well i was wanting to know if (gulp) guitarcenters techs are generally any good, since we dont have any really reputible techs around here (peoria il) thx in advance
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
guess it depends on a store to store basis dude.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ yeah but in general well thats kinda hard to do but well does any know anything about the one in peoria ill then good guitar techs
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
if there was a tech within an hour driving id take it to them and pass on GC. it seems to me that most of those guys are retards. i know at my local GC the "tech" is a cocky little F-er and they charge 20 bucks for a string change.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
They're wayyyy overpriced, that's all I know.

What are you having done?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
the GC that i go to has an actual luthier, and i talk to him regurlarly. he is a nice older guy and a world of knowledge (in his 60's). management created the position just for him, from what i can tell he does great work (however i have not used him, i do all my own stuff).

what is interesting however, is that he says that the tech position that is now in most GC's is being filled by salesmen, and he said quite a bit of their work is scary.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by iheartgun
if there was a tech within an hour driving id take it to them and pass on GC. it seems to me that most of those guys are retards. i know at my local GC the "tech" is a cocky little F-er and they charge 20 bucks for a string change.

When I worked at a local store I charged a lot for string changes too. Why? So people learn to do it themselves. It's a waste of time for guitar shop employees to spend their time changing strings on guitars that are already sold. And quite honestly, it's a huge pain in the ass. Especially when there is other stuff that needs done.

I'm sure the GC tech would have an idea what he was doing at the very least, but that company's main goal is to sell and you have to keep that in mind.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
If you want it set up well. Take it to Tim Schroeder in Chicago. Costs more, worth every penny.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 16, 2011,
Quote by 3074326
I'm sure the GC tech would have an idea what he was doing at the very least, but that company's main goal is to sell and you have to keep that in mind.

Isn't that the main goal of every company?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Isn't that the main goal of every company?

Of course, but local stores can't afford to slack when it comes to knowledge, service, etc. Huge chains like GC really don't care about anything but selling. Well.. they care, but sales are the top priority to a fault sometimes.

That being said, there are still some great people working at GC. It's just not going to be consistent everywhere.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the GC that i go to has an actual luthier, and i talk to him regurlarly. he is a nice older guy and a world of knowledge (in his 60's). management created the position just for him, from what i can tell he does great work (however i have not used him, i do all my own stuff).

what is interesting however, is that he says that the tech position that is now in most GC's is being filled by salesmen, and he said quite a bit of their work is scary.

Which GC is this?
love is love // return to dust
Quote by tancanada
Which GC is this?

on Drew street in clearwater, which is just north of 60 on US 19. he is a really nice guy, i even forgot to mention, i brought a guitar to demo some amps with, and it was having an issue i couldn't figure out (which is pretty rare), he put it up on his bench, looked it over and told me what i needed to do to fix it, just in good faith. didn't pay a dime, where another tech could charge you $XX just to put it on their bench.

just another thing to mention in general, all of the sales guys are pretty good there, they know me and i know them, big rob or ben is who i would deal with if you are looking for something there.

the only downside to that store is that they never carry any really high end amps. think $1.5k+, which is what loses them a lot of business (at least the business coming from my bank account.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at May 16, 2011,
they are overpriced. the tech at my store seems to know a fair amount but it doesn't seem like they even do any complicated repairs at GC. they also deal with constant traffic so i don't know how much time they really take on repairs.
They installed my blackouts in my les paul. 70 dollars later and 4 weeks later(after he gave me a 3 day time estimate) I finally got it back. I had to call the bastard every day and finally told him I was coming to get it. He then decided to do it. Never again. I have since done all the work my self.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
GC doesn't hire the techs, they hire another company to do all the repairs and setups.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by MatrixClaw

What are you having done?

basicly a whole setup and frets dressed
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Quote by rhino1957
basicly a whole setup and frets dressed

you live in the sticks bro.

it's like starving in Ethopia.

move where the food is.

well, at least take your guitar to a good tech like Tim Shroeder or the guys at Chicago Fret Works. Both do very good work.

in Peoria? probably not going to happen.

i know i've told you that before but...
Quote by gregs1020
you live in the sticks bro.

it's like starving in Ethopia.

move where the food is.

well, at least take your guitar to a good tech like Tim Shroeder or the guys at Chicago Fret Works. Both do very good work.

in Peoria? probably not going to happen.

i know i've told you that before but...

yeah it was worth another shot tho. you would think the second bigest city in Illinios would have a decent guitar luthier
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Quote by rhino1957
yeah it was worth another shot tho. you would think the second bigest city in Illinios would have a decent guitar luthier

second by how much? that's quite the disparity.

i hear you. good luck.

i can't say enough good stuff about the guys i've mentioned here. Both are top notch.
Quote by lbj273
GC doesn't hire the techs, they hire another company to do all the repairs and setups.
This. although I have seen a soldering iron on the counter at a Guitar Center.
^ huh our gc has a creepy looking dude working on guitars. i know like 6 months ago they had a really great tech but i dont know anything about this guy
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Depends on the location I'd guess.... I bought a Strat from Guitar Center that was nice except for a F'd up nut. Before I said I'd buy it I made the kid take it to the tech to see if he could fix it. He did, and did a great job too, so I bought the guitar.