Page 1 of 2
I am sometimes derided by a certain group of my friends by listening to so-called "Dad Rock".

I am referring to supposedly glum, middle-of-the-road, inoffensive bands such as Coldplay, Stereophonics, Doves, Travis, Starsailor and, to a lesser extent, some Radiohead and Elbow. I have a pretty eclectic taste in music, but love these bands.

I remember my first albums, aged about 10, were Travis - The Invisible Band, and Stereophonics - Just Enough Education To Perform.

Anyway, who else is a supporter of "Dad Rock"?

Are you ever mocked for having a certain taste in music?

P.S. I am not saying it matters what people say about it (it doesn't; I will listen to whatever I want regardless).
That's not Dad Rock; Whitesnake is Dad Rock
UG'S SEXIEST TRANNY 2010

UG'S 3rd HOTTEST CROSSDRESSER 2011
Stereophonics is an awesome band.

"I like them because they play their own instruments".

EDIT:

My Dad likes amazing music. He got me into Zeppelin, John Martyn, Pink Floyd, Jeff Healey, Jimi Hendrix and loads more.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at May 16, 2011,
Some of those bands are more appropriate to be called "Mom Rock."
Yea that's right, I want something to explode

I've been deaf, now I want noise

LOUD LOVE
"What do you see when you look at me, Manny? I'll tell you what. You see me and you think to yourself, "Hey! There's Evan. He's a young guy. He listens to the Stereophonics, he rides a scooter - lets see how far I can push him!"
dad rock- bands that were cool in the late 80's that today's parents consider to be "cool" out of nostalgia.
wrong Dad rock bands are like 'C.C.R' or 'bufflao springfield' n crap like my dad listens to
Quote by themetalbucket
Some of those bands are more appropriate to be called "Mom Rock."

This.
Quote by red157
Getting killed is an occupational hazard when you're an armed robber.

Quote by Random88
Drunk birds falling over? Sounds like Glasgow

'The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.'

- Jimi Hendrix
Dad Rock is Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, etc based on how I've seen the label thrown around. It isn't a negative to me.
You guys don't know Dad Rock at all.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by captaincrunk
No one who listens to those bands gets laid, so how can it be Dad Rock?

Then again, no-one who's ever successfully spouted sexcrement up a girl (leading to a child being shot out of the same orifice) has ever had sex again. Fact.
That's not Dad Rock at all. Dad Rock is things like Eric Clapton, Cream, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who, believe it or not.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

how are those bands dad rock. I always though dad rock was hair metal bands, the bands you list I consider to be soft rock.
well, why not ask your dad what he listens to? Dad rock to me, sounds like music my dad listened to when he was young. shit, some of those bands were awesome (Zeppelin, GNR, Metallica, Sabbath)
I Starsailor. One of my all time fav bands. Def not dad rock.

Coldplay definitely is though.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I think we have different interpretations of the term "Dad Rock".

I was referring to my contemporary bands that are releasing albums today, that are often to referred to as such; probably because someone's dad would listen to them.

Not bands someone's dad used to listen to when he was younger.
Dad Rock is like 80s<
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
what the ****? they make fun of you for listening to Radiohead? those bastards!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by fender_696
I am sometimes derided by a certain group of my friends by listening to so-called "Dad Rock".

I am referring to supposedly glum, middle-of-the-road, inoffensive bands such as Coldplay, Stereophonics, Doves, Travis, Starsailor and, to a lesser extent, some Radiohead and Elbow. I have a pretty eclectic taste in music, but love these bands.

Starsailor, dad rock!?

I'd associate the phrase more with classic rock, the bands you listed have plenty of young fans. It is quite nice to see another Starsailor fan on here, though
I get what OP means.

Modern bands whose main audience seems to be dads.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
While it would seem (and pretty much makes more sense) that dad rock would be Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin and stuff, dad rock is an actual term used to describe stuff like newer U2 and Wilco.

Some of it is pretty good, but listening to too much of it gives a "wow I've heard this same song 328 times already..." feeling.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by Simsimius
I get what OP means.

Exactly.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Check out number 4:

"Music that Boomers would listen to and/or write themselves. Picturing a 35-50 year old dance to these tracks puts your stomach in a knot. Inherently uncool. However, some very good bands today write embarrasing Dad Rock tracks.

They also tend to have long titles.
U2 - Stuck In A Moment..., Sometimes You Can't Make It..., Coldplay - God Put A Smile..., A Rush Of Blood, Oasis - Little By Little, Where Did It All Go Wrong?"

That's what I am referring to.
Quote by fender_696
Check out number 4:

"Music that Boomers would listen to and/or write themselves. Picturing a 35-50 year old dance to these tracks puts your stomach in a knot. Inherently uncool. However, some very good bands today write embarrasing Dad Rock tracks.

They also tend to have long titles.
U2 - Stuck In A Moment..., Sometimes You Can't Make It..., Coldplay - God Put A Smile..., A Rush Of Blood, Oasis - Little By Little, Where Did It All Go Wrong?"

That's what I am referring to.

Check the thumbs down on number 4. 29 up, 90 down
ITS GOTTA BE RIGHT !
Ibanez AW200 ( Discontinued )
Jackson DKMGT Black
Squire Telecaster Classic Vibe 50's w/ Noiseless Specials
SX Bass ( Vintage Series Custom Hand Made )
-----------------------------
Roland Cube 30x
Peavey Classic 30----Boss RC-2
Quote by Simsimius
I get what OP means.

except that doesnt really apply to these bands at all

i dont know any dads that listen to coldplay or radiohead.

i know dozens that listen to whitesnake, AC/DC, GNR, etc.

the term just doesnt work
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
I used to listen to a lot of Radiohead, but they bore my stiff lately. Starsailor are terrible too.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Radiohead is a terrible example.

Foo Fighters, Dave Matthew's Band, Blues Traveler, Hootie and the Blowfish, Wilco, etc. are all much better examples.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by ihavenoname93
except that doesnt really apply to these bands at all

i dont know any dads that listen to coldplay or radiohead.

i know dozens that listen to whitesnake, AC/DC, GNR, etc.

the term just doesnt work

The dads in your area need to get over their childhoods. There's tons of dads that like dad rock here, my dad included.

And despite the ratings on UD and what logic would tell you, I'm certain that anytime you hear someone referring to "dad rock" they're not talking about classic rock. I can't believe some of you haven't heard the term before.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
So dads who listen to dad rock are considered cool?
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
So dads who listen to dad rock are considered cool?
I have no idea mate...

I have confused myself now....
you know... there are plenty of people who were in their late teens/early twenties when rage against the machine and stuff was going on. surely some of them are parents now. is that considered dad rock?
Page 1 of 2