Hi all, hoping somebody can help me.
I have been playing guitar for several years and would class myself as an intermediate player, however, I haven't a clue about all the technical stuff that comes to boot.

I own an Epiphone SG G-400 and along with it I use a Zoom G2Nu effects pedal. The only missing piece to my setup is a decent amp. The one I own at the minute is a Kay Sound Fashion 50L Solid State Amplifier, a hand me down no doubt older than me.

I play a huge variety of stuff, mostly bands like guns n roses, iron maiden, whitesnake, and a lot of acoustic stuff too... For HOME USE ONLY.

Can somebody point me in the direction of a suitable amp? No more than £150...
Somebody recommended the Fender Mustang II, I looked and it seems like a pretty damn good amp. Am I heading in the wrong direction?
Marshall
Quote by Yagushgi
It should be legal to kill each other. That'd put an end to debates and forums like this AND help with population control.
Quote by Vincent745
stfu you stupid ass cracker. go eat some chocolate ass cream.

Quote by RockGuitar92
Fender Mustang II are modeling amps, so that's definately a step in the right direction for a beginner to intermediate.
Other options are Vox Valvetronix, Roland Microcube, and Peavey Vypyr. All of them modeling amps.

The Line 6 Spider series has a dreadful, digital sound to it, but other than that it's decent.

EDIT:

Quote by CarlShahuesa
Marshall

150 pounds will get you an MG at best, which are not much better than that hand-me-down amp he already has, except the other way - the Kay Sound Fashion 50L is a typical eighties cleans amp, while the MG has crushing overdrive... and nothing else.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 16, 2011,
i play mine through a Vox VT50 (though the G400 isn't my main guitar) and it sounds alright, but a high end marshall will be your best bet.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Roland Cube (Modeling, good sound, good price, lots of decent effects)

Blackstar HT-1 (All valve, Great sound for your genres, decent price, would have to buy all random effects seperately though)

Just noticed you have an effects pedal already, get the Blackstar IMO
Last edited by Capt_Clarkson at May 16, 2011,
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Roland Cube (Modeling, good sound, good price, lots of decent effects)

Blackstar HT-1 (All valve, Great sound for your genres, decent price, would have to buy all random effects seperately though)

Almost forgot about this. Awesome amps.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Dempsey68
a high end marshall will be your best bet.

No more than £150...
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
What makes the blackstar ht-1 stand out from the likes of the mustang (which is cheaper, including all it's effects)?

thanks for replying, it's been really helpful.
^ they pretend it's all-tube when it's not.

And it works, as someone in this thread has already proven.

EDIT: that being said it might be the best amp for the tones you want... just don't get blinded by the marketing spiel.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I understand, that's why I've come to ask the users of UG for advice. What better place to ask, those who understand what music is all about...

I take it you have experienced the blackstar?
nah just their shitty marketing

only blackstar i've tried is the artisan 15, which actually is all-tube, and which ironically i didn't much like
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so Dave_Mc, what would you suggest? I'm an amateur when it comes to this technical stuff. :S
did you have this thread on musicradar too? i seem to remember answering a very similar thread to this somewhere else

I'd just agree with what i said there (lol)

also the blackstar ht1 might be worth considering, but it might be over budget too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So, based on personal experience and the specification of each model. Which 2 amps out of the following would you suggest, based on my situation?

VOX Valvetronix VT15
Peavey Vypyr 15 Combo
Blackstar Ht-1
Fender Mustang II
Roland Cube 30X
I'd try the HT-1 and the VOX. If you really want effects, f*ck the HT-1 though and consider the Cube
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
i would try to get to try all of them, basically
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vox VT20+ then
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I have the Vypyr and its a pretty decent sounding amp. There are lots of settings to play with on it. That being said, if I were to buy another small modeling amp, it would be one of the Vox Valvetronix series amps. They have less effects built in, but they sound really good.
Quote by fazza82
So, based on personal experience and the specification of each model. Which 2 amps out of the following would you suggest, based on my situation?

VOX Valvetronix VT15
Peavey Vypyr 15 Combo
Blackstar Ht-1
Fender Mustang II
Roland Cube 30X

Why get another FX-modeling-section in your new amp ?

you already have all you need in your Zoom.

Get a small 5watt tube-amp - with mastervolume

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=tube_guitar_combos&oa=pra
Quote by paruwi
Why get another FX-modeling-section in your new amp ?

you already have all you need in your Zoom.

Get a small 5watt tube-amp - with mastervolume

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=tube_guitar_combos&oa=pra

this. you just need something that will give you a good foundation to put effects and distortions on top of. go in to any shop with your guitar and your pedal and try as many amps as you can. pick the one that sounds the best!
Hiwatt Higain 100.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
roland cube 40xl. dont use ur zoom pedal with it. The amp will sound good on it's own and modelling amps dont take pedals too well.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitar-amps/pid19300/cid557/roland-cube-40xl-40w-compact-guitar-amp.asp
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Pardon my ignorance I think I'm leaning towards the vox...
I see it's a favourite amongst some of the forum users...
Obviously with my pedal I don't need the extra effects but for an extra £30 the vt20+ seems like a bargain for what you get...
My question however is will the v20+ extra effects mean it loses quality compared to the vt15?