Hey guys!!

So, here's the deal. Ever since I started playing electric (Feb 21) I noticed that my wrist hurts a lot when I stop practicing. I figured it was just me getting used to the thin neck my LTD has as opposed to the monster neck my Classical has.

Well, I thought I should've gotten used to it by now, but nope, wrist still hurts, especially when I play standing up. So I thought there must be something wrong with my left hand technique.

I google for "electric guitar left hand technique" and found some info on it.

Now I'm presented with a dilemma. 99% of the pages I saw had this "rock position". And some others had this "classical position" but was still used on electric guitars that were hanging low while standing.

I thought I could help you help me (haha by putting some pics up of my left hand position.

Position I usually play at (Classical position):

G chord - FRONT and BACK

Power Chord - FRONT and BACK

Continued in next post..
Gear:
LTD EC-50
Vypyr 30

Sanpera II funds: $206

Quote by JKHC
I know....in dumpsters, closets....what next? I'm going to stand outside for the rest of the day. Maybe a guitar will fall out of the sky and I can catch it.
Rock Position (I've never played like this)

G Chord - FRONT and BACK

Power Chord - FRONT and BACK

So! I certainly provided enough information for you to help me! ::

Thanks guys!!
Gear:
LTD EC-50
Vypyr 30

Quote by JKHC
I know....in dumpsters, closets....what next? I'm going to stand outside for the rest of the day. Maybe a guitar will fall out of the sky and I can catch it.
Try to put the neck of your guitar at an higher angle , instead of having it parralel to the ground.
Your wrist should be in a less painful and sharp angle that way.

You can also try to sit in the classical position too , having your guitar lying on your left thigh.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Last edited by Good_Lord at May 16, 2011,
Quote by Output
especially when I play standing up.

If you make the strap shorter does it still hurt? A lot of guitarists have a tendency to have their guitar hanging very low when they play standing. You can really **** your wrist up doing that. And I find it really uncomfy.
Is it uncomfy for you while you're playing sat down, or just hurts after you stop?

Edit: also the higher angle thing like the guy above me said. I just noticed I have my guitar at a much higher angle to you.
Last edited by captainsnazz at May 16, 2011,
yeah, if I make the strap shorter it hurts. But less. When I play standing up I use classical hand position (unconsciously...) and when I play sitting down too. It hurts when I play sitting but a LOT less than when I'm standing.

Which technique is right?? I mean I play mostly metal, rock and alternativa. Should i use the "rock position"?
Gear:
LTD EC-50
Vypyr 30

Quote by JKHC
Don't play with your arm bent, you'll just cut off circulation and give yourself scar tissue. Wrist must be relaxed as possible.

I put my guitar between my groin area, and I've not had a problem since. I keep my wrist ideally as straight as possible. Posture is super important as well.

Also, if you have tension you're screwed. Must be relaxed as possible to attain maximum speed. When you do get maximum speed because of perfect technique, you know you're getting somewhere. Soon you can go on to sweep arpeggios and 8 finger tapping. It all takes time.
^and what about playing while standing up??
Gear:
LTD EC-50
Vypyr 30

Quote by JKHC
Quote by Output
^and what about playing while standing up??

I HATE standing up and playing. Gotta do it live though.

I actually set aside time to practice standing up. I get the guitar really high sometimes to do various things. There is one song when I play live that it does these stretchy diminished runs and I literally have to bend over to the ground to do it. I keep two straps with me actually. One set for chest height, and other a bit lower to compensate for various soloing pieces. I find it easier to swap them out real quick between songs while the vocalist interacts with the crowd.

I'm honestly thinking of bringing a chair or something. I don't give a damn what the audience thinks really. Usually they're too focused on what I'm playing to care what I'm doing.
So, umm... nobody really answered my question. Which position is right??
Gear:
LTD EC-50
Vypyr 30

Quote by JKHC
Quote by ElitiusMaxim
I put my guitar between my groin area

...and eased the seat back... she's blindin.... Im flyin... right behind in the rear view mirror now! Got that fearin.. power steerin! Pistons poppin aint no stoppin nowwwww....

PANAMA!

-----

*I think its time for my medication*
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by Output
So, umm... nobody really answered my question. Which position is right??

which ever one you find more comfortable is the right one.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
They are both right, but for different people. You have to find what is right for you, arm length, torso lenght , comfort, your guitar, are all gonna affect your standing , and sitting position.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
The rock position is essential for bends and vibrato, the "classical" position pretty much essential for nifty guitar playing, legato and barre chords. Almost everyone goes between the two.

The main thing I notice is that your wrist is a little crooked in the classical position. That and fretting with too much pressure are major causes of pain, see if you can adjust the guitars position so you can comfortably play the same notes with a straight (relaxed!) wrist.
Practice while standing, if sitting us classical position for guitar (not hand). that way its pretty close to where it will be when standing.

Fretting hand, most people use both. using classical type positioning for barre chords, power chords and sometimes open chords. then using rock position for solo / riffs and so on.

wrist pain is bad and doesn't go away after you do enough damage, I have carpal tunnel in both wrists (not just from playing guitar, but work/life etc. ) So, pull that strap up a bit higher, and angle the neck up a bit and rest when you get pain. Trust me.