Hey guys first of all I apologise if this is a repeated thread, I had a quick look through the forum but couldn't find anything related to my question . Basically I need a new amp that will be powerful enough for gigs. I have the Boss gt-10 so ideally I need a clean amp; no modelling amps. I know the gt-10 is meant for the Roland Jc120 but thats way out of my budget. I am looking at around £500 tops. Therefore I need a cheaper alternative to the JC120. The majority of the amps I have been looking at on GAK.co.uk are modelling amps and im not sure what im looking for anymore I am not the most experienced when it comes to amps btw so sorry if this seems a noob question. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well the band that I play in plays brit rock but Im really into 80's metal, modern metal and prog rock. Stuff like that really. I just figured that I could get a clean amp and then use the GT-10 to make the sound. To be honest I dont care if its second hand or not as long as I get a good amp that works. The only reason I was going to buy new was to get the warranty.
fuck that shit, get something hot rod marshally

traynor ycv50b, ~£400 on thomann. you'd have enough left for an od pedal for a boost too. 3 year warranty too.

laney gh50l, you can normally still pick one up new for less than £500 (but you'd need a cab too). S/H would be well under budget.

any of those will make your gt10 sound like a toy
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, what Dave is saying. An amp that is made for these styles will absolutely slay the GT10, no matter what you plug it into.

The YCV50B is a safe bet, it'll do what you want and the price Thomann's been selling them at for the last year or so is crazy:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_custom_wave_ycv50b.htm

Also agreed on the GH50L suggestion - it's a one-channel amp, but it's basically a JCM800-clone with a couple extra features and a buttload more gain. It basically screams '80s and is cool for proggy stuff, too. It's not perfect for modern metal, but it's as close as you'll get around that price range. I got mine and a good 2x12" cab for 550€ combined, which is what, 450 quid? They can be picked up dirt cheap in the UK if you take your time and keep your eyes open.
You can also get a Laney VC50, which is basically the same thing, but with a clean channel in combo form. I've seen them go for under 300 quid on ebay pretty often.
Quote by TheQuailman
Yeah, what Dave is saying. An amp that is made for these styles will absolutely slay the GT10, no matter what you plug it into.

The YCV50B is a safe bet, it'll do what you want and the price Thomann's been selling them at for the last year or so is crazy:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_custom_wave_ycv50b.htm

Also agreed on the GH50L suggestion - it's a one-channel amp, but it's basically a JCM800-clone with a couple extra features and a buttload more gain. It basically screams '80s and is cool for proggy stuff, too. It's not perfect for modern metal, but it's as close as you'll get around that price range. I got mine and a good 2x12" cab for 550€ combined, which is what, 450 quid? They can be picked up dirt cheap in the UK if you take your time and keep your eyes open.
You can also get a Laney VC50, which is basically the same thing, but with a clean channel in combo form. I've seen them go for under 300 quid on ebay pretty often.

+infinity
THe GT-10 isnt exactly a great modeller.
As an all in one unit, much cheaper units like the POD's and RP's are far better modelling wise.

However, as an effects unit to be used in conjunction with a regular amp, either in 4CM or with switching relays (it has those right?) it is an awesome piece of hardware- some of the best effects available short of rack units.

I second the GH, a VH is also good, essentially a two channel GH.
Used Mesa Stilletto? Peavey VTM?
Ceriatone Marshall clone? Used Marshall JCM800? Those things can easily be gotten for your budget....
^^

ooh that reminds me, guitar guitar is also blowing out the 100 watt jet city heads for like £529. Might also be worth considering (but again you'd need a cab, so if that budget is for the cab too, it won't work too well).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wow your recommendations are overwelming . Thanks for all your replies So what your saying basically is the gt-10 was a waste of money and I shouldnt get the JC120? I got to say I get quite a lot of good sounds out of the gt-10 but I haven't tried many other effects units so I can't argue with what your saying. So are you sayin I should get the traynor ycv50b? Will this go well with the gt-10 coz I can't afford to buy a new fx unit too so I will need to use the gt-10. Also just double checking but 50w will be ok to gig with won't it?
yeah i mean there's no reason why you can't use the gt10 for other fx like modulations and stuff, but if you're mainly playing heavier rock etc. then i'd get an amp which is aimed at that tone, and maybe use a standalone OD to boost it if needs be.

i don't gig but 50 watts tube should be fine, it's really, really loud.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wattage doesn't mean much, but the YCV is plenty loud, so don't worry about that.

The GT10 wasn't a waste of money - if you need a lot of effects and want them in a compact setup, it's a perfectly valid choice. It's just that when it comes to providing the basic things, for example a good distorted guitar tone, a good amp like the YCV is so so so much better.

For example, I've owned a modelling processer myself, a Vox Tonelab SE - it has it's pros and cons, but when it comes to providing actual amp modelling (clean, distorted or whatever), it's definitely one of the best units for it's price. But still, my actual amp sounds so much better, I lost interest in the Tonelab completely.
So would you say if I got the YCV and used the GT-10 I should use the distortion channel on the amp and then turn off any distortion or overdrive on the gt10 and use that just for effects? Yeah I guess 50w should be adequate because I went to the guitar shop today and tried out a 20W Rockstar amp that the member of staff recommended and that was pretty damn loud lol
Yeah, that's what I'd do. You can try your GT10's distortion of course, you might just end up liking it through the YCV. The amp will still massively colour your tone if you do that, so it will still sound completely different that what you're used to with the GT10.

A typical setup would be having the GT10 in the YCV's effects-loop, that way you can use for example modulation effects after preamp-distortion, which is usually what you want with a lot of distortion.
^ yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice one. Thank you so much for all your advice. just 2 last questions what is the chance of getting this amp for this coming friday lol as that is when the gig is lol. I've never used thomann before I usually use gak.co.uk with next day delivery. I'm guessing its a german website with it ending in .de. so chances are it will take a week. Also will this be good to play brit rock in my band. I love metal but I got to sound right for the band too lol
I'm usually not a fan of bringing gear I'm not familiar with yet to a gig, I like to get to know an amp before hauling it on stage. :/

It'll do brit rock fine. It sounds a bit more agressive than the amps you'll typically use for that music, but it'll handle it no problem. For that price, you won't find anything better anyway.

EDIT: Last time I ordered something from the UK, it arrived in Germany two days later. Shouldn't be much longer the other way around, aye?
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 16, 2011,
Very good call indeed TheQuailman I think I will use it for my next gig which is on the 28th. That gives me enough time to get hold of the amp and practice with it. Definitely set on getting this ycv amp for sure. Quite excited to know what I'm getting now Im glad I asked on here now because I would have never known about this amp, I've not come across it before. I'm going to sound a real noob now but what artists use this amp? Is thomann the best place to buy it from?
i would assume a week.

i'm in NI, though, stuff normally takes a bit longer to get here than to england/scotland/wales.

the only thing i'd say about the traynor is i've heard you have to remove the whole chassis to change tubes- if that's true, it's a pain, plus dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

but aside from that it's an excellent deal. Not sure about endorsers... traynor tends to be the good value choice in america/canada (where it's made), i'm guessing the endorsers go for the bigger brands. That doesn't mean the bigger brands are better, maybe they just pay more or are more easy to pick up if their existing gear breaks (it's easier to find a marshall if you're halfway round a world tour than a traynor, usually).

thomann's the only place i know of which has it at that price, yeah. I think if you check the traynor site thomann is like one of the few dealers in europe, lol.

thomann is excellent, fwiw. been really impressed with their service.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by foundprophet
Wow your recommendations are overwelming . Thanks for all your replies So what your saying basically is the gt-10 was a waste of money and I shouldnt get the JC120? I got to say I get quite a lot of good sounds out of the gt-10 but I haven't tried many other effects units so I can't argue with what your saying. So are you sayin I should get the traynor ycv50b? Will this go well with the gt-10 coz I can't afford to buy a new fx unit too so I will need to use the gt-10. Also just double checking but 50w will be ok to gig with won't it?

No it isnt a waste.
Fred Akerfeldt uses one for effects. Im not gonna argue with him
Well its decided then YCV off Thomann. If it comes to replacing the tubes I reckon I would pay someone to fix it because Im not the best when it comes to any type of DIY lol. It tends to end up in a worse position once I try fixing things lol. Would a tech in the UK be ok with an American amp or will they just look at it and think ... Oh and GS LEAD 5 I second that statement lol
nah a uk tech should be fine with it

i mean it's based on a marshall lol

if you're willing to pay someone to switch tubes then the removing the chassis thing won't be a problem.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok great well I'm hoping I won't have problems with it in the first year or two anyway because I don't tend to crank it up when I'm practicing. So tubes shouldn't need replacing for a while
yeah, with any luck.

though they're a bit like lightbulbs, they can just blow. while they're less likely to wear out or blow if you're only playing at home volumes, it's still no guarantee.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well its a chance I'm going to have to take lol. So is it likely to blow if I crank the volume right up or is it quite a tough amp
no idea

i don't think (as long as the amp is well-designed) cranking it up should really blow anything, it just wears out the valves (and speaker, i guess) more quickly. like the way driving at 70 will wear your car out more quickly, but you don't expect it to explode...

i think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bear in mind i don't know anything about cars. that might be way off

i don't know that much about valve amps either, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wow i must have dodged a bullet
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dang
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Haha yeah people won't stick to the speed limits so they have brought in a new method of reducing speeding related accidents. Instead of the speeder taking someone out with them they just blow up before they have the chance to