Hey yall,

So... i had a spring-cleaning freakout this past weekend, and went down to the local used place and got rid of a BUNCH of stuff. I needed some $, but i had plenty leftover to get more stuff i needed... 3 sets of strings, a headphone amp... and a Jazz Bass!

Now, it's been a few years, and before, i wasn't into the Jazz Bass sound... but as my playing styles wax and wane, i've been lusting after one for a while.

So, the one i got is a 90's MiM that's been moded with a BadAss II bridge (worth a good chunck of the asking price alone). However it was the FEEL that made me snatch it up... and it's pretty... sunburst, black guard, rosewood board... mmm schmexy!

However... the pickups are kinda 'meh'. They sound okay enough, but they're just VERY quiet.

So, does anyone know of any decent pickups that i could replace? Or, is there any wiring or volume pot voodoo i can cast to make the output hotter?

If i do a pickup swap i'd like something that meets these criteria:
-more 60's sounding jazz than 70's
-under $100
-direct replacements
-passive

Thanks... i'll do a NBD pic later!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Under $100 might be a bit hard. I've got Fender SCNs in one of my Jazzes and they sound great though I wouldn't really say 60's, they set me back $105 US for the set. It might be worth shelling out the extra $26 for the Fender CS 60's set or the extra $20 for Sadowsky Jazz set. There's always Seymour Duncans Antiquity but I have a feeling they go for a bit more.

EDIT: The Fender CS 60's seem to go for $115 on eBay. Linkies. IMO Fender's higher end pickups don't get the attention they deserve.

EDIT2: Look under the pickguard, a lot of 90's MIMs have a bit of a soapbar route in the neck position going on, could make for some interesting combos if you don't mind resizing the pickguard a bit.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at May 16, 2011,
Hmm on my jazz bass i got some old american pickups and put them in there and they have a really hot output and sound great but this soesnt help you so much.

I personnally really like nordstrands and bartaloni's(spelling ive forgotten). But both os those would come out over 100.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Well... i found the probable culprit...

The previous owner tried to muscle in a bridge pup in the neck position. The pole positions don't line up... this makes me kinda question the wiring in general, haha.

So, i think i'll just buy a neck pup (yay, cheaper!), because now i suppose i have two options for the neck

Thanks guys!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Seymour duncan basslines sjb-3 neck and bridge set, they sell for $65-75 per pickup
Quote by Bag'ed
Hahaha, any paticular reason why the bassist needs to be female or are you just noncing?
You know, school girl and all that, 14-17?
Man, just get out your School of Rock DVD out and crack one off, don't go ruining young girls virtues!
It's definitely worth looking at custom pickup builders when it comes to getting a specific vintage tone.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Well gang...

Sometimes it completely confounds me as to WHY previous owners of basses i buy do what they do to them...

In this case, the previous owner switched the neck and bridge pickups completely and then did a crap-tastic job re-soldering them. On top of that, because the bridge pup was wedged under the pickguard, so it couldn't even be raised....

Swapped them, re-soldered, LOVE my new Jazz bass.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!