----------------------------------12-----------------------------------12---------------------------------
-12---12----------------------------15 12-----------------------------15 12-------------------------
----15---15 14 12 14 15-----------------15 14 12 14 15--------------------15 14 12 14 15--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So after much debate ,I've decided to learn Panteras walk solo. Everything is going great except the intro after the 2 bends. {example above} How is this section picked? I want to sit down with a metronome and work it out, but I want to use the correct tech. I have tried barring the 12 fret and using hammer on pull offs, that didnt feel right. Someone else said alternate pick every note, not shure about that either. I have also tried a sweep like pattern where I just pick the 1st note on each string then hammer on pull off the rest, but I'm just unshure of the correct way. Please help me if you know this solo. As always thanks.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
I'd go for economy picking , give it a try. Start by up picking on 12 , then so on.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Last edited by Good_Lord at May 16, 2011,
I use a hybrid for that solo. I always downpick the 12 note that starts off the sections (ex: 12 15 12 15 at the beginning, I always downpick the 12 and up pick the 15), then the rest you can just do from alternate picking or economy -- whichever is easier
So you guys pick every note? No hammer on pull offs?
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
I gave starting on an upstroke a try, seems like it might work, although outside picking feels kinda weird. I can't imagine how long it would take to play fast enough to pick every note though. Seems impossible. Anyone else have any insight here?
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Ok so after all this time Ive managed to only get up to about 60% speed alternate picking this riff. Anyone got any input on this?
Quote by AeolianSeventh
a week isn't "all this time"... a week is just a week.

Things take as long as they take, you can't force the issue. If you're not good enough yet then you just have to keep practicing until you are.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I was looking for someone who can actually play it, because I believe I am not training the correct technique ya know. But then again maybe you are right.

edit: I have actually been on this solo over a month and a half , I only asked for help a week ago, if it matters.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Last edited by cooper1965 at May 24, 2011,
No, it's not alternate picked, just watch a video of him playing it. There is one really good one that gkves a nice veiw of what he's doing.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Quote by brandon2784
No, it's not alternate picked, just watch a video of him playing it. There is one really good one that gkves a nice veiw of what he's doing.

Hey man I wanted to really thank you here. I had watched alot of videos of this solo, and some of dimes, when I took a look I found the one you referred too and OMG it helped soo much. I have already increased another 15% in speed. I can almost see everything he is doing, except for the g string. Can you tell if the G string is picked once or twice?? This is what I believe to be correct. After the double bend it looks like a pulloff to the first 12 that starts the section. I cant tell if the 12 on the G string is picked or just pulled off. Maybe one of you wonderful UG patrons can take a look at what I have here and see if you think its right or wrong. Thanks again for all the help, I am sooo much further now than I could have been without the UG members advice.

E------------------------------------12---------------------------------12-------------------------------
B-p12---12----------------------------15p12--------------------------15p12-----------------------
G-----15---15p14p12h14h15-------------15p14p12h14h15-------------15p14p12h14h15-
--------u--d-u------------------------d--u-------d----------------------d-u---------d--------------
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Last edited by cooper1965 at May 27, 2011,
Quote by cooper1965
Hey man I wanted to really thank you here. I had watched alot of videos of this solo, and some of dimes, when I took a look I found the one you referred too and OMG it helped soo much. I have already increased another 15% in speed. I can almost see everything he is doing, except for the g string. Can you tell if the G string is picked once or twice?? This is what I believe to be correct. After the double bend it looks like a pulloff to the first 12 that starts the section. I cant tell if the 12 on the G string is picked or just pulled off. Maybe one of you wonderful UG patrons can take a look at what I have here and see if you think its right or wrong. Thanks again for all the help, I am sooo much further now than I could have been without the UG members advice.

E------------------------------------12---------------------------------12-------------------------------
B-p12---12----------------------------15p12--------------------------15p12-----------------------
G-----15---15p14p12h14h15-------------15p14p12h14h15-------------15p14p12h14h15-
--------u--d-u------------------------d--u-------d----------------------d-u---------d--------------

Looks like you have the right idea!
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Quote by FlorinC
Dude...learn from the man himself:

http://youtu.be/ucB3RwE8pII

Scrub to 0:40 for the Walk solo.

This really makes me want to somewhat get this down again.

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Quote by FlorinC
Dude...learn from the man himself:

http://youtu.be/ucB3RwE8pII

Scrub to 0:40 for the Walk solo.

Yeah, this is the video I am slowing down and looking at, it is still very difficult to see the picking pattern after the double bend. I am now thinking the pattern is actually
u d u u d d u d d ,{still retaining the hammer on pull offs} as appossed to what I wrote in an earlier post. But I am still unshure, its so hard to tell, and I am still struggling with it......Can anyone else definitively see the picking pattern?
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Last edited by cooper1965 at May 31, 2011,