Okay guys, I have an Mbox and I would like to use that as my interface and use the iSight to record me as I play. I have tried this using iMovie and I just can't seem to get it to work.
Is there any freeware available which would let me do this? I would also like to be able to put an MP3 track to the recording to play along with.
Thanks guys.
What you basically need to do is record the track in garageband while recording the video in a different program (iMovie perhaps) and then sync them later.

You can also have iMovie use the Mbox as it's audio input but that will take exactly what comes in.

So with an Mp3 track, make a new project in Garageband and drag the Mp3 you want in there from itunes. Create a new instrument track with however you want to do the guitar (simulator or mic). Open iMovie and create a new project. Hit command i (I believe) to capture video. Start recording your video, then start recording your audio. Edit and export your GB track to iTunes. Drag it into iMovie. Sync it and lower the volume of the original video.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The best things in life usually aren't easy. That's why people get paid the big bucks to do this kind of stuff. If you don't want an Mp3 you can record directly into iMovie but I promise you, everyone on youtube that has the cool videos like that (including myself) records them into a DAW with the video separate and then syncs them.

To be honest, playing not included I can turn out a video in about 20 minutes if it doesn't need much editing like a guitar solo over a backing track or a single acoustic guitar.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at May 16, 2011,