earbuds? After all, they're the N1 lost item after picks for me, so it seems crazy to buy anything above 30€. But I am considering buying some headphones so I can turn up my amp a bit when I'm playing at night

My headphones for general wandering retail at $300. At that price, they tend to be quite low on the 'stuff to lose' list
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Klipsch are reliable. In hifi, look at warranties more as 'We're more than happy with this product. Piss off, you have quality and we have your money.'

Unfortunately, models and prices don't often transfer well between currencies, j-man. Look for AKG, Klipsch, Grado and Audio-Technica in your budget.

I do love Klipsch, but I had an S4 burn out in less than a year, which is why I look for warranties.

But I definitely would buy them again. I'd just keep the receipt this time, just in case, you know?

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep those brands in mind when I'm looking around.
Headphones

Pros:
They're a lot better

Cons:
If you're sitting in class wearing them around your neck, and for some reason I see you, I may just kick you for being douchey.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by jetfuel495
I do love Klipsch, but I had an S4 burn out in less than a year, which is why I look for warranties.

But I definitely would buy them again. I'd just keep the receipt this time, just in case, you know?

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep those brands in mind when I'm looking around.

If you up your budget by half though, audition the B+W P5s. Not that I own them AND some of their speakers AND I stock them at the shop... Honest!

But no... the company that kitted out Abbey Road and Skywalker Sounds obviously know what they're doing. The phones aren't for everyone, but if they are for you- phenomenal.
I have Sennheiser HD595. The quality is impeccable. Listening to music on these things is like listening to heaven (unless it's overcompressed to hell like every song ever) but it leaks more than an old senile nun with a lazy sphincter.
Quote by trueamerican
I have the Sony MDR-XB500s right now. They're about 50 dollars now (about 80 when I got them). They are far and away much better than anything even close to their price range. The sound quality is better than any $250 set of headphones I've tried (even Sennheisers).

Plus, they're the most ridiculously comfortable headphones you will ever try. They're like pillows on your ears.

I'd buy them and save the rest of the money for your next guitar purchase.

I also have the XB500s and don't get me wrong, they're good but they're certainly not better than my Sennheiser PXC 350 or most Senn headphones I've tried. The Sony's sound pretty good but they're really bass heavy (as advertised). The bass is pretty clean and tight although it can be mudd. Where they start to disappoint are the mids and the highs which are often drowned far into the background left swimming in a sea of bass.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
I also have the XB500s and don't get me wrong, they're good but they're certainly not better than my Sennheiser PXC 350 or most Senn headphones I've tried. The Sony's sound pretty good but they're really bass heavy (as advertised). The bass is pretty clean and tight although it can be mudd. Where they start to disappoint are the mids and the highs which are often drowned far into the background left swimming in a sea of bass.

There's no such thing as too much bass. And I use the XB700's like a boss.

@TS: wat? Earbuds being better than headphones?
pinga
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you up your budget by half though, audition the B+W P5s. Not that I own them AND some of their speakers AND I stock them at the shop... Honest!

But no... the company that kitted out Abbey Road and Skywalker Sounds obviously know what they're doing. The phones aren't for everyone, but if they are for you- phenomenal.

They do look interesting, unfortunately, I'm looking for buds specifically for commutes and travel. Something that I can roll up into my pocket when I'm not using.

Also, I doubt they'd be sold at the store my friend works at, he's getting me like 50% off on whatever I want
earbuds for on the go, headphones for serious listening. I would split the money and get a half decent set of earbuds (Sennheiser CX300-II or similar) and spend the rest on headphones. There's a trend of diminishing returns with sound quality to price on headphones, so $200 headphones won't be much worse than $250 ones.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Cb4rabid
There's no such thing as too much bass. And I use the XB700's like a boss.

@TS: wat? Earbuds being better than headphones?

The XB700's do have too much bass, although with the genres I listen to I like that. They are usually horrible when listening to rock or metal due to recessed mids and over powering bass and their soundstage is shite. But they do what I want them to do
Quote by Duffman123
The XB700's do have too much bass, although with the genres I listen to I like that. They are usually horrible when listening to rock or metal due to recessed mids and over powering bass and their soundstage is shite. But they do what I want them to do

This is a term I am not familiar with.
pinga