Page 1 of 2
Okay I'm really F****** pissed right now.

Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul Custom

I took the strings off to clean the fretboard. And when I put new strings back, there was buzz all over the 5 first frets and in the middle! I mean, COME ON!!!!!!!

10 minutes!! It took this piece of crap Epiphone 10 F***ING minutes tp F**** the neck up!!!

Btw, the strings were the same as the old ones, same gauge and everything.

And now since this morning (4pm here) I'm trying to get it back right, adjusting the trussrod and the bridge. And still can't get it right...

/RANT
Try new strings.
---------------------------
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
Korg Pitch Black, MXR Carbon Copy.
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
What do you mean ? Another brand ? Old and new ones were EB .10 .46 . The same gauge I used since I got the guitar a year ago.

Makes me HATE Epiphone and their STUPID piece of crap necks...
Quote by alans056
And now since this morning (4pm here) I'm trying to get it back right, adjusting the trussrod and the bridge. And still can't get it right...

Uh-oh Spaghetti-O. How much have you done with the truss rod? I'm not sure about why it'd get so out of whack with the neck off so briefly, but if you've made major adjustments to the truss rod without allowing it to settle than you've got bigger problems.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Brand new strings can buzz a little bit, as along as you can't hear it though the amp your fine.

But, I'll bet you've screwed the neck up yourself, with the truss rod adjustments. Take it to a shop, and understand that new strings will buzz a little.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Have you been replacing the strings one by one over the past year instead of taking all of them off to change at once.

Based on the Epis I've play with from friends before, they didn't do a good setup at the factory. How many turns did you make on the truss rod and how long did you wait between turns and how much did you turn at a time?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I let 1 hour between each setting and I didn't turn the truss rod very much, maybe 5mm something like that.

I am well aware that truss rods can break. Have I done any damage there ?

I have always changed my strings 1 at the time so I never got buzz with new ones...
My guess is that you're experiencing the problem I've experienced with 4 out of 5 Epis. Poor setup, or the lack thereof. Just stop messin with it and bring it to a professional for a proper setup.

Something like this happens to everyone once.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Calm down. Stop playing around with your rod. Leave it as it is for a few hours, then fret the low e-string at the first and the last fret, and look at the 8th/9th fret. How much space is there between the string and the fretwire? It's best to use a capo on the first fret, so you'd have one free hand left - you can use picks of different thicknesses as feeler-gauges to measure how much space there is. After you've done that, report back in.
Alright I will do that.

But just a quick question : since I got the problem, I have adjusted the truss rod maybe, 5 times. I let between 35/45min between each setting.

Have I done damage to the neck ?? I hope not because I can't even afford a new strap!!
^^ No, don't get scared. That's a fair amount of time. Some people say to turn it a quarter turn and wait an hour or so, and I'm sure you haven't done much damage if you wait 45 mins.

Just take it to a guitar tech/shop.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by alans056
Alright I will do that.

But just a quick question : since I got the problem, I have adjusted the truss rod maybe, 5 times. I let between 35/45min between each setting.

Have I done damage to the neck ?? I hope not because I can't even afford a new strap!!
Unlikely that you've done any damage. I tweak my truss rods all the time, usually right after I acquire a guitar. And taking all the strings off won't hurt anything.
Quote by TheQuailman
Calm down. Stop playing around with your rod.

+1
Quote by Yagushgi
It should be legal to kill each other. That'd put an end to debates and forums like this AND help with population control.
Quote by Vincent745
stfu you stupid ass cracker. go eat some chocolate ass cream.

Quote by RockGuitar92
generally its not a good idea to take all the strings off at once as you are greatly reducing the amount of tension on the neck which will often **** it up, so im not sur[rised it happened tbh
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Few. okay, so now I don't touch the guitar, and ask for a set up!

Ugh this kind of stuff really is a pain. Is that because Epiphone are cheap ? Would I have the same problem with Gibson ?
Depends. I don't trust Epi's hardware - it's functional, but it's hardly heavy duty. If the truss-rod is milled from cheap, soft metal, it can break easily. But if it hasn't snapped so far, you're probably good.
If the buzz is near or at the first fret then it could be a problem with your nut because they will wear down over time due to friction from tuning which can cause it to become low enough to cause buzz against the first few frets on the guitar. Especialy if it's a plastic nut which most epiphone's are fitted with.

So long as you didn't give the truss rod more than a quarter turn at a time it should be fine as you have given it more than enough time between adjustments
Quote by RetroGunslinger
generally its not a good idea to take all the strings off at once as you are greatly reducing the amount of tension on the neck which will often **** it up, so im not sur[rised it happened tbh

This is simply not true. I always take off all the strings when changing them and have yet to experience any trouble save for the need of tiny setup-adjustments.

Also, how is anyone supposed to clean the fretboard without taking everything off?
BTW, the buzz you described would lead me to add relief (i.e. loosen the truss rod). And to give you an idea of how little taking the strings off affects the neck....

I removed a floyd rose by taking off the springs, but never unlocked the strings. I replaced the pickups and replaced the FR and springs. The guitar was still in tune without touching the tuners and after having the strings removed for an hour.
Do you pre-stretch you strings. If not, try that and then tune up. It might put more tension on your neck.

Don't pre-stretch them too much or you might kill them.
Quote by RetroGunslinger

This is bull tbh. So long as you dont do it more than once a month and ensure they dont stay off for more than a few days then it's fine. It only becomes a problem if you are going to leave it without strings for long periods of time and even then if you know how to work a truss rod that isn't a problem either. Cleaning, stoning, refretting guitars and installing pickups all require the strings to be removed and your guitar doesn't come back broken when you get something like that done
Quote by fly135
BTW,And to give you an idea of how little taking the strings off affects the neck....

I removed a floyd rose by taking off the springs, but never unlocked the strings. I replaced the pickups and replaced the FR and springs. The guitar was still in tune without touching the tuners and after having the strings removed for an hour.

Nice....
Quote by RetroGunslinger

Not total bull... but it's an issue to be concerned with in acoustic guitars - and some really cheap electrics with light wood and wimpy truss rods.
Quote by hendo <3 valves
This is bull tbh. So long as you dont do it more than once a month and ensure they dont stay off for more than a few days then it's fine. It only becomes a problem if you are going to leave it without strings for long periods of time and even then if you know how to work a truss rod that isn't a problem either. Cleaning, stoning, refretting guitars and installing pickups all require the strings to be removed and your guitar doesn't come back broken when you get something like that done

Finally, people who don't follow old wives tales about not taking all strings off.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Thanks all for all the info

When I go to a guitar tech and ask for a set up, what is it really ? I'd like to know.
Every time I replace the guitar strings in my Epiphone Les Paul, I remove ALL strings. This way I can clean the fret board, the body I cant normally clean when the strings are installed and the pick ups. When the strings are installed everything works, didn't have to adjust the truss rod.
Quote by alans056
Thanks all for all the info

When I go to a guitar tech and ask for a set up, what is it really ? I'd like to know.

They restring, set the height and intonation. They might adjust the truss too.

FYI- truss adjustment isn't for setting string height, that's done at the bridge. So don't mess with it to try and correct action.

If you have any rough frets, or a fret is too high (might be the problem with ur buzzing) and they file, it's extra.
Explain to the tech how you like your action (low or high).
Last edited by 667 at May 16, 2011,
I find that when replacing strings, especially when i used ernie balls, they were a little buzzy for the first day or so. Then they kinda settled and were alright.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ok its a secret i am only sharing with you do not tell this to anyone
put the guitar on a side call your family and friends do this
www.youtube.com/watch?&gl=US&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&v=LEl-yJQvXaE&nomobile=1
and follow the steps shown in the video it'l help trust me
your guitar will stop buzzing after that
if you dont beileve me ask my fellow ug'ers
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Any proper tech setup should include:

Nut slot check and file if the slot is too high - recommendation for replacement if the slots are too deep for the guage of stings($$extra$$).

Full fret inspection for proud and worn frets - will be capable of a fret level & recrowning if needed($$extra$$).

Inspection of saddles for signs of wear and filing of any sharp rough edges - can cause nasty string breaks and bad sustain.

Lubrication of saddles and nut

Machineheads lubed and any loose parts tightened

Intonation set

Truss rod adjust

Action set

Machineheads lubed and any loose parts tightened

If the tech cant do all of this stuff in his sleep take the guitar elsewhere.
Also don't pay the man till you are happy with the setup
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at May 16, 2011,
I left the strings completely off my LP-100 for a year. Put new ones back on, nothing changed. It was exactly as it was before taking them off.

I found an old Jackson in my grandparents basement that had no strings on it for probably 15-19 years. After putting new strings on, I adjusted the truss rod for about 4 minutes and it worked fine.

There's a reason truss rods exist. People GREATLY over exaggerate the effect of leaving strings off. Some people even claim that you can't take all the strings of at once when changing strings and you have to take them off one at a time and replace them before doing the next one. Anyone who claims this is either 1. an idiot or 2. ignorant and just repeats whatever they hear some 15 year old say on the internet.

90% of string buzz problems on your type of guitar are due to the truss rod needing to be adjusted, the nut being cut too deep or the bridge needing to be raised.

This is assuming that you have level frets. Just food for thought. I couldn't possibly tell you the actual problem without looking at your guitar.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Buzzing on frets 1-3 = NUT

Buzzing 4-10ish = Rod

anywhere else its the action.

This is just a generalization of course and should only form the basis of where to start looking for problems.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Last edited by halikus at May 16, 2011,
you sure you didint just lower the bridge a bit when you where changing the strings by accident?
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by deepsal
ok its a secret i am only sharing with you do not tell this to anyone
put the guitar on a side call your family and friends do this
www.youtube.com/watch?&gl=US&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&v=LEl-yJQvXaE&nomobile=1
and follow the steps shown in the video it'l help trust me
your guitar will stop buzzing after that
if you dont beileve me ask my fellow ug'ers

Can you please please please leave the site? Forever?
Wow thanks a lot everyone.

I just checked my guitar a few minutes ago (don't worry I didn't adjust anything!) there was still some buzz but quite acceptable.

I rarely play on the clean channel, and the you can't hear the buzz with overdrive (exept if it's really hard buzz). So I'm quite happy with it now.

But do I still need to see a tech ? Maybe I should see one and get the guitar set up even if the I have a slight buzz that I can live with ?
Do you know how to set up intonation? Do you like the action currently? Are any frets buzzing more than others?

If its 'yes, yes, no' then you're fine. Otherwise I'd take it in anyway. A good set up can make a shitty guitar play incredible.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by alans056
Wow thanks a lot everyone.

I just checked my guitar a few minutes ago (don't worry I didn't adjust anything!) there was still some buzz but quite acceptable.

I rarely play on the clean channel, and the you can't hear the buzz with overdrive (exept if it's really hard buzz). So I'm quite happy with it now.

But do I still need to see a tech ? Maybe I should see one and get the guitar set up even if the I have a slight buzz that I can live with ?

Can you do the measuring-thing I asked you about earlier? It would help a lot.

Going to a tech is usually the safest bet. It's not too expensive, either.
Quote by TheQuailman
Can you please please please leave the site? Forever?

awwwwwwwwwww i cant
am i not allowed to crack jokes????
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Last edited by deepsal at May 16, 2011,
yes yes and no. the buzzing frets all buzz at the same level.

Is it possible to have an electric guitar that has NO buzz whatsoever ? No buzz at all ?
Page 1 of 2