Hi All

just begining to learn to play guitar and wanted to know...

When i play tunes that are Chords, i'm fine playing but i want to learn more new stuff. When i get Tabs from wherever how do i work out the strumming patterns for the song?

Is it just by ear, or is there a way of actually working it out properly?

PS if you have any good tabs for beginner tunes feel free to message me, always looking for a challenge!!

Many Thanks
Nathan
You need to just listen to the song. Before I really knew how to strum I would mute the strings and listen to the song and practice matching the strumming then I would incoporate chords into it.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Tabs usually don't have a strumming pattern marked on them. Learning by ear is, for one, the best way to learn it, and secondly, it trains your ear to hear the instruments better.
Marty Schwartz introduced me to (quality) strumming. He's a guitar teacher on youtube. Easy songs a plenty.
Quote by nlynn
Hi All

just begining to learn to play guitar and wanted to know...

When i play tunes that are Chords, i'm fine playing but i want to learn more new stuff. When i get Tabs from wherever how do i work out the strumming patterns for the song?

Is it just by ear, or is there a way of actually working it out properly?

PS if you have any good tabs for beginner tunes feel free to message me, always looking for a challenge!!

Many Thanks
Nathan

for the srumming pattern from tabs...certain tabbers include the pattern. not all of them. However...it is best if you listen to the song and get the pattern from there. it is much precise.
Programs such as Guitar Pro are good for learning strumming patterns and timings as they can physically play the tab for you.
You Just Lost The Game
The important thing is to keep your right hand moving like a pendulum - that's what the best guitarists do. The rhythm comes out by whether or not the pick makes contact with the strings.